McKinley Name Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brian M View Post
    Oh, for crying out loud... Every single president has made politically-timed announcements, appointments, and executive proclamations. Every...single...one. I get that people don't like his policies, and neither do I for the most part. Criticisms of the timing fall flat, though, as it is exclusively from people who make it about the man, not the action. Every president from George Washington on down has made similarly timed moves. Regardless, it was the right decision. At least this president had the balls to do it.
    Yes...........
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Comment

Originally posted by Brian M View Post
      Legislation to change the name has been before congress for what, 40 years? Frankly, I couldn't care less if the current president gets some credit for this. Heck, he should. Bush, Reagan, Clinton...none of them took action. Alaska has been asking for this for decades and it finally happened. Frankly, it was the right decision and should be lauded. To complain because of the person who authorized the move by the secretary of interior is ridiculous.
      BS....It may be the thing to do, But the reason that past presidents took no action is that the President has no authority to change a street name never mind a mountian. But I guess a King is able to.

Comment

Originally posted by sharps5090 View Post
        BS....It may be the thing to do, But the reason that past presidents took no action is that the President has no authority to change a street name never mind a mountian. But I guess a King is able to.
        Wrong. Well...technically the right to do so rests with the Secretary of Interior. Past presidents could have ordered or allowed their secretary of interior to do. Perhaps you could argue that such an authority shouldn't rest with the executive branch, but it does by law.

Comment

Originally posted by sharps5090 View Post
          Executive orders...... W. had some right before he left. He set aside millions of acres of land/sea that he didn't need congress for. Now did people call him king george?
          "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Comment

Comment

Comment

Ha! Talk about sour grapes! "I like it, and it was the right thing to do, but there must be something nefarious going on because I don't like the dude that made it happen"!
                I applaud the decision maker on this name change, and would do so no matter who it was, Trump, Obama, or even Bear Grylls (British SAS, right?!?)
                Like his policies or not, as a patriot, it's pretty cool that the POTUS was chilling on the Peninsula this week. This place is pretty cool.

Comment

It sounds innocent enough but just 2 days later, they take 10 feet off the top of it. Just another example of the bait and switch, take-take-take, policies from the Obama administration. Whats next, rewriting our tide tables?

https://www.adn.com/article/20150902...ummit-altitude

Comment

Originally posted by Milo View Post
                    Whats next, rewriting our tide tables?
                    Do you recall when the Bush administration proposed renaming tide tables back to the original Texas native name "tide mesas"?
                    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Originally posted by Milo View Post
                      It sounds innocent enough but just 2 days later, they take 10 feet off the top of it. Just another example of the bait and switch, take-take-take, policies from the Obama administration. Whats next, rewriting our tide tables?https://www.adn.com/article/20150902...ummit-altitude
                      Maybe 10 feet has melted off the top or maybe it didn't and they're going to say it did. I have heard of other mountains that are decreasing in size. Some from things like erosion. Maybe they should measure it again during the winter? Which make me wonder what time of the year it was measured the last time the mountain was measured. When it comes to climate. The UN has one main goal and that is population reduction. Anyone interested enough can access articles/conversations about it on the Climate One / UN site. I would love to add some links but they would probably get deleted. Alaska has one of the lowest populations with the most resources and largest state. As companies ruin the resources in lower 48, more and more companies will look to exploit Alaska because of it's resources. Pa now has radioactive waterways because of fracking. (10 Mile Creek) Then there's the epa mine contamination in the Colorado waterways. Oddly, Flint has changed it's water source to using a contaminated river. In this area of Pa, they throw fish in the water and fishermen pull them right back out. A bass was found in the river with cancer. The wildlife consumes the chemicals and arsenic on gas pads because of the sodium. Then you have places like California that needs rain terribly. Alaska already feeds the world fish and crabs. Now they want to ship water to California from Sitka. The scientist are looking to use geo-engineering (Greenland) to reduce the melting of glaciers. Which could possibly add metals like aluminum to the purist water available. Geo-engineering actually causes droughts. Then there's the big gold mines and drilling up North. So be wary of rich people offering gifts. They want something.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowchaser View Post
                        Maybe 10 feet has melted off the top or maybe it didn't and they're going to say it did. I have heard of other mountains that are decreasing in size. Some from things like erosion. Maybe they should measure it again during the winter? Which make me wonder what time of the year it was measured the last time the mountain was measured. When it comes to climate. The UN has one main goal and that is population reduction. Anyone interested enough can access articles/conversations about it on the Climate One / UN site. I would love to add some links but they would probably get deleted. Alaska has one of the lowest populations with the most resources and largest state. As companies ruin the resources in lower 48, more and more companies will look to exploit Alaska because of it's resources. Pa now has radioactive waterways because of fracking. (10 Mile Creek) Then there's the epa mine contamination in the Colorado waterways. Oddly, Flint has changed it's water source to using a contaminated river. In this area of Pa, they throw fish in the water and fishermen pull them right back out. A bass was found in the river with cancer. The wildlife consumes the chemicals and arsenic on gas pads because of the sodium. Then you have places like California that needs rain terribly. Alaska already feeds the world fish and crabs. Now they want to ship water to California from Sitka. The scientist are looking to use geo-engineering (Greenland) to reduce the melting of glaciers. Which could possibly add metals like aluminum to the purist water available. Geo-engineering actually causes droughts. Then there's the big gold mines and drilling up North. So be wary of rich people offering gifts. They want something.
                        Ummm, yeah. I'm sticking with "tide mesa"

Sent from my iPhone while hiding with a gun and a bottle.

Comment

10 Mile Creek- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuAr...ature=youtu.be Climate One/ UN- Condoms & Climate- http://climateone.org/audio/condoms-and-climate "Nina Harpell: Hi. My name is Nina Harpell. I'm a student at Foothill. I just have like a really quick question about if this affects population growth at all. So if healthcare is like decreasing the mortality rate, how do we deal with our current population control if lives are being prolonged?Greg Dalton: Alan Weisman?Alan Weisman: Well, just one example, Bill and Melinda Gates have been very concerned about malaria and HIV, and they have devoted a lot of funding to try to eradicate them in the world. And, of course, we all want that to happen. If you've ever seen the ravages of either, you pray that they will succeed. But in recent years, the Gates’ have come to understand that solving one problem is going to exacerbate another on a stressed and stretched the planet. So they have now become some of – I mean their foundation, among private foundations, is number one in trying to fund family planning, because just as Norman Borlaug realized with food production, if we solve one problem that's going to increase the number of surviving human beings, we're going to have to couple that with family planning in order to keep a steady balance.Look, imagine a national park. Every one of us knows it just makes total logical sense that you have to keep the number of predators and prey in some kind of balance. Otherwise, the ecosystem can just get completely out of whack and even collapse. But when the species ourselves, it's a little harder to imagine and yet this is exactly what we have to do."Bill Gates said during 2010 TED event-“First we got population. The world today has got 6.8 billion people. That’s headedup to about 9 billion. Now if we do a really great job on new vaccines, health care,and reproductive health services, we could LOWER that by 10 or 15 percent. But there we see an increase of about 1.3.”

Comment

Denali has not shrunk any significant amount.
                            Certainly not ten feet.
                            But the methods we use to measure such things have improved over the years and as they do we correct the heights that we know are now more accurate.
                            Modern survey equipment is more precise than ever and I'm glad they have and use such things. Even if it changes a mountains height a few feet.
                            Many a person who owns property has had their lot lines change a few inches when a new survey is completed. Finding out their fence is 6" on their neighbors property or some such thing even though it has been that way for 20 years.
                            As for the rest of the discussion I'll stay away from conspiracy theories and other things that do not relate to the Alaskan outdoors.
                            "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

http://www.adn.com/article/20150705/...ey-name-debate
                              “Move that fat ass Henry!”
                              “Don’t swing your balls or you’ll swamp the boat!"

Comment

I love that video from the Daily Show!!
                                The gal in charge at the McKinley museum in Ohio even says he was a mediocre president who never even saw the mountain and the reason not to is the hassle of changing maps and Google.
                                Too funny!
                                "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X