Winchester 70 Super Grade .264 Mag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firearms Winchester 70 Super Grade .264 Mag

Winchester model 70 Classic Super Grade in .264 Magnum. Comes with Leupold base and rings. It's in great shape. Beautiful wood. Inlaid swivel studs. Steel stock cross bolt. 26" barrel. 20 boxes of loaded ammo plus some brass included. Retail was 1600 plus. Asking $1150 including all the extras. Kenai area. I also have some excellent condition Leupold scopes that could be added to the deal for a few hundred more. 6.5x20, 4x12, 3.5x10, and a couple 3x9. I have an ad up for the scopes on here.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

As a kid, growing up in Idaho and hunting whitetail, mule deer, and elk, I really wanted a .264 but a buddy's dad talked me into a 7mm mag instead. The 7 mag is a great caliber and I still have several, it worked very well for hunting in Idaho and I've killed several moose with these rifles since moving to Alaska in 1982. However, I've kicked myself in the rear end for not giving that .264 a try back in 1974 when I was a junior in high school and had enough bucks to make the deal. I'll keep my eye on this thread, honestly, I'm more of a Remington 700 fanatic than a Winchester 70 fan but I still wish I'd have tried that .264 so many years ago. I moved up to .338 win mag years ago and now shoot a .375 Ruger but still have that .264 in the back of my mind.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Comment

I have a few 700 Remingtons plus a custom 416 on a Remington action, but that Winchester Classic controlled round feed action is my favorite. I have this .264, a .270, a .300 Win mag, and a .375. I had a .300 Weatherby, but my son insisted on having it.
      My brother in Wa. state uses his Classic in .264 to take deer on the other side of the canyons near Mt St Helens.

Comment

Yep, I hear you. They now claim the 6.5 Creedmoor is a better round, but I don't believe it after looking at the ballistic tables. Anyway, my sons have a few of my rifles I shouldn't have let go. But hey, what can you do? At least, they are still in the family!
        Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug in Alaska View Post
          .They now claim the 6.5 Creedmoor is a better round
          That's interesting you say that because not really knowing anything about the 264 mag that was the first thing I thought of when I read the op, ie, which was the better round?
          Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
            That's interesting you say that because not really knowing anything about the 264 mag that was the first thing I thought of when I read the op, ie, which was the better round?
            The good old .264 is tried and proven. Much like the .270, it speaks for itself. These days with the improvements in bullets, it's getting even better. This one comes with $800 in ammo and accessories.

Comment

With all the ammo, brass, base and rings, it's like getting the rifle for free.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug in Alaska View Post
                Yep, I hear you. They now claim the 6.5 Creedmoor is a better round, but I don't believe it after looking at the ballistic tables.
                According to this article it's pretty close, but the CM is much softer in the recoil department and has a much longer barrel life.
                https://www.outdoorlife.com/65-creed...hester-magnum/

Comment

Originally posted by AK Troutbum View Post
                  According to this article it's pretty close, but the CM is much softer in the recoil department and has a much longer barrel life.
                  https://www.outdoorlife.com/65-creed...hester-magnum/
                  It takes a LOT of shooting to wear out a barrel. I've been shooting 60 years and never wore out a barrel.

Comment

For when those critters are in the next time zone.

Comment

My Dad brought his old Mod. 70 Westerner to Alaska when we moved here in 1965. He had a bunch of surplus H4831 and old style Nosler Partitions in 140 grain weight. He used one of those yellow Lyman dip cups to measure his powder charge and used a card to level it off and dumped it in the case.

He built their retirement home in the Slana Valley when it was good hunting with few people. Many a moose and caribou were piled up with that gun and load.

He once told his longest shot was close to 500 yards on a big moose up past Talketna before the Parks Hwy. came to be. Dad said he could see the moose hunch up after the shot, it took a couple of steps and turned around looking the other way, stood their for a few seconds and just when he was ready to send a another bullet on it's way, the moose fell over.

Comment

The .264 magnum round is capable of much longer kills.

Comment

Beautiful rifle. The ammo is worth nearly what I am asking for everything.

Comment

Comes with 20 boxes of ammo.

Comment

If I thought I would wear out the one I have I would buy it. lol I even was trying to justify buying it for the wife. ha ha That is one of my more favorite cal's of all.
                              sigpic
                              Sweepint
                              Wasilla,
                              '' Livn' The Dream ''
                              26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X