Clear All

• Dirtofak
    replied
    Welcome to AK!

Leave a comment:

• Codester
    replied
    whelp, we made up up safely!
    After camping out for 2 weeks once we got here, we ended up landing a place to rent, and we both got jobs on our second day of being here! We have been here for almost 2 months now and we love it! Very friendly, helpful people everywhere, and lots of things to do and places to explore. Thank you all for help and suggestions to get us to this point! I look forward to meeting some of you in the future!

Leave a comment:

• Paul H
    replied
    Have a safe trip, take lots of pictures, and enjoy the adventure!

Leave a comment:

• Codester
    replied
    Whelp! Packing the truck as I type this, and we will be on the road tomorrow!
    I've been waiting for this moment my entire life and excitement of it is overwhelming!
    Thanks to everybody who has contributed and I look forward to meeting you all when we get up there!

Love and Gratitude

Leave a comment:

• Codester
    replied
    thanks Kevin!
    We just got a lead on a place in girdwood! we just need to fill out the application and hope that everything comes up good! Feels good to finally at least have our foot in the door. We've sold nearly everything we own and there's less than 2 weeks left! I've been carving like crazy and have been doing very well selling carvings to help out for the trip. It feels great to sell everything I have and have no extra baggage. It has been much tougher for my girlfriend though.. She had a lot more stuff than me in the first place, so getting rid of it all is pretty tough. But we are persisting and cannot wait for the journey!

Thanks to everybody who has helped me plan this adventure!

Leave a comment:

• AkKevin
    replied
    roud:Codester

I cross the border two or three times a week. $10,000 is the cap(don't have any spare change in the ashtray or you will be in hand cuffs washing dishes haha).

Another idea on moving money. USPS cheap with tracking ect. Just don't stuff a wad in a box at the post office, tell them it's money or insure it for a gazillion..roud:

Akkevin

Leave a comment:

• Codester
    replied
    Originally posted by power drifter View Post
    Codester, Sorry I have not tried to carry more than $10,000 before. I thought that was the limit to carry. It might be easier to just leave some safe in a bank back there and transfer it when you get here with a new account. For safe reasons I wouldn't want that much cash on me without a gun and we know that's not a good idea with Canada. Why you want to carry so much cash?
    Gotcha.. I think I got it figured out.. Will contact a few banks up in Alaska before me move.
    Thanks for the advice

Leave a comment:

• Derby06
    replied
    Originally posted by power drifter View Post
    For safe reasons I wouldn't want that much cash on me without a gun and we know that's not a good idea with Canada. Why you want to carry so much cash?
    Agreed...........

Leave a comment:

• power drifter
    replied
    Codester, Sorry I have not tried to carry more than $10,000 before. I thought that was the limit to carry. It might be easier to just leave some safe in a bank back there and transfer it when you get here with a new account. For safe reasons I wouldn't want that much cash on me without a gun and we know that's not a good idea with Canada. Why you want to carry so much cash?

Leave a comment:

• Codester
    replied
    Another question regarding crossing the border with cash. We will probably be crossing the Canadian border with over $10,000 cash combined between the two of us. I read that you must claim cash amounts of $10,000 or greater, and you need to fill out a form (Form E677). Do you need to fill this form out ahead of time, or let the CBSA customs office know in advance? Has anybody traveled over the border with over $10k and had issues with this?

Leave a comment:

• Aceed
    replied
    Oh, also, don't bother trying to take guns over the border. Get them shipped via USPS either before or after you leave. Canada will ruin you. I've heard sometimes they'll confiscate guns even if you think you've filled out all the proper forms. Not worth risking your babies

Leave a comment:

• Aceed
    replied
    When I moved my family up here in early October of last year, we stayed at the cheapest clean hotel we could find while we perused apartments and made the calls to check places out and rent one. It took about a week, simply because so many places we checked out were run down or dirty because we didn't know the area.

We ended up settling at Midtown and signing a 10 month lease so we could get to where we wanted to be ASAP. Probably a good idea if you're thinking of Anchorage.

Leave a comment:

• AK Ray
    replied
    Pretty much most of Anchorage is suburb. Dead end, no road out suburbs. There are three central business districts: Down town, Mid Town, and Diamond. Tudor Road, Muldoon Road, Old Seward Highway and C Street are business corridors. Pretty much everything else is some kind of housing. There are large bocks of apartments along major traffic routes, but a few blocks off the road and you are in houses. Where there is not a house you are at a military base, school, swamp, city park, wilderness parkland, or mud flat.

Rather than look for a house to rent. Look for room for rent or cost share. There are many houses rented out and the person renting or leasing will be looking for someone to rent the extra rooms in the house.

Back in my more care free days some of my coworkers lived in a commune like house in South Anchorage. It was a old home turned into a triplex, lost in the woods off of DeArmond (south). The ground level was actually the second story and the owner lived there. The basement was only 3/4 buried and there were three two bedroom apartments that all faced the woods. Coming down the driveway you would think it was just a run down ranch style shack. Walk down slope to the back and party central. 70 yard bow range down slope into the creek bottom. Keg fridge outside. Lots of sun in the winter since it faced south. But it looked like it needing a good condeming.

Leave a comment:

• Hayduke
    replied
    I think that may be a tall order. Check out the sublet section on Craigslist. My experience is that it is difficult to find a place until you are up here. We went through the same thing. It was hard on the dogs but worked out in the end.

Leave a comment:

• power drifter
    replied
    South Anchorage is the most expensive part of town. I don't think cheap rent there can be found. Not to say you can't find a place with a cat to rent, but most places that rent do not like pets.

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X