need help with car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tjohnson View Post
    Im moving to alaska and have been told I need all these heaters for my car which is fine I found them all now I want to know is there a trick or special brand of plug in to use to plug 4 heaters in all in one spot.any advise appreciated
    Just wait until you get here, take it to the post gas station and has it winterized. They do it all the time and it will be cheaper. The hard cold weather has pretty much passed. If you feel you just have to, change your oil to synthetic and add a block heater and add a battery heater when you get here. Make sure your 5 year battery is not 4 years into that 5. The cold weather here at Fort Wainright eats batteries, most of mine last about 1/2 the stated life. This time of year winter tires is more important as the roads are incredibly slick right now.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Comment

Some ideas

Originally posted by tjohnson View Post
      Im moving to alaska and have been told I need all these heaters for my car which is fine I found them all now I want to know is there a trick or special brand of plug in to use to plug 4 heaters in all in one spot.any advise appreciated
      Here are my suggestions. If I'm doing multiple heaters, I will often use a plastic or metal 4" J box ( like from Home Depot) and mount it in the engine compartment or around the radiator core support. I run a pigtail from there to the front. Inside the J-box I will mount a pair of 15 amp duplex receptacles. Now I can plug in 4 things such as a oil pan heater, immersion style block heater and a 1 amp smart charger, and perhaps a transmission heater. My theory on transmission heaters is that while I think they are a good idea, the shape of most car transmissions prohibit the attachment of a silicone pad heater. It's next to impossible to find a flat spot to stick one.

I'm not a big fan of battery heaters. I prefer to keep a charger on them, instead.

I also prefer to use the Polar-Wire brand Arctic Flex Blue cable for my extension cords and pigtails from the J-box.

But, for the average small car, most manufactures offer a OEM style immersion engine heater that works just fine.

Funny thing, I seen a battery heater installation the other day that a local dealer installed. The mechanic used a 200 watt silicone pad heater under the battery. Consequently, the heat boiled the battery over and melted the bottom of the battery case making a huge mess on this brand new machine. Of course, it was the wrong heater to use, but nonetheless. Under warranty, the dealer installed a new battery and the proper heater, but left the battery acid mess.

Coaldust

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
      Working...
      X