Now that you know...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now that you know...

I know that maybe this has been thrown around a few times but if any of you had to do it all over again, knowing what you know about the areas of Alaska, where would you move to if you had to do it all again?? and why?

this should be good info for the newbies as well...

Right where I am now.If I had the need to be able to drive out I would stay in Haines
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Comment

Istaga,

*smiles*
      You knew I was going to post here once I saw that you actually started a thread! Yes! Welcome back, Big D. Nice to see you 'around'!!

To answer your question, if you asked me the first year I lived here, I would have said, "I think that the best place to live would be Anchorage or the surrounding areas," because at that time, it still felt like home to me.

The second year I lived here, I would have answered, "I think that Fairbanks is the best place to live in Alaska. I have learned how much I appreciate living in the Interior."

Now that it's been officially a couple of years, I could now say, "I think that the best place in Alaska to live is somewhere where there are trees, mountains, and a river with a log cabin in a remote, off the grid location that can only be reachable by boat or flight with no electricity or communications or at times even internet... where the trapping is abundant. Where there are a plethora of big game and wildlife, and fish that flow in rivers that make music with the sounds of it's roar and it's trickle." <---Now... that's my 'Alaska'.

Honestly, I wouldn't do it all again. I don't need a do over this time. (smiles) I like where we are at. We hope and plan to stay here for a very, very long time... but one day, someday, I hope to have that little one room cabin with my husband, just us, together...
      Lurker.

Comment

I would start by looking at unincorporated areas without property taxes.
        Chuck

Comment

The worst of Alaska, is better than the best of the rest of the World.
          "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

Asked my mother-in-law

this question and she said shewould have, as a little girl, asked her grandparents to not sell thier homestead property until at least 20 yrs later. She said the family could have used the $ from selling of the land that is now 5 blocks of midtown.

Comment

Thank you Kim, and everyone else, for that wonderful input and point well taken.. Yes COtoAK, I'm around... just trying to finish this degree so that I can get back to what life is all about.. ALASKA..

Comment

Originally posted by Istaga View Post
                Thank you, and everyone else, for that wonderful input and point well taken.. Yes COtoAK, I'm around... just trying to finish this degree so that I can get back to what life is all about.. ALASKA..
                It will happen. Alaska awaits your return, Big D. Soon... very soon!
                Lurker.

Comment

I agree

Originally posted by Hopeak View Post
                  The worst of Alaska, is better than the best of the rest of the World.
                  even here in anchorage :cool:

Comment

Kodiak is the one area I'd love to move to if I could do it all over, but I don't have work there I could do so honestly it isn't an option.

All said and done, the Anchorage bowl isn't that bad, it's all in how you look at life, and taking advantage of what there is to offer.
                    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X