Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a GCI phone. I don't know whether they have prepaid plans or not. When I flew a small plane up in the spring, it worked in Kamloops, Prince George, Fort St John, (I don't remember if I used it in Fort Nelson), and Whitehorse, which were our only stops.

Depending on what you are doing, GCI is not the best service carrier within the road system areas of Alaska, so I wouldn't recommend signing up for a long-term deal with GCI unless you are sure it will meet your need. Out in the rural areas, their coverage is good, but you can get the same coverage now through ACS. I don't know what Canada coverage ACS has.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Comment

OK cool. Thanks I haven't heard of any of those carriers around here. One we do have here that I think will work I'm going to check with them today is us cellular. A friend of mine made the drive to Fairbanks and she has them and just said she had no problems with coverage so I guess I'll see thanks a bunch!

Sent from my HUAWEI H881C using Tapatalk

Comment

Oh also what about traveling through Canada with pets? I will be bringing my 2 dogs. Anything I should know on that?

Comment

You're not going to find a phone that works "all the way" because there's no infrastructure along very long stretches of the Alcan. There's reasonable GSM coverage in some towns through Canada, and I've done okay with AT&T. If you're worried get a CB. You'll see truckers from time to time. I've got ACS now and have been impressed with availability. Works fine in Whitehorse, not sure about what the coverage is in BC.

On the dogs, not a problem. Have immunization records at hand, although you probably won't need them (but you might). If you're feeding meat call ahead to the crossing you'll be using and ask; if you're feeding kibble or canned food don't worry about it.
          Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Comment

OK cool thanks. I understand phone not working completely all the way. I'm from eastern Oregon we have lots of dead spots I just mean one that will work in the areas where local ones work like in most towns...etc because I know the one I have won't work anywhere at all in Alaska or Canada. Kinda frustrating. But thanks for the help!

Comment

This is a new link to the Non-Resident Firearm Declaration, http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...s/5589-eng.pdf.

Comment

what about knives, are we aloud to bring them with us?

Comment

Originally posted by Chez View Post
                  Also curious about knives, is there a size restriction?
                  Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Comment

Originally posted by akhunter3 View Post
                    Originally posted by Chez View Post
                    Also curious about knives, is there a size restriction?
                    Happy Canada day! Couldn't find the right website, eh? http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/iefw-iefa-eng.html
                    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X