This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lmao...

What a funny story.I was working in Seattle, and my license plate frame said Wenatchee(about 120 miles apart)So, often as a cop would pull up behind me at a red light or stop sign, I always saw him calling in my plate# in my rear view mirror.I did manage to get a $101 ticket that I went defered, and it was erased.Court costs...$100 .All because a light changed in heavy traffic, and I was stuck in an intersection.I finally realized something was waving a sign that I wasn't a local.GR

Comment

Originally posted by COtoAK View Post
      My advice? Get your plates and get them changed immediately. Heaven forbid that you get pulled over by my same trooper that will harp on 'outsiders' or perhaps you might receive the bird more than you'd like. I know I sure did.
      It's was my official, 'Welcome to Alaska!'
      I've always thought that there was a state law gave you 60 days to change your license, plates and registration if you are a resident. And if you are a resident, why are you driving around with out of state tags?
      I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Comment

I try to hate everyone, equally.

I hate tourists.
        I hate city people.
        I hate newbies.
        I hate government weinies.
        I hate old timers.
        But I hate fishing guides more equally that all the others!

Comment

I have a twist on this post.

A few years after leaving alaska I was driving up HWY 80 from Sacramento to go skiing. I had a nice mustang that did well on dry land but in the snow it had its limitations. Anyway I had to pull over and chain up, when I got out of my car people on the hwy yelled, laughed etc!!!
          While I was putting my chains on I saw a truck pull up behind me!
          I could see the license, you guessed it Alaska! In the truck was a elderly man and wife, the gentleman stepped out and asked "son you need help?"
          I told him I had lived in Alaska and learned you don't pass people during the winter! It was a moment I will never forget! Ya Alaskan's are different but some of the difference have set them apart as the most hospitable on the planet!

I'm coming up at the end of June, first trip back, 43 years! Got a bumper sticker for my rv, "former sourdough" no birds please!

Comment

Originally posted by .338-06 View Post
            I've always thought that there was a state law gave you 60 days to change your license, plates and registration if you are a resident. And if you are a resident, why are you driving around with out of state tags?
            I arrived in Alaska July 30th of that year.
            I was pulled over mid-September of that same year.
            I was only here for 6 weeks.

Why was I driving around with out of state tags?
            1. I just moved here.
            2. I immediately started a job and I didn't have time to change them over.
            3. I hadn't had my license changed over because DMV sent me to Social Security and Social Security sent me to DMV, but DMV couldn't do anything because it was a homeland security 'issue', but Social Security said that they couldn't accept all of my documents to prove who I was.
            I got married and moved out of the state of Colorado without changing over my name. My marriage license was in our POBox in the Interior.
            Are you catching my drift? I basically received the run around.
            I had to change my name and my residence in order to have the correct name on my license and registration, but because I didn't change it in Denver (even though my marriage certificate was sent directly to Alaska), it meant that I had to go ahead and move and do everything here.

So, I lived here for 3-4 weeks, received 3-4 birds, got pulled over for making a bad left turn, got it from the Trooper about being an 'outsider' but I couldn't explain that I received the run around from DMV and Social Security because he was just oh-so upset that I hadn't been 'responsible' enough to change it over.

There are still issues with DMV and everything that happened. Apparently they didn't get the state of my birth correct, so I couldn't sign in for MyAlaska for my PFDs and I couldn't register online because my birth state was incorrect. It's still incorrect. I don't want to go in and change all of it because I am scared that I'll get the run around again and spend MONTHS doing the process again.

See... in the city, putting your fist down and making a scene gets you somewhere. I hate to admit that, but it's the God honest truth.
            In Alaska, you have to wait your turn, be nice and courteous, make no demands and wait your turn again. This is the way that it should really be, but what that costs is a great deal of time and energy, not to mention (as the above) quite the run around.
            Honestly, I think that the lady at DMV got so sick of seeing me that she just gave me the license. I was very grateful and gracious. She didn't send me to do the driving test. She actually didn't even put down all of my restrictions initially. I had already taken my picture and was on my way out when the photo lady asked me if everything was correct. I told her that I didn't have that I needed glasses and I had to do the process all over again... go to the original DMV lady, have her type in my information, go back to the photo lady, take my picture again.
            I did get it finally, but it was a mess to say the least.
            One thing is for sure. I am glad that I had all of my documents straight and together because if I didn't have all my information, my previous identifications and my passport, I wouldn't have been able to obtain my Alaska Driver's License.
            Lurker.

Comment

Did you get your green card yet?
              Vegetables arenít food, vegetables are what food eats.

Comment

Originally posted by kingfisherktn View Post
                Did you get your green card yet?
                :rolleyes:
                I am legal. I was born on a naval base.
                My mom and siblings are legal. They all have their green cards. :rolleyes:
                I have my documents in order for name changes. It didn't mean that I was an 'alien'. :rolleyes:
                Lurker.

Comment

Active duty Military members don't even have to change over their plates or license. We have 3 vehicles 1 is plated for Indiana, 1 for Oklahoma and one for AK. My wife has an Oklahoma License and I still have my Indiana license. Having AK plates and licenses don't make you a local and if it does than that's sort of pathetic.
                  Former A.F Staff Sergeant

Comment

Originally posted by doug1980 View Post
                    Active duty Military members don't even have to change over their plates or license. We have 3 vehicles 1 is plated for Indiana, 1 for Oklahoma and one for AK. My wife has an Oklahoma License and I still have my Indiana license. Having AK plates and licenses don't make you a local and if it does than that's sort of pathetic.
                    I agree 110% with you on that.
                    That was part of this Trooper's rant that if you are going to 'live' in this state, you need to change over your plates and tags.
                    I wasn't snide about it, but I asked, then, if my vehicle were to be a recreational vehicle then why would I have to change my tags to another state?
                    That kind of set him off. As the previous post stated, he wasted 30 minutes of my time trying to educate me on the importance being a resident in Alaska. He went off on PFDs, our taxes, what we pay for, those that serve our community (police and fire). He was on his way to work. Maybe he thought that this was his way of being 'late' was by pulling someone over instead. Who knows. He was adamant about military changing over their plates, too. He said, "If you live in this state, you should change your tags on your rigs."
                    I didn't know that he was a tenured officer either. When we went to court, I told the judge that it was maybe because he was an officer in training because that's what (I thought) his little embrodery on his shirt said. He turned to me and he said, "Oh, you mean this, ma'am." It said Training Officer. Whoooooops. :eek:
                    I still don't know how I got that ticket aquitted. I was just prepared and I took pictures of the 'scene' after dropping the kids off at school.

Because they revamped the Richardson Hwy, the 'illegal' left turn that I did is no longer there. They blocked the intersection and built a bridge on Richardson/Dawson Road exit which completely changed the Richardson Hwy was your travel towards Fairbanks.
                    Lurker.

Comment

I am legal. I was born on a naval base.
                      My mom and siblings are legal. They all have their green cards.
                      I have my documents in order for name changes. It didn't mean that I was an 'alien'. :rolleyes:
                      Jokes:

With all the moving around and license issues I just figured you were trying to stay ahead of the law.:eek:

Comment

Originally posted by kingfisherktn View Post
                        Jokes:

With all the moving around and license issues I just figured you were trying to stay ahead of the law.:eek:
                        Hilarious! HILARIOUS! This thread has moved from talking about lower 48 'outsiders' to COtoAK being an illegal alien and a criminal. (tee hee)

Nothing to hide here, KingFisher. Not trying to stay ahead of the law. More like... I am trying to keep up with it. The rules and regs keep changing. I only moved from point a (Denver) to point b (Interior) and the license issues were because of name change issues.

I will say, though, that moving to Alaska was the biggest culture shock that I have ever had. I lived in Nashville, Tennessee for 6 months and I also had culture shock there, but not as bad as here. I think that it was because I visited Nashville before moving there. I hadn't visited Alaska before moving here. I stepped into this state on a leap of faith, never being here before and knowing nothing about the environment let alone taxes, laws, animals, hunting regulations, classification of mountain climbing, or even changing tires in 40 below weather. What a transition. Every now and again, I still have a hard time. I am directionally challenged here, too. Mountains in Colorado are WEST no matter where you are in Denver, Colorado Springs, Boulder, Ft. Collins. Here, Mountains are in ALL directions, but where we are in the Interior, the mountains are SOUTH and hills are WEST and NORTH. Fairbanks is 'WEST' but on a map it's 'NORTH'. Even the Richardson Hwy should be a 'West East' highway, but it turns into a 'North South' highway because it heads towards Valdez. Or... if you are from Valdez, it automatically feels okay for the Richardson Hwy to be 'North South'. It just doesn't feel right in the Interior. Mapquest has never done me justice in Alaska. Neither has Magellan gps for a vehicle. :\
                        Lurker.

Comment

I humbly ask for forgiveness for implying you're illegal or criminal, this is not saying you're not I'm just asking forgiveness.:eek:

Comment

As long as you're not from California, come up. Seems like the more people that move here the further left we lean-especially if they're Californian's. I'm a little xenophobic when it comes to Californian's though. Seen what they've done to Oregon and Washington? And Anchorage! Scary.

Don't beat me up too bad for my views, I know we have a bunch of CA transplants on the forum; its just how I feel.

Tim

Comment

Heaven forbid that you get pulled over by my same trooper that will harp on 'outsiders' or perhaps you might receive the bird more than you'd like. I know I sure did.
                              do you remember which trooper it was?
                              Josh
                              Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Comment

problem with plates too

When we first moved here(only been in Ak for 3 1/2 weeks) I was pulled over in Eagle River 4 times in 3 days, by the same APD officer. Each time he said he pulled me over for "no front plate on my vehicle". At the time my vehicle was registered in the state of Michigan, which didn't issue front plates. The first time I could understand the chance he didn't know. The rest of the times got me irritated! The 3rd and 4th time were on the same day, about 6 hours apart. That's when I lost my cool and as my wife puts it, almost went to the big house. When the officer approached my van, I got out and met him part way. He acted nervous but I lit in to him anyway. I won't (can't) use the words exchanged but it ended with "and sargent if you pull me over 1 more time my lawer and I will be more than happy to see you and your supervisor in court". I haven't been pulled over since, of course I got my Ak plates about 3 weeks later once paperwork was straightened out between the two states.

As far as being treated "nicely" go with the golden rule. Treat others as you want to be treated! And before you say "well in ------- we do it this way" maybe just politely ask why in Ak we do it "the Alaska way".

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X