Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anchorage Car Dealerships

Sorry Guys,

Have a request for information and I don't know exactly the best sub-forum for this topic. I am looking for recommendations for car dealerships in Anchorage that have a reasonably decent reputation (as far as car dealers go) and that have a consignment selling program. Planning a trip this summer to AK this summer and am working on the transportation side of things. Plan A) Find (with some luck) a decent rental for Dalton highway excursions. Plan B) Buy a vehicle for my trip and then sell it on the backside. Hence, the reason for looking for a decent dealer with a consignment program.

Thanks a bunch!

G

Originally posted by apache67 View Post
    Sorry Guys,

Have a request for information and I don't know exactly the best sub-forum for this topic. I am looking for recommendations for car dealerships in Anchorage that have a reasonably decent reputation (as far as car dealers go) and that have a consignment selling program. Planning a trip this summer to AK this summer and am working on the transportation side of things. Plan A) Find (with some luck) a decent rental for Dalton highway excursions. Plan B) Buy a vehicle for my trip and then sell it on the backside. Hence, the reason for looking for a decent dealer with a consignment program.

Thanks a bunch!

G
    My hunch is that your plans are "flawed".......and I think you know that. One thing you might not be aware of is that there is a "HIGH" probability you can't find a rental car or truck. I think you know they all have GPS tracking, so if you go off the paved highway.......you will have breached the rental agreement.

You might get "lucky" on the purchase and sale of a vehicle.........but I would give odds that will be a painful trap.

I am "not" trying to pee in your cereal bowl......just my best assessment.

"Essential......to Prepping for Survival, is to be able to segregate, what you think will happen, from what you hope will happen, from what you fear will happen, from what is happening".

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
      My hunch is that your plans are "flawed".......and I think you know that. One thing you might not be aware of is that there is a "HIGH" probability you can't find a rental car or truck. I think you know they all have GPS tracking, so if you go off the paved highway.......you will have breached the rental agreement.

You might get "lucky" on the purchase and sale of a vehicle.........but I would give odds that will be a painful trap.

I am "not" trying to pee in your cereal bowl......just my best assessment.
      My plan is "flawed"? At least provide a decent suggestion before throwing baseless accusations out there. That way you don't piss credibility down the tubes...

Comment

Originally posted by apache67 View Post

My plan is "flawed"? At least provide a decent suggestion before throwing baseless accusations out there. That way you don't piss credibility down the tubes...

Don't worry your Arse off about my credibility......."DUDE".

I tried to help you, now you can go solve your own problem. And just for "Giggles" why do you think any part of my "HELP" is Baseless.
        "Essential......to Prepping for Survival, is to be able to segregate, what you think will happen, from what you hope will happen, from what you fear will happen, from what is happening".

Comment

Hi apache

We did a similar thing several years ago. We lived in Texas and were coming up to AK about 2-3 times a year for vacation. We decided to try to save money on rentals and look for a used vehicle we could store here in the winter and take out in the summers. We bought a used Expedition for a decent price. Motor blew after about a month. Money down the toilet on that one.
          Then we bought a used Suburban. It was a bit rough, but it did well for us. It stayed parked at a storage lot in the winter and we got it out of storage each time we came up here. Yes, it seemed to save us some money in the long run, but when you add in the blown Expedition, the cost of buying the suburban, and the storage fee, we probably broke even or lost a little. But it was nice to have a big 4wd vehicle that could go off road, get fish or game smell in it, and we could store a bunch of stuff in the back during the winter instead of flying stuff back and forth. We were also able to haul a boat and a travel trailer that we stored up here as well.
          We moved up here full time about 5 years ago and just sold the Suburban last week after 7 years of intermittent use. I’m going to miss that beast.
          When it comes to buying used vehicles up here, there are a LOT of crap vehicles around, even thru consignment lots. There are no vehicle inspection requirements here like there are in the lower 48. Bad exhaust systems, dry rotted tires, rust, reconstructed titles, you name it. You are probably better off renting and let someone else take on the maintenance costs. Even if it looks more expensive up front, if you are talking about just one trip, renting makes a lot more sense.
          There are companies here that will allow haul road use. GoNorth I believe is one, and the have truck campers.
          Good luck on your endeavors!

Comment

Originally posted by greyinggrayling View Post
            Hi apache

We did a similar thing several years ago. We lived in Texas and were coming up to AK about 2-3 times a year for vacation. We decided to try to save money on rentals and look for a used vehicle we could store here in the winter and take out in the summers. We bought a used Expedition for a decent price. Motor blew after about a month. Money down the toilet on that one.
            Then we bought a used Suburban. It was a bit rough, but it did well for us. It stayed parked at a storage lot in the winter and we got it out of storage each time we came up here. Yes, it seemed to save us some money in the long run, but when you add in the blown Expedition, the cost of buying the suburban, and the storage fee, we probably broke even or lost a little. But it was nice to have a big 4wd vehicle that could go off road, get fish or game smell in it, and we could store a bunch of stuff in the back during the winter instead of flying stuff back and forth. We were also able to haul a boat and a travel trailer that we stored up here as well.
            We moved up here full time about 5 years ago and just sold the Suburban last week after 7 years of intermittent use. I’m going to miss that beast.
            When it comes to buying used vehicles up here, there are a LOT of crap vehicles around, even thru consignment lots. There are no vehicle inspection requirements here like there are in the lower 48. Bad exhaust systems, dry rotted tires, rust, reconstructed titles, you name it. You are probably better off renting and let someone else take on the maintenance costs. Even if it looks more expensive up front, if you are talking about just one trip, renting makes a lot more sense.
            There are companies here that will allow haul road use. GoNorth I believe is one, and the have truck campers.
            Good luck on your endeavors!
            Thank you. This was useful information (unlike the duffer above). Neither of the Dalton highway renters have responded to my inquiries. Hence, the reason for looking at other alternatives.

Cheers,
            G

Comment

I'd go with the bigger dealers that sell new as well. They won't take in a vehicle with more that 1,000,000 miles on them or ones that they have to put a lot of money into. I'd also only go for a used that has a Carfax report available. Dealers have been "begging" for people to sell used vehicles like mine (2017 F-350 with less than 60K miles on it.) Problem is they have NO new inventory to replace it with if I sold it.

Patriot Life Member NRA
              Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
              Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Just rent one and drive it where you want to with the understanding that things like a cracked windshield or flat tire are your problems to deal with. It will be cheaper in the long run.

Comment

Your plan B is the better option. I doubt that there will be very many rentals available this year at a reasonable price. As far a consignment goes, I am not aware of any of the "New" car stores having a consignment program. Most lots that have a consignment program are on the smaller side and non-franchised. However there are several to choose from. I am reluctant to recommend one over the other, they are all about the same honestly. Consignment is a pretty safe bet for the seller as long as you are reasonable on your expectations. You should go into it with the idea that you will loose less money than you would have spent on a rental. If you make a profit, which is entirely possible, that should be your bonus not your expectation. Set your consignment price with that in mind and you will probably not be disappointed.

Comment

Just a word of caution with rentals- if there is any damage, they can charge for the money lost if not able to be rented. As in they may charge you for rental on the days it is being repaired and not being used. Read the policy carefully- especially if planning to take it where it is not supposed to go. There are some reputable used car sales here but finding something affordable may not be easy. Consignment is handled by these same places, and some require the vehicle be professionally detailed ($300-500) and free of damage. Decent vehicles get premium prices here, but I am sure you are aware of that. The shortage of new vehicles will undoubtedly raise the price of decent used ones (especially trucks/SUV’s due to popularity. Keep looking at rentals and best of luck.

Comment

Not sure what Uhaul policy is on gravel roads but you may be able to look at getting a truck or cargo van for the days that you want to visit the Dalton Highway. I think if you pick up and drop off in same location they charge by the mile so that would be something you would have to take into account. I have seen people take the moving trucks down to the Kenai and use them as a camper or motor home.

Comment

Try airport equipment rental, out of Fairbanks, they rent to gold miner, and oil companys on the north slope

Comment

Alaska is full, go someplace else

Comment

Originally posted by Chez View Post
                            Alaska is full, go someplace else
                            Classy.... apparently agl4now missed the ops bowl and hit yours. <br/><br/>Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk<br/><br/>
                            I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
                            but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X