Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying to civil service in Anchorage

Hello,

I made probably the best decision of my life, leaving California. I'm living in SoCal post-military service. I'm actually in the background process with LA County fire which is a dream job, I've just come to the conclusion that it is really hard to come up in California. I'm originally from South Carolina grew up in a town with 500 people, hunt/fish is pretty much what I grew up doing and what I love to do today. I've converted my EMT license over to Alaska and I'm planning on applying to Anchorage Fire Department here soon. Even if I don't get the job, I will continue working with LA and build up my credentials even further for the next go around. I've been looking at houses up there and to me, it seems you can get a great house 250k-350k range. My buddy is stationed up there and the fishing looks awesome. He gave me the 411 on winter and the pros and cons to him. Other than Alaska, the only other state I'm considering is Idaho, mainly cause I have a cousin who is a firefighter captain up there, and mule deer. I'd love to get more perspectives as this is a life-changing move. Thanks.

Take it entirely FWIW....have you considered applying to other FD's around the state? Anchorage seems very schizophrenic about how it hires firefighters.

"Great house" covers a lot of territory. In Anchorage proper, you might not get as much as one thinks for 250 - 350k, although the economic situation up here is driving some good sales numbers.

As an almost lifelong Alaskan / Anchorage resident, there's some truth to the old saying "In Anchorage, you're only 30 minutes from Alaska".

Comment

Honestly, I haven't because I don't know much about the other departments, more focused on just getting a good-paying job with benefits. I came across someone on the ROKSLIDE forum telling me that Anchorage was hiring.

I feel like I know exactly what you mean as I have been in LA county's process for over a year now. Really hoping I get pushed through the academy here soon as working with LA is a golden ticket to other departments and then I can join the IAFF union which then I could reach out to the union up there and get a lot more support for getting a job.

I was looking at Wasilla and places along eagle river. I also look at the military aspect, if I did buy a house close to the base, I could always rent it out or sell it to a family stationed there. Ideally, though, I'd like to have some space in between neighbors. I'm also researching the air national guard pararescue program, 1-2 rescues a week for Alaskan residents, another reason I was looking at Anchorage. Thanks for reaching out and your perspective is valued greatly. Hopefully, things will fall as it may and I will make some progress here soon.

Comment

Originally posted by stillapa12drvr View Post
        "Great house" covers a lot of territory. In Anchorage proper, you might not get as much as one thinks for 250 - 350k, although the economic situation up here is driving some good sales numbers.
        If you are selling one. You would think with the state's budget woes and the crash in oil and tourism that it would be a buyers market, but it's not. That said, if he is coming from southern CA, a $350K house in Anchorage would be a great house compared to what $350K would get down there.

Comment

Originally posted by NRick View Post

If you are selling one. You would think with the state's budget woes and the crash in oil and tourism that it would be a buyers market, but it's not. That said, if he is coming from southern CA, a $350K house in Anchorage would be a great house compared to what $350K would get down there.
          big facts, 350k gets me a condo in the ghetto, hard pass

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
          Working...
          X