No announcement yet.

Moving From Australia to Alaska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Totally depends on the people that happen by. It's gotten to be more and more people here are leaving the big city to come to AK, so they bring that big city mentality with them and probably won't stop. Or you could run into an old sourdough and find genuine help.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

I broke down out north of Nikiski last week. Several people stopped and offered help. Called a friend and he hauled butt to where we were and towed me in.
      Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Thanks for the info, Ive also been watching you tube videos of people who move to Alaska and what life is like etc. Been looking on websites and google earth and google maps. Also been on different forums reading etc.

Alrighty, I have a few more questions if i can shoot away?

First one is not very positive but, Is there Much Drugs and probably most particular Crystal meth in Alaska?

In my state of South Australia, There is quite a lot of Meth and lots of other drugs, as a result you get people doing weird stuff and occasionally problems with Drugged out people causing traffic accidents/ public problems etc.
        In my experience with drugs its the Amphetemines (meth/adderall/speed/etc) that are the worst becuase they just make people so hyperactive and crazy.
        Im asking this mostly because I haven't found anything about it on the internet and its not something you would start to see until you actually live in AK.
        The weird part about my experience in my state with it is; I have come across 2/3 different people in the last few months High on meth, interestingly every time its at a Gas station, All three times the "junkies" have been really polite and friendly, I was even offered a room to stay in for the night by one guy, (was travelling through)!
        Will not stop me from moving to AK, just something to know/observe in the future.

Second one here,
        what is everyone's experiences with Having a Family in AK?

I have wanted to start my own family since around the age of 18/19. I probably wont start until my mid/late 20s. A big part of this move is that I just cannot start a family in My country, there are a lot of different reasons why, but to be general and brief; I want to educate and raise my children with to be Smart, Practical, Resourceful and Technically trained. The technical bit is just that I want to teach my kids things like how to fix cars/trucks, how to weld, how to do basic metalwork and carpentry/building. I also dont really want my kids growing up "on an Ipad " Im not against technology, its just there is such a push in my country for "computer stuff/IT/internet things". I want to Hunt and fish with my kids, I also want to raise My kids on as much clea/natural/homemade grown/hunted/ our farm grown food as possible, I want my kids to grow up natural and strong in that regard. Not saying these things in a way that I want to turn Amish or something, I just want my kids to get raised in a real sense, before they choose what they want to do and where they go in Life.

Third one,
        Anyone know of any good areas with good neighbours/good community?
        Anyone had any good experiences with having good neighbours and a good tight knit community?

I want to and would be very lucky to find a place where I have good neighbours and people around me. "Love thy Neighbour" I want to come to Alaska and start to build myself a life and I want to be a part of a community. I also want to try and Do everything I can myself and help my neighbours/state/country where I can. An example: I want a Hammer, I will try to make my own hammer first, If I cant or its too hard then I will look to my neighbour to buy a hammer off Him, Then if I cant get one from Him, I will try for one Made in Alaska, lastly if I cant get an Alaskan Hammer I will get a Made in USA Hammer. Im a big believer In supporting your neighbours first, then community,then state, then country. I dont want to support any other country I think the line stops there for me. Same thing would apply with growing produce/farming and trading with Neighbours, it might be that my neighbour makes really good sausages, so I would like to trade my pork in return for them making me sausages. Extends beyond trade aswell, if your neighbour needs help then you help them, Because you might need their help one day.

Nothing here is hard and final, Im not going to go crazy doing this principle, just something I want to strive for and I believe if every Alaskan/American Aimed for this, Millions of people will have far better lives in many ways.

edited in my state

Comment

Yes there is drug use in Alaska too. To what exact extent I don't know. But there are "meth heads" up here. What I didn't know, and only found out not too long ago was that there was a pretty big heroin use problem down here on the Kenai.

As far as raising a family here in AK., personally I feel very fortunate to have done this. The little grammar school my kids went to at the time was considered one of, if not the, best school in the state. Both my kids have been fishing almost since they were able to walk. My son caught his first king at the age of two. When the were small he used to take his little sister down to the creek and fish for hours. To this day they both are diehard fishermen/women. Also, my son has been with me on a few moose kills as well, and actually helped me call a bull in when he was very young. If you hope to have your kids like the outdoors then AK. is a hard place to beat. My kids love Alaska and are still here living their lives.

As far as neighbors go, I think like any other place you'll find good ones and bad. Personally I've had far more good.
          Last edited by 4merguide; 4 weeks ago.
          Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Yup drugs are here in Alaska just like anywhere.<br/>Meth and heroin are probably the worst two from what I hear.<br/>Getting a job , particularly a good paying one, here can be very difficult until your a resident.<br/>Cannery work or other low paying stuff isn't so hard to get.<br/>Far too many people move here then find they(or their spouse) cannot handle the cold and dark winter's and leave after a year or two.<br/>So a company hires and trains a guy then he quits to move south and they are out the money they spent to train him and his replacement.<br/>Plus all their hassle and time.<br/>Lots of job losses as a result of the Covid19 and oil prices crashing.<br/>But still some to be had, though, there will be competition for them.<br/>Neighbors are hit and miss here.<br/>I have some good ones who are very helpful and ones I don't know.<br/>I'm happy with mine where I'm at.<br/>A friend of mine gets frustrated as neighbors dogs, chickens, rabbits, etc. keep getting into his garden area.<br/>He's talked to them but it doesn't help much.<br/>Another friend had 40 chickens killed by a neighbor's dog from an uncaring neighbor.<br/>I love Alaska and don't ever plan on leaving.<br/>But it isn't for everyone.<br/>My parents like it here but both my sister's moved back to the Midwest.<br/><br/>Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk<br/><br/>
            "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

Originally posted by davodownunder View Post

What do you mean by total divorce from Australia?
              if you mean in that the company north star resources is owned by Australia?
              I dont mind if My workplace is owned by Australia, Run like an Australian business etc

Sorry, that was a feeble attempt at humor about the prospect of you leaving Australia just to go to work for Australians. In all seriousness, however, I used to fly frequently to Pogo a few years ago and it looked like a pretty decent place to work.

I think you'll do well here. From what I've seen Australians and Alaskans have a very similar outlook on life.

I'm in Fairbanks so please don't hesitate to ask if you need any help on this end.

Louis

Louis Knapp

Comment

Just found this video on you tube and what the guy is saying about freedom, resonates with me so much. Also abiut being able to build without a code, is something that I so so agree with, becuase I want to build my own House, Garage, Workshop and Barn etc and being able to just build it without paying someone money for nothing, that makes me happy.
                (its illegal to carry any object/weapon for self defence in my country/state)
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmW-ANoXfVI

Comment

Just found this video on you tube and what the guy is saying about freedom, resonates with me so much. Also abiut being able to build without a code, is something that I so so agree with, becuase I want to build my own House, Garage, Workshop and Barn etc and being able to just build it without paying someone money for nothing, that makes me happy.
                  (its illegal to carry any object/weapon for self defence in my country/state)
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmW-ANoXfVI
                  The cities and some of the Boroughs do have building codes, inspectors, and all that. I don't know about other Boroughs, but Kenai is a 2nd class Borough and has no building codes outside of the incorporated cities, and no inspections required. That said, when I built my house a long time ago, I built it to meet code in Kenai. I didn't want to run into issues when the time came to sell it, plus codes are there for a reason. Mostly for safety such as egress size windows in bedrooms and those type of things. Earthquake survivability, things to slow down a fire, etc. Protecting us from ourselves.
                  Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post

I didn't want to run into issues when the time came to sell it, plus codes are there for a reason. Mostly for safety such as egress size windows in bedrooms and those type of things. Earthquake survivability, things to slow down a fire, etc. Protecting us from ourselves.
                    Eventually I want to find somewhere outside of a borough, where I dont have to pay for all this extra stuff I dont agree with.
                    Im All for building codes, industrial standards, civil, commercial and industrial construction standards etc. I just believe that it should be my responsibility to make sure its to code and My fault if it goes wrong. Thats why I feel so happy about the ability to just do it yourself without restrictions and paying for all these things that dont build my building.

Thanks for the info about Kenai borough codes appreciate it.

(In my country some Boroughs/city "councils"/local governments will restrict even the colour you are allowed to paint your house, colour of your roof etc.)
                    https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...c12857f462a27e
                    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-04-...-sheep/3980338
                    Check that out^

Just a little thing I did want to mention about My country. Lots of people will say Australia is a Very "Free" country. I believe they are getting confused between a High standard of living and "Freedom". They're are so many taxes, rules, regulations, procedures, mandatory schemes, financial burdens that dont add value. Everything I see and read, tells me its better in AK "USA", there are less restrictions but you get given less by the government, which is something I agree with.

Comment

Theres an old bus up by Healy where some dreamer started AND ended his adventure. Id be leary smack in the middle of this covid thing, you might find good work somewhat elusive.

Comment

I am looking at making the move in 2021 March-September ish.
                        coming up for recon holiday probably December 2020 - January 2021 to get out and start looking for work/places to live and to answer any questions I haven't already answered.

Comment

Hi guys I had another random question.

In my state of South Australia, I get into conversations with strangers at Gas stations and Car parks and Grocery shops etc. People are quite friendly in my state and sometimes I even end up chatting for hours.
                          It never happened in My old Australian state of Victoria. But in South Australia It happens a lot.

Do any of you guys just get chatting with random people while your in town doing things/ out and about/at the gas station / Etc?
                          Are people generally happy to talk to strangers?

Comment

Hi guys I had another random question.

In my state of South Australia, I get into conversations with strangers at Gas stations and Car parks and Grocery shops etc. People are quite friendly in my state and sometimes I even end up chatting for hours.
                            It never happened in My old Australian state of Victoria. But in South Australia It happens a lot.

Do any of you guys just get chatting with random people while your in town doing things/ out and about/at the gas station / Etc?
                            Are people generally happy to talk to strangers?
                            Speaking only for myself and based on my experience: If in the city (in my case, Los Anchorage) while it varies depending on individuals, probably less willing to talk to folks than not. Probably even less willin if one runs into strangers at the trailhead or boat launch 'cause you're competing with each other for space, sequence, whatever. As one gets further from the city, this changes noticeably...but there's always a reticence to talk if one meets a stranger at a remote location where both are scouting for the same ideal camp spot, the same fishing hole, etc. Running into strangers at the developed campground, while waiting for the tunnel opening, while waiting for the ferry, etc....more likely to chat than at Lowes in Los Anchorage.

If it's a breakdown on a lonely stretch of road or something similar, folks are always willing to stop to at least inquire and help...although to be transparent, I'm getting less inclined to stop in my aging years, at least between Los Anchorage and Willow / Sutton and during the summer

Comment

Originally posted by Alasgun View Post
                              Theres an old bus up by Healy where some dreamer started AND ended his adventure. Id be leary smack in the middle of this covid thing, you might find good work somewhat elusive.
                              I heard the State or maybe the Feds, just airlifted that out of there. Too many wild eyed tourists getting lost or dying trying to find it.

Comment

i never knew it was that bad in aus. dave,i had always wanted to go visit ,i guess too much crocodile dundee.i wanted to do NZ also .
                                yeah, the bus is gone.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X