Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving From Australia to Alaska

Hi Everyone,

Just putting this up for anyone who comes across this and wants to add comment or anything else that could be useful information for me.

I am from Australia and I am looking at Moving to AK to Live Permanently.
    My reasons plainly put are that: I feel there is no future for my country/no future for me in My country; I agree with a lot of values/beliefs, Laws Regulations and general aspects of the the USA "GENERALLY"; I want to come to AK because the population is low, I like the ability to just get away from it all and enjoy the country; AK is very Cold, I like the cold and dark; I am a Hunter and would like to do more fishing; I grew up on the edge of the snowline in our Valley in Australia and I love Mountainous and north american/European countryside; I have a dream of starting my own small workshop/machine shop (not necessarily profitable); I want to Own My own home and build it and build my own furniture; I want to start a family and have a decent wife/relationship (In Australia we have very bad marriage laws); I feel like there would be enough Work for me to come over to AK.

I am a Trade Qualified CNC/Manual Metal Machinist. I have spent the last 3 years working as a Millwright/Industrial Mechanic (In Australia one trade certification allows you to be both Industrial mechanic/Millwright and Machinist ). I am going to try to find some industrial work here in AK to get my working Visa and start the process to becoming Permanent resident and Hopefully a naturalised Citizen one day. Any suggestions of industrial companies and or Plants/mines/sites to work for would be greatly appreciated. I am working at the moment in Australia and Saving for money for the big move. I want to hopefully come over after the coronavirus around March/April/May (when snow starts to recede) 2021. I am looking at coming over and Renting a Truck and driving around with my resume and qualifications/licences and trying to find a job, going to drive up to fairbanks and around anchorage/wasilla/manatuska area. After finding a job I would then start the immigration procedure and look at the big move.
    Any tips on job hunting in AK, I was just going to start knocking on doors and explaining my situation?

With the Big move I am trying to save up around $30K-60K USD, So I can come over. I want to go to the Lower 48 and Buy a decent Truck and Buy my own Trade tools/equipment (ALL MADE IN USA). Buy any more things/clothing/stuff etc I need and do the drive through Canada and over into AK. I also want to have a decent chunk of cash left over for renting a cabin/house bond/rent etc and living expenses covered off for a while. Also to still have a chunk of money left over to maybe use as a deposit to buy land would be good.

My idea is to generally Have a job (visa) and during my time to becoming a permanent resident/ citizen , Spending summers exploring, hunting, and seeing the whole state and starting to decide where I would like to settle/live/buy a propety. Delta Junction and Glenallen seem to stand out to me. I am fine with living 100 miles away from town/city, done it here in Australia. If in that Time if come across a special lady, then I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Any more comments about anything that could help would be much appreciated.
    Oh and if you would like to know more about why I dont want to be in Australia, I am happy to discuss with people on here/over the phone/email. I need more specific questions about stuff because its easy for me to ramble on about it, I just dont really want to fill up this post with negative crap.

Thanks
    DavoDownunder

edited: should have proof read for grammar, just fixed up typos and grammar

The Kenai Peninsula has the type of work you're looking for.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Thanks Dude, Appreciate it

Comment

Interesting idea!

In order to hunt in Alaska without a guide, you will have to become a U.S. citizen. If you're a good worker, you MAY be able to go to work for a guide service and gain some experience that way. Not guiding clients, but general work; packing, skinning, camp setup, and so forth. Most of the guides I worked with had other jobs during the off season, as guiding rarely pays enough in itself to cover all the bills. If you're the right sort, this could work out very well for you!

Welcome aboard!

-Mike

Michael Strahan
        Site Owner
        Alaska Hunt Consultant
        1 (907) 229-4501

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Strahan View Post
          Interesting idea!

In order to hunt in Alaska without a guide, you will have to become a U.S. citizen. If you're a good worker, you MAY be able to go to work for a guide service and gain some experience that way. Not guiding clients, but general work; packing, skinning, camp setup, and so forth. Most of the guides I worked with had other jobs during the off season, as guiding rarely pays enough in itself to cover all the bills. If you're the right sort, this could work out very well for you!

Welcome aboard!

-Mike

Mike, are you sure about that? I know that non-citizens can still become residents of the state. I used to have a commercial fishing deckhand that was a resident of Alaska while still working towards citizenship. The regulations are primarily centered on residency, not citizenship - at least, that's my understanding.

Comment

Page 9 of the current regulations state that a resident can indeed be an alien (non-citizen) as long as they meet residency requirements.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ap...74/general.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by davodownunder View Post
              Thanks Dude, Appreciate it
              Understand though the the KP wouldn't be the "living 100 miles from any town/city." The KP is kinda like a big playground for Alaska, and it's probably more populated than it sounds like you're looking for. Fairbanks might be more suited to you. Yes, Fairbanks is a good sized city, but you could probably find work there, yet drive some time out of town and be in the middle of nowhere. Like you also said, Glenallen/Delta Junction area also sound more like what you're looking for......imo. Especially if you don't mind the cold.
              Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post

Understand though the the KP wouldn't be the "living 100 miles from any town/city." The KP is kinda like a big playground for Alaska, and it's probably more populated than it sounds like you're looking for. Fairbanks might be more suited to you. Yes, Fairbanks is a good sized city, but you could probably find work there, yet drive some time out of town and be in the middle of nowhere. Like you also said, Glenallen/Delta Junction area also sound more like what you're looking for......imo. Especially if you don't mind the cold.

Sorry, I may have phrased it a little weird.
                I will be moving somewhere with population/plants/factories etc. and will be living there probably for 5/10years. Because for being a millwright you need to be around towns/cities.
                Living around town doesn't bother me, just wouldn't be interested in buying property and settling there, I like the bush too much!
                Longer term i want to buy property and live somewhere like Glenallen/delta junction, My dream is to have some land I can have some crops and livestock on and live there to sort of retire/move off the grid slowly. Glenallen and delta junction are two places where I could find crops/feed paddocks. (on google satellite images). The dream isnt fixed though things might change I know that and im open to wherever things might lead. After all its only a dream and not yet reality!

Comment

You may want to look in to pogo mine in delta jct, for work or ft knox mine in fairbank

Comment

Have a good buddy who was a machinist at Ted Stevens International for many years, he had a great career....there's ALWAYS work for handy folks up here....
                    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Comment

Have to agree with the last couple of posts. Delta is a good place for farming and getting some acreage Not too far from Fairbanks, either for trips to town for supplies. Pogo mine could likely use your skills....not the place to go if you want a total divorce from Australia, however.
                      Louis Knapp

Comment

Originally posted by Louis View Post
                        Pogo mine could likely use your skills....not the place to go if you want a total divorce from Australia, however.
                        What do you mean by total divorce from Australia?
                        if you mean in that the company north star resources is owned by Australia?
                        I dont mind if My workplace is owned by Australia, Run like an Australian business etc

For Me its about getting to AK. and just little things about being in the states, like being able to Buy a USA Made tools and clothes/boots etc. knowing that when I pick something up and see its made in USA that gives me pride in My country and knowing I am giving someone a job, Thats a big reason for me wanting to come to the USA. Not because its MADE IN USA because it is, but because I want to live in a country and support that country as much as I can.

Comment

Originally posted by davodownunder View Post

For Me its about getting to AK. and just little things about being in the states, like being able to Buy a USA Made tools and clothes/boots etc. knowing that when I pick something up and see its made in USA that gives me pride in My country and knowing I am giving someone a job, Thats a big reason for me wanting to come to the USA. Not because its MADE IN USA because it is, but because I want to live in a country and support that country as much as I can.
                          I wish we had more Americans who think like that!
                          I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

I have a bit of an Odd ball question about Alaska. Whilst I understand the USA varies from state to state with so many things I wanted to Ask about generally how helpful people are.

In My country Laws/regulations/government is almost identical state to state, Living in a state is not decided by particular laws etc. A lot of people that travel and see the country will settle on a state that reflects their cultural ideals and just generally how people are.

In the state where I was raised "Victoria" If I was broken down on the side of the Highway, it would be very unlikely for someone to stop and help you, people sort just ignore you.
                            That same attitude/principle can extend to relationships with people too.

The state where I live now is "South Australia", If i were broken down on the highway, someone would stop and offer help.
                            I offer to help anyone on the side of the road, its just that when you help people and no one helps you, it kind of doesn't sit right with you.

If i were broken down on the side of the highway in AK would it be likely someone would help me out, of course the same goes for myself helping others?
                            i guess how charitable are people in general is suppose?

Comment

Alaskans are usually extremely helpful. Especially the more rural you are.
                              Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X