Just interested in knowing what you folks think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just interested in knowing what you folks think

The plan is when we relocate to Alaska, we will rent for one year and then begin looking for a cabin to live in year round. We "cabin shop" online about once per month to get a feel for prices.
    Someone asked me if I would have a chance to do something that may make more sense, and I donīt know so my question is;
    If we find a place to live, letīs say a 800 square foot cabin with 5 acres for 125k and we think it is perfect. Do you think the private seller would agree if we say for one year we want to rent it, and agree on a monthly rent cost, letīs just say $900 per month, and after 6 months or 12 months if we decide to buy it we will still pay the full 125k price at that time. The reason it seems like a good idea is we donīt want to find out shortly after buying it that there were many dirty secrets that the seller did not mention ie the x beaks every 2nd week, or just anything like that?
    Would sellers typically go for that, especially if the place is a little over-priced and has been on the market for 3-5 years already? On one han i think why wouldnīt they, theyīd be gettin $4500-9k more than they were asking for if we buy, but on the other hand maybe he will figure that amount of money is not worth it and heīd rather it sit there empty for another 10 years maybe. (of course a deposit would be left in case of if we damage something)..
    Would love to hear your opinions so we know if that could be done in Alaska. Thanks.

Doesn't sound realistic, but ya never know...I have a feeling that sellers are going to be feeling the heat here soon. Could be a buyer's paradise the next couple of years.
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Comment

Personally, if I was a seller who had a cabin on the market for a while and got one person interested (you for example), I would assume two things. First, my price isn't necessarily too high and, second, that there may be others interested. The situation that you stated sounds good and works good for you, the buyer, but it would essentially take the cabin off the sales market for a year and the seller may feel that they would be losing out on potential sales opportunities in a situation where they have no commitment to buy from you. Yes, they would make a few bucks in the short term from the rental of it, but I don't think that would outweigh what they might be missing out on if they happen to take it off the market for that year and miss out on a full-on buyer.

You might get lucky and I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask the seller if they would be up for it, I just wouldn't count on that option being one a seller would entertain.

Comment

Sorry, Alaska is full, no more room left

Comment

Originally posted by anchskier View Post
          Personally, if I was a seller who had a cabin on the market for a while and got one person interested (you for example), I would assume two things. First, my price isn't necessarily too high and, second, that there may be others interested. The situation that you stated sounds good and works good for you, the buyer, but it would essentially take the cabin off the sales market for a year and the seller may feel that they would be losing out on potential sales opportunities in a situation where they have no commitment to buy from you. Yes, they would make a few bucks in the short term from the rental of it, but I don't think that would outweigh what they might be missing out on if they happen to take it off the market for that year and miss out on a full-on buyer.
          You might get lucky and I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask the seller if they would be up for it, I just wouldn't count on that option being one a seller would entertain.
          Skier may be right but I’ve had rentals etc before. I would welcome your offer and to offset what Skier says here, perhaps just come to an agreement that the cabin stay on the market for buyers to continue to consider. Maybe just give u ‘first option’ to purchase if u were about to get ousted. Basically it would be a ‘s h I t or get off the pot’ situation for you.
          There are many ways to work out a deal that is right for both parties.
          Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine! :whistle:
          WWG1WGA! QANON

Comment

Originally posted by cod View Post

Skier may be right but I’ve had rentals etc before. I would welcome your offer and to offset what Skier says here, perhaps just come to an agreement that the cabin stay on the market for buyers to continue to consider. Maybe just give u ‘first option’ to purchase if u were about to get ousted. Basically it would be a ‘s h I t or get off the pot’ situation for you.
            There are many ways to work out a deal that is right for both parties.
            Yea, there are different ways to skin the cat, and
            TG
            Last edited by The German; 04-21-2020, 12:45. Reason: spelling
            [ USMC 1st Marine Div. 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi ] :topjob:

Comment

Most people who I know who have owned rental properties have a few horror stories of bad renters.
              Those have always stuck in my head.
              So be sure to have good refrences for the rental portion. Also I would get pre approved for the full asking price and show that to the seller so they know your not playing games.
              I have a relative who sold a home in just the same manner you describe.
              It was a horrible experience for the seller. Horrible!
              The renters couldn't get approved for the loan and then quit paying rent. They stole some things off adjacent property that wasn't part of the sale and brought in a ton of junk to the property including broke down vehicles, boats, etc.
              Fortunately after some serious words from the seller about removing the renters their adult kids stepped in and between their three kids they secured a loan for Mom and Dad and the seller got paid.
              If I was a seller I would never agree to this kind of arrangement.
              But like I said a minimum would be great rental refrences and being pre approved for a loan in the full amount so the seller knows your not playing games.

"The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

Thanks so much to everyone for sharing your experience and for some great suggestions which I think will help us a lot. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by The German View Post

Yea, there are different ways to skin the cat, and
                  TG
                  This is off topic but are you a German, or is it just a nickname for another reason?

Comment

Originally posted by flopitdown View Post

This is off topic but are you a German, or is it just a nickname for another reason?
                    Answer to your question, "Yes", my Grandfather, and his 2-Brothers Immigrated to this Country with my Great-Grandparents in 1898, from Hamburg, Germany.
                    TG
                    [ USMC 1st Marine Div. 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi ] :topjob:

Comment

Originally posted by The German View Post

Answer to your question, "Yes", my Grandfather, and his 2-Brothers Immigrated to this Country with my Great-Grandparents in 1898, from Hamburg, Germany.
                      TG
                      Cool. My 4 grandparents were brought to the USA also in 1901-1904 from Sicily by my great-grandparents. I visited Austria in 1992 when I was 22 and wound up never leaving. Iīm about 30 minutes from the Italian border and 7 hours away from Germany in a town called Spittal an der Drau. If youīre ever in the area, let me know.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X