Putting up a dry cabin to rent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting up a dry cabin to rent

I have posted a few questions in the forum the last few months as we are preparing our move to Alaska. I have many silly questions, more out of curiosity as we will find out everything once we get there, but as we live further away we like to just get ideas (hence the silly questions).
    This week the question is after we purchase a lot of land (10-20 acres) with a home on it, could we put up one or two dry cabins on our land and rent them out to tourists or seasonal workers? Do you need a license to do this?
    We even considered putting up 1-2 campers (not the ones you drive, but pull) and renting them to seasonal workers or tourists.
    The reason we´d do this is not to make money ie an income, we already figured if the average rent cost in the area for dry cabins are $450 than we´d just go with $250 or $300 ie extremely cheap as we figure seasonal workers would be young kids with not much money.
    We´re just wondering if there are too many costs or troubles associated with doing this to make it even worth it.
    We realize the area will depend probably on if anyone would stay there, but let´s just ignore the area for now.
    Thanks.

You cannot ignore the area, Location, Location, Location is the answer to renting. Alaska is a very large area, and if you are not close to the work or a road, it will not rent. If you build in the bush, there are no permits or inspections. if you build in the outskirts of a town, within their city limits, there will be a lot of regulations to follow and inspections. Many of the cities have very large geographic areas, it might look like it is in the bush, but it is within the boundary of a city.

Comment

Okay, great, thanks for the info. Won´t be in the bush so not worth it. We just thought putting a dry cabin on our property up on airbnb etc for example would be nice to do. But now we know

Comment

Deleted.
        "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

Originally posted by flopitdown View Post
          Okay, great, thanks for the info. Won´t be in the bush so not worth it. We just thought putting a dry cabin on our property up on airbnb etc for example would be nice to do. But now we know
          Well,,,, I'll add my.02cents worth, as I'm not sure you completely understood what you were being told above,,,,,,,,,
          ie... if you wanted to build a Guest Cabin or 2 Cabins, on your Property,-[that you own]- that is all doable, but depending on where you are LOCATED, will dictate your Potential Clientele's Interest's,,,, if say you were to Advertise those Cabins as Rentals, Air-B-n-B, VRBO..... etc... that again is all doable, with enough $$$$$$$$,,,,,, but again, as it was said above,,,, Location, Location, Location,,,,,, can I say Location Again, :think:

And also, as it was pointed out above, you may, or may not have a "Building-Code" to follow,,,,,, again, it's Location, Dam,,,,, there's that word again,,,,,, anyway, it sounds to me, like you folks should Plan on doing alittle scouting and looking-around for a bit, unless your already committed that is, as this Place We Call "ALASKA" can, and will be Overwhelming/Daunting, and those are just a couple of Adjectives,,,,,,,,,,, to say the least.
          Oh, and Good Luck,,,, and may the Force be with-you.
          TG:topjob:
          [ USMC 1st Marine Div. 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi ] :topjob:

Comment

After they cook meth in the cabin, you might wish your weren't a slumlord.
            Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Nice, small Airbnb rental cabins with a view here can go $250/300 a NIGHT...all summer long. It's big business...
              "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Comment

A convenient location and you could likely rent out a dog house as a ‘cozy cabin’ in summer. 😜

Comment

Originally posted by cdubbin View Post
                  Nice, small Airbnb rental cabins with a view here can go $250/300 a NIGHT...all summer long. It's big business...
                  Yup, we have friends in homer that move into a camper all summer, pay about 24 house payments a year just with the proceeds

Comment

Thanks again all, I understand each location has different codes, etc and it is something we´ll find out once we are settled in. Was just curious to get some advice/info beforehand. Thanks again all

Comment

If you really intend to do this, be sure you understand the zoning classification of the land before you purchase. Some zoning prohibits the construction of residential units other than the primary residence, some zoning prohibits/restricts certain uses of the property, etc...
                      ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                      I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                      The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

are you now or will you become a US citizen? That may be a factor to business ownership

Comment

Thanks, we will definitely learn the zoning classifications before buying (although the first year we will rent so we will have time for this). I was just curious about all of this
                          I´m an American, just lived overseas the past 25 years

Comment

We have a camp ground in town and they build all of their rental cabins on trailers. That way, they are not "permanent" structures. That might help with the building codes issue.

Patriot Life Member NRA
                            Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                            Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
                              We have a camp ground in town and they build all of their rental cabins on trailers. That way, they are not "permanent" structures. That might help with the building codes issue.

Good to hear these things, thanks a lot. So we have several options which we will learn once we settle in. Thanks.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X