Humor me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humor me

My wife and I could possibly be in a position to relocate to Alaska in 5 years. We are currently perplexed by where.

Obviously I want to hunt a lot, but I realize that one moose a year is all we can eat and I want to be somewhere that I can do smaller trips (fishing, bird hunting, or deer hunting) more easily.

SE is appealing with easy access to open water (we are boat lovers) and deer hunting. Cons I see are frequent rain and being landlocked without roads to roam.

I have a second idea which is setting up somewhere on the south central road system with bird hunting providing a frequent opportunity. Fishing would be rivers with some possibility of open water depending on where we land. Roads give us access to material goods, healthcare options, and distant adventures with less planning or third party support.

My wife would probably continue teaching school in Alaska. I might not have to do anything full time if all goes as planned between now and them.

I have been to Alaska 4 times and canít get enough...but admittedly never in the winter.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Coooper Landing

Girdwood
    "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

Assuming you'll be retired. I suggest Matsu valley or Willow. Land is relatively cheap there

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
      -Tim

Comment

Originally posted by TR View Post
        Assuming you'll be retired. I suggest Matsu valley or Willow. Land is relatively cheap there

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
        And Anchorage

Comment

Originally posted by mobilefamily View Post

I have been to Alaska 4 times and canít get enough...but admittedly never in the winter.
          You may want to take a nice little vacation up here in the winter before deciding if it's for you or not....
          Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Couple of thoughts from someone who spent an unfortunate amount of time in Texas rather than Alaska.

- Others will have different views, but (varying to a wide degree), being on the road system means only that you may be a bit closer to where you have to go off road for the hunting & fishing opportunities.

- If you live in Los Anchorage and work and use the road system ONLY to access hunting and fishing, you'll be competing with lots of other folks from Anchorage. IMO, the road system in AK isn't at all like in Texas where one can drive into the Hill Country and see lots of deer to shoot.

- If one is tied to weekends only, it's difficult to work in good trips from Anchorage...not at all impossible, but again, not like Texas where driving 6 hours on a Friday night gets you into the stand bright and early Saturday a.m. .... take the vacation that 4merGuide suggests, but take it during hunting season and drive to the Denali Highway, to Purinton Creek and Eureka on the Glenn Highway, Deshka Landing (a fishing jump-off) on the Parks, etc. It will show how crowded the road-accessible spots can get.

- It's actually fairly straightforward to get out for hunting and fishing on the road system: but it takes some thought and planning and a fair amount of time. There's a spot I know that, an honest estimate, if I went to the end of the 4WD-accessible road and then ATV'd for a mile, and then spent a solid two weeks camping, I'd probably have a 60% chance of getting a legal bull moose<<<< but I believe the critical path to that result is the two weeks spent in the location, something difficult to do on a weekend.

I'd second the suggestions already made on location: Mat-Su / Willow / Cooper Landing and would add perhaps up near Eureka, but that might not be close enough to a population center for your needs.

Definitely come up and spend some significant time in the winter (meaning Dec - Feb) before pulling the trigger.

Comment

We're all full up here. Already have 1 person per square mile.
              Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Being from the San Antonio area (Converse and Marion), I could not agree with PA12drvr more about driving times and such. It is very different and I think folks seem to think that they will see animals everywhere when they come up here. The road system is so limited that access can be difficult, but if you are willing to use a boat, wheeler, plane, or hike- then there is so much to see. The Kenai river is truly amazing and the first time you see the view coming into Cooper Landing will make you think you are looking at a picture book. Kodiak is gorgeous but my wife said no to moving there! Prince William Sound is gorgeous and accessible via boat/plane.

We settled on Anchorage for convenience of work and bought land north of Willow. The Matsu area has moose, caribou, grouse,ducks, fishing (lakes and rivers/creeks), trails for atv/snowmachines, etc. Road accessible tracts of land are pretty pricey and some of the sellers of land in the Willow/Talkeetna area prefer to sell to people by word of mouth so there is likely more than you might think of.

Advantages and disadvantages to being anywhere, but knowing that you are here and waking up pretty much anywhere in Alaska is great. I miss the people, food including Blue Bell, deer, hogs, and turkey's from TX but have never loved a place like here. Been here 20 years and never leaving!

Try to limit your search for what you will do or want to do the most and realize that you will need to travel to do other things. Since you have visited here, you already know that AK is just too big to see it all.

Comment

Originally posted by AKBEE View Post
                  ...The Kenai river is truly amazing and the first time you see the view coming into Cooper Landing will make you think you are looking at a picture book.....
                  Here, here!!! No doubt one the most incredible rivers on the planet!!!
                  Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post
                    We're all full up here. Already have 1 person per square mile.
                    YEP, I couldnt agree more!!!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X