Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R Walter
    replied
    Another dude on his Great Alaskan adventure... Save money for the trip back down.

Leave a comment:

• flopitdown
    replied
    Appreciate all of the help from everyone. I´ll post more in the forum in different sections depending on further questions we may have.
    But we added some new places to our car route and got some great advice and info, thanks

Leave a comment:

• Chez
    replied
    If you work from home just rent a place for a few years while you travel on your free time. A few places may make you say OOoooohhhh but living there is a different story, thats why most people leave after a few years here.

If working from home requires fast internet access you'll pretty much be limited to city areas

Leave a comment:

• Music Man
    replied
    Originally posted by flopitdown View Post
    thanks, i think i saw the newest version on amazon for $24 or $25 the other day when the other guy mentioned it. or maybe it was lasty ears, I´ll definitely get it for the trip

Get it now! It has lots of info that will help you in your planning stage!

Leave a comment:

• flopitdown
    replied
    Originally posted by Old John View Post
    Earlier someone suggested you buy a Milepost, and I second that advice. The Mile post is kind of pricey, so with Thrift in mind, I'd suggest you look on Amazon.com under used books for a more recent copy.

thanks, i think i saw the newest version on amazon for $24 or $25 the other day when the other guy mentioned it. or maybe it was lasty ears, I´ll definitely get it for the trip

Leave a comment:

• Old John
    replied
    Earlier someone suggested you buy a Milepost, and I second that advice. The Mile post is kind of pricey, so with Thrift in mind, I'd suggest you look on Amazon.com under used books for a more recent copy.

Leave a comment:

• flopitdown
    replied
    Originally posted by boneguy View Post
    The longer the better!! I would avoid a fixed plan. Start south in May and work North. Just go with the flow weather, fires and people will be the major factors in how much you can take in. You may even want to visit the same place a few times weeks apart. The nice thing about renting for a year is you can do several return trips to look at places. Anchorage and the Mat Su Valley is a good central area to base out of for a year if you are undecided and want to spend more time looking.
    DENNY
    Yes, probably best if we rented for the year and also looked at more places as we may find another area we prefer more, thanks

Leave a comment:

• boneguy
    replied
    The longer the better!! I would avoid a fixed plan. Start south in May and work North. Just go with the flow weather, fires and people will be the major factors in how much you can take in. You may even want to visit the same place a few times weeks apart. The nice thing about renting for a year is you can do several return trips to look at places. Anchorage and the Mat Su Valley is a good central area to base out of for a year if you are undecided and want to spend more time looking.
    DENNY

Leave a comment:

• flopitdown
    replied
    Originally posted by boneguy View Post
    I think you have a great plan!! Don't be in a hurry to buy, renting will give you a good chance to see if you like a spot. Just because someone thinks they have the "BEST" place to live may not really fit what you think is best. Yours is the best "Move to Alaska" plans I have seen on the forum. When you do your drive stay flexible and chase good weather and avoid fires if possible even if it means backtracking a day or two.
    DENNY
    Hi Denny, thanks. Yes, we were leaning towards renting first and after seeing all of the post like yours saying rent first, i think it makes more sense.
    One concern was how much time should we give the car ride (according to our route). We could not decide between 4 weeks to 12 weeks, but we felt 12 weeks was way too much time, so we figured 8 weeks should give us plenty of time to "take a break" and stay somewhere a couple of extra days in case we are tired or in case of something happening like you said. Worse case scenario, though, if we finish the arrival trip even in 4 weeks or 12 weeks it doesn´t really matter as we´ll still choose a place when the ride ends.

Leave a comment:

• boneguy
    replied
    I think you have a great plan!! Don't be in a hurry to buy, renting will give you a good chance to see if you like a spot. Just because someone thinks they have the "BEST" place to live may not really fit what you think is best. Yours is the best "Move to Alaska" plans I have seen on the forum. When you do your drive stay flexible and chase good weather and avoid fires if possible even if it means backtracking a day or two.
    DENNY

Leave a comment:

• flopitdown
    replied
    Originally posted by pa12drvr View Post
    Unfortunately, not near Paxson.

I'd also agree with the other poster...be triple skeptical (maybe "determine everything for yourself" is a better phrase) concerning anything to do with the land: title, zoning (may or may not be an issue), setbacks from bodies of water, well status, water status, lot / cabin location (worth even some significant money to have it surveyed), year-round access, road status (public or private), road maintenance status (public or private...and if public, how frequently....quite a few folks even on the road system have access that is dependent on the vagaries of DoT/PF's plowing "schedule"), airstrip access if that's the primary means of getting to / from, etc.

Okay, thanks. We will have an Alaskan native assist us after our 2 month car trip when we are buying or even renting any property, as we realize they will be able to advise us on what is a good deal and what to stay away from. We have kept in touch with the ex-denali park ranger since 2015 who now works in Anchorage. We really prepared a lot of things, it was just hard to say all of them in my original post, but many things everyone said was really really helpful

Leave a comment:

• pa12drvr
    replied
    Originally posted by flopitdown View Post
    I looked up these places (creek lake mountain wolverine lake, wolverine mountain, etc and find a few of them. It would really be great to hear if you mean near Paxson?
    Unfortunately, not near Paxson.

I'd also agree with the other poster...be triple skeptical (maybe "determine everything for yourself" is a better phrase) concerning anything to do with the land: title, zoning (may or may not be an issue), setbacks from bodies of water, well status, water status, lot / cabin location (worth even some significant money to have it surveyed), year-round access, road status (public or private), road maintenance status (public or private...and if public, how frequently....quite a few folks even on the road system have access that is dependent on the vagaries of DoT/PF's plowing "schedule"), airstrip access if that's the primary means of getting to / from, etc.

Leave a comment:

• flopitdown
    replied
    Originally posted by greyinggrayling View Post
    With regards to land and cabins:

What’s good in summer may not be good in Spring or Fall.
    What’s good in winter may not be accessible most of the year.
    Just because a cabin is built there doesn’t mean it’s accessible, may have been built in a 90 day window when waters were frozen just enough to haul in the materials on sled. You may have swamp and mosquitoes the rest of the year.
    (is the cabin even on your lot?? You’d be surprised).
    Just because it has a well doesn’t mean it flows year round. Or the water is good. Lots of places in this state have well water that stinks of sulfur so bad it smells like rotten eggs and chicken farts.
    The groomed airstrip pictured nearby may be private, with an unyielding owner. Not all airstrips up here are public access, even if listed as such in someone’s flowery write up.
    The “fantastic” historic salmon runs in the nearby river may no longer exist. Any ideas of sustenance may be quickly squashed if you can’t even fish nearby.
    Etc.

There are a bunch of land and half-started cabins up here that are being sold for a reason. This includes land from the state being sold OTC or auction.

Be skeptical. There are some true lemons up here that can look like roses during certain times of the year.
    Or the listing is painted in beautiful pictures and phrases, none of which may be true.
    In some boroughs the yearly tax assessment may be more than the sad land is worth.

been there, done that, learned lessons the hard way

Be skeptical of every person selling land, every real estate agent, and even state offerings. Visit everything in person, different times of the year if possible. Seek out landowners nearby and question them about access year round, or lack of access because the road or easement does not even exist. You can locate names of adjacent land owners online through many borough websites.

I agree with a previous post - rent for a year first, then make your decision based on first-hand knowledge. I know you’re not going into this totally blind, but in AK, the rose colored glasses have lots of unseen cracks. Nothing is as it seems.

Got it, thanks. Yes, renting at first is definitely ideal because we thought, maybe we do not even like the mainland area and want to try another area like Kenai Peninsula. We just didn´t want to take buying off the table just so we´d have more options, but renting makes more sense.

Leave a comment:

• flopitdown
    replied
    Originally posted by pa12drvr View Post

- I've got a cabin out in the woods, surrounded by various areas named "Wolverine _____" (creek lake mountain, etc). In 50 + years of being at the cabin (on a recreational ++ basis) , I've had several (probably 15 - 20) wolverine sightings. FWIW, I've seen 3 in the past 3 years on the Los Anchorage Hillside. Wolverines are in quite a few areas, but they're not necessarily common to see.
    I looked up these places (creek lake mountain wolverine lake, wolverine mountain, etc and find a few of them. It would really be great to hear if you mean near Paxson?

Leave a comment:

• AGL4now
    replied
    One problem is Alaskan Residents want "CHEAP" Land. And it is cheap for a reason. Thirty or fifty years in the future it will still be "CHEAP" Land.

Quality Land will demand and receive a premium price. And thirty or fifty years in the future it will demand and receive a premium price.

For the most part NON-Alaska Residents buy quality land. Alaska Residents buy cheap land. Which is part of why Non-Residents are having greater and greater influence on Alaska.

Fifty or sixty years ago the dominant land owners in Alaska were those of us who were finishing up our homestead requirements to get our Federal Land Patent.

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X