A Really Long Post Where Opinions Are Appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NRick View Post
    A few comments on Brian's excellent response below in red.

Some one just recorded one on their security camera in their driveway a couple blocks from my house in Anchorage. Apparently it also attacked a neighbors cat.

I've seen them just outside of Kenai while driving down the highway.

Drive down to the launch facility from Kodiak and there is a fair chance you might hit one.
    True, people see wolverines on the Anchorage hillside. Rarely. It's not that it can't happen, but I wanted to be clear to the OP that one shouldn't have any expectation of seeing a wolverine in their yard regardless of where they live in AK. The best way to see one is to spend a lot of time in the mountains.

Regarding the caribou in Kenai, the OP mentioned watching herds migrate. The very small population that lives on the central Kenai Peninsula are not really migratory, nor do they form herds - at least not in the sense of what I generally think of when I picture a herd of migrating caribou. Yep, you can see a couple of caribou on the side of the road while driving to the grocery store, but you're not going to see 2,000 caribou walking to the horizon. As I read his original post, I think that's what he was hoping to see. On the road system, that's only going to happen on the Denali Highway, possibly on the Steese or Taylor Highways, or at the top of the Dalton Highway - not on the Kenai Peninsula.

As for the bison on Kodiak, those are domestic animals. I'm assuming that the OP wants to see wild bison, not ranch animals. If that's his goal, heck, he could just move to Portage and watch the majestic bison, caribou, elk, and bears behind fences.

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
      Yes, like he said he's only a couple blocks off the hiway.[LEFT][COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]
      If you go far enough north out of Kenai, you get into what is called Nikiski. He's somewhere in that area.

Thanks a lot, will check it out

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
        There are a lot Wolves in that area and east through the Daniels Lake Country and clear cross the whole south shore of Turnagain Arm. Lot of huge Brown Bears also.

Thanks will check it out when we´re there, appreciate it

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post
          When you get close, you'll be hearing banjo music.

lol I should be packing my banjo then.

Comment

Originally posted by pa12drvr View Post
            Others have said most of what should be said, but I can't resist chiming in:

- The OP mentioned that he works from home...so presumably ending up in a spot with good internet will be important. Probably not hard to find, but should be something to research when picking a spot.

- I've got a cabin out in the woods, surrounded by various areas named "Wolverine _____" (creek lake mountain, etc). In 50 + years of being at the cabin (on a recreational ++ basis) , I've had several (probably 15 - 20) wolverine sightings. FWIW, I've seen 3 in the past 3 years on the Los Anchorage Hillside. Wolverines are in quite a few areas, but they're not necessarily common to see.

- Wolves are where they are...have seen either a wolf or a group of wolves at the cabin probably 10 times...and eight of those times it was when I was way out, hunkered down, looking for wolf, colder than the proverbial...to see wolves I believe one has to work at it, or spend LOTS of time way OUT

- The more "remote" you are from the "city", the more you'll need to be self-sufficient in your living skills: carpentry, painting, roofing, auto repair / maintenance, etc. I don't believe this should be underestimated.

- When I decide to mail a package from my Los Anchorage Hillside house, it's a bit of a PITA in what passes for winter in Anchorage: start the truck, let it warm up for a bit (the garage is occupied by the wife's car), throw on the jacket, drive 15 minutes to the nearest Post Office that takes packages, return. Multiply that by 10 if you have to do the same thing in a place at the far extent of the road system....not a barrier, perhaps part of the allure, but a lot of daily living stuff tends to take more time when one is located on the edges of the road system. That same 30 minute round trip can be used for groceries.....if living on the edge of the road system, think hours or days, not minutes, for the grocery trip. Not a problem, easy to plan for, but should be factored into the site selection process.

- Similarly, if the wife and I want a nice dinner in downtown Los Anchorage, the 45 minutes that we plan ahead would turn into a couple hours for a Healy-Fbks dash, or a Sunrise - Los Anchorage dash, etc.

Lots of folks come up to Alaska with many ideas (often much wackier ideas than the OP's) and find out that reality is different than even a thorough and logical analysis of "what if".

If the OP's skills are indeed portable, I'd suggest taking the 2-month drive (with all the cautions and adjustments suggested by prior posters) AND then rent a place for a couple of years to see how it plays out.

Sounds good and thanks again. Appreciate the time you took letting us know these things.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian M View Post
              True, people see wolverines on the Anchorage hillside. Rarely. It's not that it can't happen, but I wanted to be clear to the OP that one shouldn't have any expectation of seeing a wolverine in their yard regardless of where they live in AK. The best way to see one is to spend a lot of time in the mountains.

Regarding the caribou in Kenai, the OP mentioned watching herds migrate. The very small population that lives on the central Kenai Peninsula are not really migratory, nor do they form herds - at least not in the sense of what I generally think of when I picture a herd of migrating caribou. Yep, you can see a couple of caribou on the side of the road while driving to the grocery store, but you're not going to see 2,000 caribou walking to the horizon. As I read his original post, I think that's what he was hoping to see. On the road system, that's only going to happen on the Denali Highway, possibly on the Steese or Taylor Highways, or at the top of the Dalton Highway - not on the Kenai Peninsula.

As for the bison on Kodiak, those are domestic animals. I'm assuming that the OP wants to see wild bison, not ranch animals. If that's his goal, heck, he could just move to Portage and watch the majestic bison, caribou, elk, and bears behind fences.

Yes regarding the caribou herds the park ranger in denali gave me a spot something like 20 minutes or so from Healy where she said people can observie the caribou migrating, but she may have meant very small herds. But we´ll figure this out once we´re there. We wouldn´t mind having to drive an hour or so to see the migrating herds

Comment

With regards to land and cabins:

What’s good in summer may not be good in Spring or Fall.
                What’s good in winter may not be accessible most of the year.
                Just because a cabin is built there doesn’t mean it’s accessible, may have been built in a 90 day window when waters were frozen just enough to haul in the materials on sled. You may have swamp and mosquitoes the rest of the year.
                (is the cabin even on your lot?? You’d be surprised).
                Just because it has a well doesn’t mean it flows year round. Or the water is good. Lots of places in this state have well water that stinks of sulfur so bad it smells like rotten eggs and chicken farts.
                The groomed airstrip pictured nearby may be private, with an unyielding owner. Not all airstrips up here are public access, even if listed as such in someone’s flowery write up.
                The “fantastic” historic salmon runs in the nearby river may no longer exist. Any ideas of sustenance may be quickly squashed if you can’t even fish nearby.
                Etc.

There are a bunch of land and half-started cabins up here that are being sold for a reason. This includes land from the state being sold OTC or auction.

Be skeptical. There are some true lemons up here that can look like roses during certain times of the year.
                Or the listing is painted in beautiful pictures and phrases, none of which may be true.
                In some boroughs the yearly tax assessment may be more than the sad land is worth.

been there, done that, learned lessons the hard way

Be skeptical of every person selling land, every real estate agent, and even state offerings. Visit everything in person, different times of the year if possible. Seek out landowners nearby and question them about access year round, or lack of access because the road or easement does not even exist. You can locate names of adjacent land owners online through many borough websites.

I agree with a previous post - rent for a year first, then make your decision based on first-hand knowledge. I know you’re not going into this totally blind, but in AK, the rose colored glasses have lots of unseen cracks. Nothing is as it seems.

Comment

One problem is Alaskan Residents want "CHEAP" Land. And it is cheap for a reason. Thirty or fifty years in the future it will still be "CHEAP" Land.

Quality Land will demand and receive a premium price. And thirty or fifty years in the future it will demand and receive a premium price.

For the most part NON-Alaska Residents buy quality land. Alaska Residents buy cheap land. Which is part of why Non-Residents are having greater and greater influence on Alaska.

Fifty or sixty years ago the dominant land owners in Alaska were those of us who were finishing up our homestead requirements to get our Federal Land Patent.
                  "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

- I've got a cabin out in the woods, surrounded by various areas named "Wolverine _____" (creek lake mountain, etc). In 50 + years of being at the cabin (on a recreational ++ basis) , I've had several (probably 15 - 20) wolverine sightings. FWIW, I've seen 3 in the past 3 years on the Los Anchorage Hillside. Wolverines are in quite a few areas, but they're not necessarily common to see.
                    I looked up these places (creek lake mountain wolverine lake, wolverine mountain, etc and find a few of them. It would really be great to hear if you mean near Paxson?

Comment

Originally posted by greyinggrayling View Post
                      With regards to land and cabins:

What’s good in summer may not be good in Spring or Fall.
                      What’s good in winter may not be accessible most of the year.
                      Just because a cabin is built there doesn’t mean it’s accessible, may have been built in a 90 day window when waters were frozen just enough to haul in the materials on sled. You may have swamp and mosquitoes the rest of the year.
                      (is the cabin even on your lot?? You’d be surprised).
                      Just because it has a well doesn’t mean it flows year round. Or the water is good. Lots of places in this state have well water that stinks of sulfur so bad it smells like rotten eggs and chicken farts.
                      The groomed airstrip pictured nearby may be private, with an unyielding owner. Not all airstrips up here are public access, even if listed as such in someone’s flowery write up.
                      The “fantastic” historic salmon runs in the nearby river may no longer exist. Any ideas of sustenance may be quickly squashed if you can’t even fish nearby.
                      Etc.

There are a bunch of land and half-started cabins up here that are being sold for a reason. This includes land from the state being sold OTC or auction.

Be skeptical. There are some true lemons up here that can look like roses during certain times of the year.
                      Or the listing is painted in beautiful pictures and phrases, none of which may be true.
                      In some boroughs the yearly tax assessment may be more than the sad land is worth.

been there, done that, learned lessons the hard way

Be skeptical of every person selling land, every real estate agent, and even state offerings. Visit everything in person, different times of the year if possible. Seek out landowners nearby and question them about access year round, or lack of access because the road or easement does not even exist. You can locate names of adjacent land owners online through many borough websites.

I agree with a previous post - rent for a year first, then make your decision based on first-hand knowledge. I know you’re not going into this totally blind, but in AK, the rose colored glasses have lots of unseen cracks. Nothing is as it seems.

Got it, thanks. Yes, renting at first is definitely ideal because we thought, maybe we do not even like the mainland area and want to try another area like Kenai Peninsula. We just didn´t want to take buying off the table just so we´d have more options, but renting makes more sense.

Comment

Originally posted by flopitdown View Post
                        I looked up these places (creek lake mountain wolverine lake, wolverine mountain, etc and find a few of them. It would really be great to hear if you mean near Paxson?
                        Unfortunately, not near Paxson.

I'd also agree with the other poster...be triple skeptical (maybe "determine everything for yourself" is a better phrase) concerning anything to do with the land: title, zoning (may or may not be an issue), setbacks from bodies of water, well status, water status, lot / cabin location (worth even some significant money to have it surveyed), year-round access, road status (public or private), road maintenance status (public or private...and if public, how frequently....quite a few folks even on the road system have access that is dependent on the vagaries of DoT/PF's plowing "schedule"), airstrip access if that's the primary means of getting to / from, etc.

Comment

Unfortunately, not near Paxson.

I'd also agree with the other poster...be triple skeptical (maybe "determine everything for yourself" is a better phrase) concerning anything to do with the land: title, zoning (may or may not be an issue), setbacks from bodies of water, well status, water status, lot / cabin location (worth even some significant money to have it surveyed), year-round access, road status (public or private), road maintenance status (public or private...and if public, how frequently....quite a few folks even on the road system have access that is dependent on the vagaries of DoT/PF's plowing "schedule"), airstrip access if that's the primary means of getting to / from, etc.

Okay, thanks. We will have an Alaskan native assist us after our 2 month car trip when we are buying or even renting any property, as we realize they will be able to advise us on what is a good deal and what to stay away from. We have kept in touch with the ex-denali park ranger since 2015 who now works in Anchorage. We really prepared a lot of things, it was just hard to say all of them in my original post, but many things everyone said was really really helpful

Comment

I think you have a great plan!! Don't be in a hurry to buy, renting will give you a good chance to see if you like a spot. Just because someone thinks they have the "BEST" place to live may not really fit what you think is best. Yours is the best "Move to Alaska" plans I have seen on the forum. When you do your drive stay flexible and chase good weather and avoid fires if possible even if it means backtracking a day or two.
                            DENNY

Comment

Originally posted by boneguy View Post
                              I think you have a great plan!! Don't be in a hurry to buy, renting will give you a good chance to see if you like a spot. Just because someone thinks they have the "BEST" place to live may not really fit what you think is best. Yours is the best "Move to Alaska" plans I have seen on the forum. When you do your drive stay flexible and chase good weather and avoid fires if possible even if it means backtracking a day or two.
                              DENNY
                              Hi Denny, thanks. Yes, we were leaning towards renting first and after seeing all of the post like yours saying rent first, i think it makes more sense.
                              One concern was how much time should we give the car ride (according to our route). We could not decide between 4 weeks to 12 weeks, but we felt 12 weeks was way too much time, so we figured 8 weeks should give us plenty of time to "take a break" and stay somewhere a couple of extra days in case we are tired or in case of something happening like you said. Worse case scenario, though, if we finish the arrival trip even in 4 weeks or 12 weeks it doesn´t really matter as we´ll still choose a place when the ride ends.

Comment

The longer the better!! I would avoid a fixed plan. Start south in May and work North. Just go with the flow weather, fires and people will be the major factors in how much you can take in. You may even want to visit the same place a few times weeks apart. The nice thing about renting for a year is you can do several return trips to look at places. Anchorage and the Mat Su Valley is a good central area to base out of for a year if you are undecided and want to spend more time looking.
                                DENNY

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X