No announcement yet.

A Really Long Post Where Opinions Are Appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually it has really been nice to see all of the advice and tips.
    Im not sure if I was really clear in my first post, but after the 2 month car ride, we will be looking for a cabin with running water and electricity (not a dry cabin) in the town we decide to settle down in.
    Near a lake would be excellent.
    We do have Healy at the top of our list but places like Tok (as someone suggested) are also in the top 5. Or near a lake. Renting or buying, depens on what we find.
    Grocery stores somewhat nearby are necessary.
    If we never see any wildlife in our yard we will not be disappointed, that would just be a bonus and what we would prefer. W don`t mind driving out to see caribou migrating etc at the time they do this.
    Were more interested in land wildlife than sea life, so living in places like Valdez, as much as that place sounds great with the snow, is unlikely.
    We dont want to be further north than the North Pole area.
    We considered Kodiak, Unalasaka and some places in the southeast islands I forget their names, but chose against living on any islands.

Comment

Pick a place... anyplace spend some time, Central comes to mind or Manley.... not much there... Central sure looks inviting when I drive through there...
      If you want to see wild game, just spend a lot of time outdoors, travel, explore, they are out there but you will have to look, and will be much easier figuring out where to go once you spend some time here.....You simply have to put the time in, no one can answer that for you, its a big state and everyone has a different take on a place, most of the time its employment... If you are not tied to a job situation, then Alaska is your oyster....
      We have digressed from a Nation of Revolutionaries to a country of entitlements"

Comment

Originally posted by Akgramps View Post
        Pick a place... anyplace spend some time, Central comes to mind or Manley.... not much there... Central sure looks inviting when I drive through there...
        If you want to see wild game, just spend a lot of time outdoors, travel, explore, they are out there but you will have to look, and will be much easier figuring out where to go once you spend some time here.....You simply have to put the time in, no one can answer that for you, its a big state and everyone has a different take on a place, most of the time its employment... If you are not tied to a job situation, then Alaska is your oyster....

Got it, thanks. Well figure it out when we drive through

Comment

I have moose, bears, coyotes, and all manner of smaller critters visit my yard. I'm 18 miles out of Kenai and 2 blocks back from the highway. Heck I have killed moose right in the yard. One with my bow and one with the rifle. The area where I live was burned in 1970 and came back to mostly birch. You'll see critters at your place if it's not too congested. Homes here are fairly spread out. I have 6 acres. My family owns more also in the area. Otherwise there would be a house on every acre.
          Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

If I was "Newly" moving to Alaska and looking for a location........one of the very first things would be to identify locations with "Federal Subsistence Rights". If after visiting many locations and dialing the list down to two or three that seemed fairly close I would give high priority to "Federal Subsistence Rights".

Like it or "Loath it" the direction is clear as to who (little by little) will have better access to fish an game harvesting over the next hundreds of years.
            Living is a super small "pocket" that has a population of nine humans, and that is completely surrounded Federal National Forest will have ever increasing value in the future.
            "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post
              I have moose, bears, coyotes, and all manner of smaller critters visit my yard. I'm 18 miles out of Kenai and 2 blocks back from the highway. Heck I have killed moose right in the yard. One with my bow and one with the rifle. The area where I live was burned in 1970 and came back to mostly birch. You'll see critters at your place if it's not too congested. Homes here are fairly spread out. I have 6 acres. My family owns more also in the area. Otherwise there would be a house on every acre.

is your area reachable by car, and if so could you gie me the name, as maybe it is something we can add to our route?

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
                If I was "Newly" moving to Alaska and looking for a location........one of the very first things would be to identify locations with "Federal Subsistence Rights". If after visiting many locations and dialing the list down to two or three that seemed fairly close I would give high priority to "Federal Subsistence Rights".

Like it or "Loath it" the direction is clear as to who (little by little) will have better access to fish an game harvesting over the next hundreds of years.
                Living is a super small "pocket" that has a population of nine humans, and that is completely surrounded Federal National Forest will have ever increasing value in the future.

Thanks so much for that advice, very helpful.

Comment

Have you purchased "The Milepost" yet? If not you are missing out on a lot of good information.
                  https://www.amazon.com/MILEPOST-2019...s%2C258&sr=8-3
                  Or pre-order the 2020 edition that will be available in March.
                  When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
                  '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"
                  2018 12' Moto Jet "River Pup"

Comment

Originally posted by Music Man View Post
                    Have you purchased "The Milepost" yet? If not you are missing out on a lot of good information.
                    https://www.amazon.com/MILEPOST-2019...s%2C258&sr=8-3
                    Or pre-order the 2020 edition that will be available in March.

Will definitely be getting it, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by flopitdown View Post
                      is your area reachable by car,
                      Yes, like he said he's only a couple blocks off the hiway.
                      and if so could you gie me the name, as maybe it is something we can add to our route?
                      If you go far enough north out of Kenai, you get into what is called Nikiski. He's somewhere in that area.
                      Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
                        If you go far enough north out of Kenai, you get into what is called Nikiski. He's somewhere in that area.
                        There are a lot Wolves in that area and east through the Daniels Lake Country and clear cross the whole south shore of Turnagain Arm. Lot of huge Brown Bears also.
                        "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

is your area reachable by car, and if so could you gie me the name, as maybe it is something we can add to our route?
                          Nikiski. Boulder Point area.

Comment

A few comments on Brian's excellent response below in red.

Originally posted by Brian M View Post
                            A few responses to specific questions:

1 - Wolverine sightings are rare and unpredictable at best. I spend more time outdoors than most (though not as much as some on here), and I've seen two in 40 years of living here. Don't base where you want to live on the hopes of a wolverine sighting. They're amazing critters, but even in the highest density areas, seeing one can't be counted on. At all. Especially near one's home. If you want to see a wolverine, spend a lot of time in the mountains.

Some one just recorded one on their security camera in their driveway a couple blocks from my house in Anchorage. Apparently it also attacked a neighbors cat.

2 - There are no towns on the road system where caribou migrate right through town with the possible exception of Paxson - though, it's a stretch to call Paxson a town. There are caribou in the mountains east of Healy, but there aren't caribou that pass through Healy itself, and the caribou in those mountains to the east don't herd up and migrate in a manner similar to what you might see in a nature documentary. You will never see caribou in Healy itself - much like wolverine, in that area you'll need to cover some ground and climb some mountains to see caribou.

I've seen them just outside of Kenai while driving down the highway.

3 - Bison live in very few, very small areas. On the road system, the only bison are in the Delta Junction area. There are also small bison herds east of McCarthy, along the Iditarod trail between Rohn and Nikolai (commonly referred to as the Farewell area), on the east bank of the Copper River, and now there is a new herd along the Innoko River. The short version is that the only place you'd see bison is if you lived in Delta Junction or the immediate surrounding areas.

Drive down to the launch facility from Kodiak and there is a fair chance you might hit one.

4 - Wolves are where they are. Their populations fluctuate pretty wildly. In general, if you want to live where you might see a wolf, go as remote as possible. There are exceptions, though. I live in Eagle River, and about five years ago there were regular wolf sightings on the edge of town. In the past few years, though? Zero that I'm aware of. As with wolverines, if you want to see wolves, spent a lot of time in wild places away from any town. A LOT.

5 - Zero caribou in Valdez or Girdwood. It's not due to the snow - there just aren't any herds in those areas. Zero.

6 - Yes, a simple cabin 25-40 minutes out of town is realistic in many places in Alaska, especially Fairbanks. Fairbanks/North Pole is the king of dry cabins, but such a situation can be found outside many towns. Just get rid of the idea of seeing caribou, wolves, and wolverine traipsing through your lot.

8 - I haven't lived in Healy, so take my perspective for what it's worth. In Healy you'd have good access to much of what you're looking for, but none of it right by your house. You would see moose in town, and that's about it. For caribou and the rest you'd be traveling into the park like the rest of the tourists, and in my perspective that kind of defeats the purpose. The first places that came to my mind in reading your post are Cantwell, Delta Junction, and Tok. None of those fit the bill perfectly either, but each offers a bit more that Healy based on your list.

Ultimately, you need to understand that two of the three things you listed as priorities at the end simply won't be passing through your yard - wolves and caribou. For those, you'll need to spend serious time traveling, watching, and listening. You could choose to live truly remote and have caribou pass by a couple times per year, but it sounds like you also want access to groceries (and I don't blame you for that!). Again, Alaska is pretty dang awesome, but even for those of us who live here and know the land well, sightings of wolves and wolverine are very rare and caribou herds are largely far from the road or in places where grocery stores don't exist. You can see all of it, but not in your yard.

Good luck with the search!

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
                              Yes, like he said he's only a couple blocks off the hiway.[LEFT][COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]
                              When you get close, you'll be hearing banjo music.

Comment

Others have said most of what should be said, but I can't resist chiming in:

- The OP mentioned that he works from home...so presumably ending up in a spot with good internet will be important. Probably not hard to find, but should be something to research when picking a spot.

- I've got a cabin out in the woods, surrounded by various areas named "Wolverine _____" (creek lake mountain, etc). In 50 + years of being at the cabin (on a recreational ++ basis) , I've had several (probably 15 - 20) wolverine sightings. FWIW, I've seen 3 in the past 3 years on the Los Anchorage Hillside. Wolverines are in quite a few areas, but they're not necessarily common to see.

- Wolves are where they are...have seen either a wolf or a group of wolves at the cabin probably 10 times...and eight of those times it was when I was way out, hunkered down, looking for wolf, colder than the proverbial...to see wolves I believe one has to work at it, or spend LOTS of time way OUT

- The more "remote" you are from the "city", the more you'll need to be self-sufficient in your living skills: carpentry, painting, roofing, auto repair / maintenance, etc. I don't believe this should be underestimated.

- When I decide to mail a package from my Los Anchorage Hillside house, it's a bit of a PITA in what passes for winter in Anchorage: start the truck, let it warm up for a bit (the garage is occupied by the wife's car), throw on the jacket, drive 15 minutes to the nearest Post Office that takes packages, return. Multiply that by 10 if you have to do the same thing in a place at the far extent of the road system....not a barrier, perhaps part of the allure, but a lot of daily living stuff tends to take more time when one is located on the edges of the road system. That same 30 minute round trip can be used for groceries.....if living on the edge of the road system, think hours or days, not minutes, for the grocery trip. Not a problem, easy to plan for, but should be factored into the site selection process.

- Similarly, if the wife and I want a nice dinner in downtown Los Anchorage, the 45 minutes that we plan ahead would turn into a couple hours for a Healy-Fbks dash, or a Sunrise - Los Anchorage dash, etc.

Lots of folks come up to Alaska with many ideas (often much wackier ideas than the OP's) and find out that reality is different than even a thorough and logical analysis of "what if".

If the OP's skills are indeed portable, I'd suggest taking the 2-month drive (with all the cautions and adjustments suggested by prior posters) AND then rent a place for a couple of years to see how it plays out.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X