Retiring to a simple life in Alaska?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    I was taking out 2 1/2" diameter spruce on my property at Grey Cliff. The forest out there is very mature. Beetles have hit it all now though.
    You should let those two and a half inch saplings grow up to be real trees!
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine! :whistle:
    WWG1WGA! QANON

Comment

The Toghotthele corporation in Nenana has a timber and house logs operation. That would be a reasonable source for logs if you end up in the Fairbanks area.

http://togcorp.net/tog-timbers-llc.html

Comment

Originally posted by ChugiakTinkerer View Post
        The Toghotthele corporation in Nenana has a timber and house logs operation. That would be a reasonable source for logs if you end up in the Fairbanks area.

http://togcorp.net/tog-timbers-llc.html
        Thanks, I checked out their website. The prices look reasonable, and they show some 24" logs on their site.

Comment

mg4570;...... I've been following your Post, seems as though you've got your head screwed on right,,,,,, looking at all angles, thats a GOOD thing, but might I suggest that when you get a chance, GOOGLE -[Remote Properties Alaska]-, you may just find what you are looking for, with all the Heavy Lifting already done,,,,, and if you do, don't be afraid to make an "Offer", lower than the asking Price of course,,,, anyway, just a thought.
          Best of Luck to Yea......
          TG:topjob:
          and yea,,,,, a Truck and Camper for a year or 2,,,,, checking areas out, thats a SMART thing to do, you'll get the lay of the land so to speak, and again, never know what you might Stumble on too.
          [ USMC 1st Marine Div. 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi ] :topjob:

Comment

Originally posted by The German View Post
            mg4570;...... I've been following your Post, seems as though you've got your head screwed on right,,,,,, looking at all angles, thats a GOOD thing, but might I suggest that when you get a chance, GOOGLE -[Remote Properties Alaska]-, you may just find what you are looking for, with all the Heavy Lifting already done,,,,, and if you do, don't be afraid to make an "Offer", lower than the asking Price of course,,,, anyway, just a thought.
            Best of Luck to Yea......
            and yea,,,,, a Truck and Camper for a year or 2,,,,, checking areas out, thats a SMART thing to do, you'll get the lay of the land so to speak, and again, never know what you might Stumble on too.
            Thanks for the kind words and for the suggestion! I checked out that site. Wow, some properties were very reasonably-priced, checked all the boxes, and even had electricity and broadband internet available. It seems there will be plenty for me to check out once I get to Alaska, both in terms of things to see and in terms of properties. Really appreciate all the kind suggestions here.

Comment

Check out Craiglist also for properties advertised by the owner.
              Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

late getting into this thread.
                I retired recently to the outskirts of Fairbanks. Fortunately my son and family live here on land. My original plan was to buy or build my own, but now instead building a 2 car garage for my son with a "apartment" above for me. Views are nice, and I have a nice view to the North from my "home"
                When I thought about moving here, my son suggested I come check in winter first. So I came up in January, spent a few weeks, got home to Oregon, retired and have been back since May. Yes looking at the internet you would think Fairbanks is a big city, it is not
                Yes Fairbanks gets cold and I saw days below -30, but if you stay busy and don't just sit inside, your ok. Fairbanks in spring has giant mosquitoes that are big enough for landing lights and tail numbers. I have seen small dry cabins on land go for under 80k often. Just down the road a unfinished place ( septic, water, electric and monoslab) on land with a view went for under 100k. Another unfinished place, regular foundation and they got only as far as floor joists before they quit, went up for sale had utilities in. Some good places are word of mouth. My son found his place word of mouth. ( 3bedroom log cabin on land) I have met several that have sold and bought places with no advertising, if its a good one and you know people, they just get passed around it seems. Zillow is another good source. Some people just cant make it here, so when summer ends all kind of stuff, including homes, go cheap. renting small cabins is cheap in winter.
                ....water is a tricky one around here. If you get out of the valley , like us, and up in the hills, wells are non exsistant, nearly everyone has a water holding tank and gets water delivered or goes and gets it them selves. It is the only thing I don't like, having to rely on someone else to supply something as needed as water.
                Building up here can be crazy expensive. Not so much the materials but sub contractors, and they are picky on what they will do and have limited season to do it. ( and limited time to make their money). You really need to plan ahead on that,,finding and booking sub contractors, luckily my son knew some already and they would "squeeze" us in if we were flexible.( because we started planning late)
                My oldest son lives in Seward half year, he thinks I would be happier there, milder seasons, he has land as well, but subs are high their as well ( he plans to live their full time after his last gets out of highschool in Oregon) If he was already living there full time it would have been a toss up on where to go, but his land has no buildings yet, just road, and electric for his camper in summer. At this age in my life I want to be somewhat near family. Seward is lovely, that entire area is.
                Im gonna have to rely on fishing and hunting to keep freezers full. ( matter fo fact we are going to the valdez this weekend) I don't have the retirement income you have, most of my life self employed and not putting money away or claiming much.( dumb now that I look back) Will prob have to chase down a part time job for a few years. However I do have medicare, a supplemental and a small social security
                You mentioned other places like Idaho and Oregon. You can find some good outback places in them as well as montanna and Washington. I lived in a dry cabin for my last 6 months in Oregon. Propane heat, generator power, drinkable water a few hundred yards away. Deep in snow country at high elevation, 7 miles to cell phone 20+ to gas and a minimart so Im kind of used to the idea of being remote. However hunting and fishing in many of those parts are getting slim, esp compared to here . So far we have a freezer stocked with salmon, half of halibut, and my son still has some moose and caribou left from last season. I have had bear and beaver with neighbors
                4wd vehicle is a must. ( I brought mine up form Oregon),
                Building, log cabins are nice, but whatever you do, insulate the crap out of it and use the references that others have listed for specifications. You will find tons of helpful people on this forum, some have already chimed in above. The sub- forum on building is a big help with real helpful and knowledgable folks.

Best of luck to you

Comment

I'm back from Afghanistan, thank God! Truck and camper are purchased, and I've been living in them for a month now. I just drove from New Hampshire to North Carolina, headed to Georgia tomorrow to visit a cousin for deer rifle season. I'll start heading West in November or December to spend the winter in the desert Southwest. Come spring 2020, I'll hopefully be on my way up to Alaska. Truck is a 2007 F350 6.0 diesel 4x4 running 295/70R18 Nitto Terra Grappler G2 tires. We put $10k into the truck "bulletproofing" it: new O-ringed heads and studs, new cooling system, gauges, EGR delete, etc.

Comment

"I'm back from Afghanistan, thank God!"

Thank God is right, and we thank you for your service!!!

Very nice! Looks like you're on you're well on your way to making your dreams come true. Good luck! :topjob:
                    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Mg4570, great looking rig. I had a truck camper and really liked it. Yours is a bigger and better set up than the one I had. Very nice. Is that a 250 or 350? 10' camper? Have a great time getting to Alaska, a dream for a lot of us.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mg4570 View Post
                        I'm back from Afghanistan, thank God! Truck and camper are purchased, and I've been living in them for a month now. I just drove from New Hampshire to North Carolina, headed to Georgia tomorrow to visit a cousin for deer rifle season. I'll start heading West in November or December to spend the winter in the desert Southwest. Come spring 2020, I'll hopefully be on my way up to Alaska. Truck is a 2007 F350 6.0 diesel 4x4 running 295/70R18 Nitto Terra Grappler G2 tires. We put $10k into the truck "bulletproofing" it: new O-ringed heads and studs, new cooling system, gauges, EGR delete, etc.

Well,,,,, way to go, Dam Nice Set-up for sure, and this will let you get around pretty easy, and know if Alaska is where you want to be, and if so, it won't be hard to sell that Rig, if you choose too, that is.
                        best of Luck to Yea......
                        [ USMC 1st Marine Div. 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi ] :topjob:

Comment

Originally posted by markopolo50 View Post
                          Mg4570, great looking rig. I had a truck camper and really liked it. Yours is a bigger and better set up than the one I had. Very nice. Is that a 250 or 350? 10' camper? Have a great time getting to Alaska, a dream for a lot of us.

Mark
                          Many thanks, Mark! My truck is a 350, super cab, long bed. The camper is a Northstar 9.5 Igloo and is 9.5' long.

Comment

Originally posted by mg4570 View Post

Nice rig, the 6.0 gets a bad rap, not its fault the early iteration was rushed into production. Nice motors once studded and egr deleted. Pretty efficient, nice power, and I really like the high toned sound of a 6.0.

Comment

Nice rig and a great dream. I wish you the best of luck and hope you make your dream a reality. In addition to some of the other suggested searches for property, check out Alaska List. There are always one or two properties listed that should make you drool.

Comment

I have sold property on Craigs List. The last one was a cabin of 5 acres of bluff property overlooking Cook Inlet.
                                Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X