X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about kids activities in the area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As a new resident to Fairbanks ( Moved there in February) I can tell you that , yes it gets cold, ( -30), any city has crime, tons of activities for kids ( I have 3 grandkids there ranging from 3rd grade to 10th grade)

Comment

Another thing to consider is that we can get some pretty significant temperature inversions in the winter. If you get a place in the hills it can be a LOT warmer during cold snaps with a little elevation. If you like to heat with wood, there are restrictions to burning on some days in some areas. You might want to find a map of the "non-attainment" area. Water well drilling can be hit or miss also. You can spend big bucks to drill a deep well and get not so good (high iron, etc.) water. Many people, myself included, have a holding tank and haul water. We just have a moderate sized garden so it isn't that big of a deal. If you want a larger farm it could be a factor. Finding property with an existing well with good water would be a big plus.
        Louis Knapp

Comment

a lot of what is above is very true, my sons property, where I live now with them, is up in the hills, so the inversion is real and he will be often warmer than down in fairbanks and away from the "smog"
          yes many of his neighbors, including us have to have a water tank and water hauled in, runs about 9cents a gallon delivered, maybe in the flats you can have a well. YOu will also see a lot of people wiht water tanks in the back of thier pickups. It would be cheaper to get the water in town at a water station, but with a family of 6, 2 horses and other assorted animals, we use a lot so easier to get delivered. 1500 gallons at a time, but we might jump up to a 2500 gallon tank as one week the water hauler could not get up our hill ( to neighbors either) and we ran out, not fun.
          seems a lot of people heat with fuel oil, we only have heat on that, boiler system. That gets deleivered too, however, we are gonna start hauling ourselves in 55 gallon drums and a pump, as the fuel guys charge 40 cents a gallon to deliver, and we have to go to town almost daily anyway
          cooking and hot water is electric, but I am used to being on propane and we are gonna explore that and the cost comparison, plus I like cooking with gas. I did not see many people with propane tanks at their homes, so maybe their is an issue with propane in Alaska...Fairbanks anyway

also as stated above , some food is more money, esp fast food and pizza. however Costco is the same price on most stuff as it is in Oregon, Walmart, fred meyer and safeway is pretty competitive to Oregon, but a bit higher...Organics is a lot higher. I have not lived in Fairbanks for a summer yet, my son says that there will be a few farmers markets that open in the summer, good organics and good prices. Gas is 15 cents higher in Alaska even being self serve, but diesel is cheaper.

Comment

I cant think of many places id rather live than fairbanks area. you can live as cheaply or expensively if you want. you can have all modern amenities; flush toilets, garage, heated shop - but its gonna cost you. you can also live dry cabin life super cheaply, but you gotta work more and tolerate a bit of discomfort. i don't have kids so can't tell you exactly, but my friends kids seem to be plenty busy, its a very family friendly town. The people here are generally great. Crime is only bad by fairbanks standards, which means not bad at all, but it has gotten a little worse. Mainly property theft.

It does get cold, which even people from other parts of Alaska seem to be scared off by, but I like it for the consistent snowpack and lack of icy storms in the middle of winter. I came from the south and had never had a real winter, and I'd say I've adapted pretty easily, and seen my share of -40 and colder. Its not a negligible issue, but its easy to adapt to as long as you're prepared to do so. People always talk about how great fairbanks summers are but personally I prefer winter.

Raising beef will definitely be a little more challenging than you're used to, but pigs and poultry no problem. For my garden I collect rainwater and that actually gets me pretty far, as I haul water in my pickup too. Hunting and fishing right in fairbanks is not anything to write home about, but the location gives you access to everything else. Its a regional hub, and you can get out in the swamps for moose, in the hills for bou, or the mountains for sheep pretty easily. Salmon is a 6 hour drive minimum. Speaking of which - a reliable vehicle is pretty important.

papabear - plenty of people use propane, but your propane will freeze at -55F. Thats how I calibrate my thermometers

As far as areas to live, I echo the reccomendations of chena hotsprings road or salcha areas. if you're planning to build or to stay long term - walk the property, in the summer, before you buy. The ground up here is pretty bad, lots of permafrost and subsidence issues.

Oh yea, mosquitoes can be brutal!!

Comment

oh no.....on usatoday.Fairbanks just listed as the worst city to live in the usa. 2nd highest murder rate in usa, super high on theft, poor high school graduation dates.
              Living here and fillowing the news I find it real hard to believe

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/parenting/2019/08/10/worst-cities-raise-children-family-education-crime/39929727/?fbclid=IwAR33qfMuVGeLAvDODUz2dTCnC8rbxa0TPmVH-k1JmV0toDrAqmgKEWQpa4o

Comment

https://www.usatoday.com/life/parenting/ Go to parenting, Worst cities. Starts at the last and works backwards to 1st, AKA Fairbanks.

I could not get your link to work so try this. I see Anchorage made 6th.(?)

Patriot Life Member NRA
                Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

We've lived in Fairbanks for 25 years, raised 6 kids here. BTW, all 6 kids graduated. We live in the hills outside town, have seen minus 55 in the winter (yes, in the hills) as well as high 90s in the summer. We lock the doors only because the wife (who works for the Department of Corrections and sees all the criminals) insists on it (and if Mamma ain't happy....). We've got a 210' deep well with the best water in Fairbanks. There are lots of good people here--and yes, some bad ones too (come to think of it, the absolute worst ones are the Subaru-driving Regressives from Commiefornia--did I say that out loud?). As far as fishing and hunting, think of it this way: in 7 hours one can be on the water in Valdez shrimping and fishing; in 4 hours, one can be on the Yukon fishing/hunting; in 12 hours, one can be on the north slope fishing and hunting caribou; bear hunting is available in less than an hour's drive or boat ride; bow hunting for moose is, well, available outside the front door. I caught my first King salmon years ago out of the Chena River on Fort Wainwright. As Greenmachine noted above, Fairbanks is basically a hub for anything you want to do recreationally. Most of the big box stores are here, there (so far) is no local sales tax, and most things you need are available locally. Quality medical care is available, Wainwright has a ski lodge, skating rink, gyms and indoor pools--frankly, there's not a lot about which to gripe. If you want trouble, you can find it if you look for it--there are bars and drugs available for those with a proclivity toward untoward activities--as in any other location. If you're good people, c'mon up!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X