Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fairbanks area

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fairbanks area

    Good evening everyone, I may have an opportunity to take a job in the Fairbanks area and Id like hear about the area, hunting, fishing and crime. Its not my ideal location as Id like to live near the coast but Im hoping that in time I could transfer. So, lets hear the good and the bad! Im from NE Ohio so snow and cold are common but I hear its colder in Fairbanks lol.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • #2
    I hunted up there in Sept. for 3 weeks. I could not believe the Fast Food prices. And it is CROWDED!

    Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans


    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
      I hunted up there in Sept. for 3 weeks. I could not believe the Fast Food prices. And it is CROWDED!
      I dont eat fast food luckily!
      My wife wont be able to transfer for at least a year so renting a house further away wouldnt be an issue. Any recommendations?


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

      Comment


      • #4
        Yes it can get way colder, and hang in there longer than us further south, but there can be some real beautiful summers up there. Doesn't seem to get the rain like we do down here. I remember taking my daughter up to start at UAF in the fall and it was 76 degrees at 11pm. Absolutely beautiful! The whole time we were there it was gorgeous.
        Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm about 25 miles east of town and the quality of life here is pretty exceptional, I think. That said, forget the "epic" anything you might have heard about Alaska, except maybe the epic cold. The fishing is great but it's pretty much grayling, burbot, and pike, we don't have towering mountains or moose behind every tree, but we do have great trails, a lot of space, and the natural world on our doorstep. There are moose and caribou but you'll work for them. Small game hunting is excellent (we've hit peak hare).
          Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by mlshore View Post
            I'm about 25 miles east of town and the quality of life here is pretty exceptional, I think. That said, forget the "epic" anything you might have heard about Alaska, except maybe the epic cold. The fishing is great but it's pretty much grayling, burbot, and pike, we don't have towering mountains or moose behind every tree, but we do have great trails, a lot of space, and the natural world on our doorstep. There are moose and caribou but you'll work for them. Small game hunting is excellent (we've hit peak hare).
            Im not afraid of working for a moose or caribou, and I really enjoy small game hunting. I love being in the outdoors and I want my kids to be enjoy the outdoors.


            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by rooster85 View Post
              Im not afraid of working for a moose or caribou, and I really enjoy small game hunting. I love being in the outdoors and I want my kids to be enjoy the outdoors.
              That's basically all you need, aside from warm boots. I'll add that I think this is a terrific place for kids to develop great outdoors skills.
              Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

              Comment


              • #8
                We've been in Fairbanks for about 21 years now. I like it. From what I've seen its one of the better locations in the state for being able to find a reasonably priced house on a few acres of woods within 15 or 20 minutes of town. We live in the Cripple Creek neighborhood on the SW side of Fairbanks.
                Louis Knapp

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Louis View Post
                  We've been in Fairbanks for about 21 years now. I like it. From what I've seen its one of the better locations in the state for being able to find a reasonably priced house on a few acres of woods within 15 or 20 minutes of town. We live in the Cripple Creek neighborhood on the SW side of Fairbanks.
                  Hows the crime? My cousin lives in anchorage and tells me about the crime there.
                  Also, how long is it dark for during winter?


                  Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by rooster85 View Post
                    Hows the crime? My cousin lives in anchorage and tells me about the crime there.
                    Also, how long is it dark for during winter?


                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    The crime isn't remotely as bad as LosAnchorage, but it's definitely not nonexistent and it's worse than it used to be. Thieving seems to be the primary pastime of lots of people.

                    At winter solstice we get down to a little less than 4 hours of direct sunlight, and the sun's low on the horizon.
                    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Be careful which part of near the coast you transfer to eventually. If our new Governor has his way, youll have to swim for it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Im not a city guy, can someone recommend an area outside Fairbanks to look at? We raise hogs, beef, assorted poultry and garden here and wed like to continue wherever we may land.


                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by rooster85 View Post
                          Im not a city guy, can someone recommend an area outside Fairbanks to look at? We raise hogs, beef, assorted poultry and garden here and wed like to continue wherever we may land.


                          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          How far "outside Fairbanks" do you want to be? Where /what is your job?
                          ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                          I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                          The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
                            How far "outside Fairbanks" do you want to be? Where /what is your job?
                            Ft Wainwright


                            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              You might look at land out Chena Hotsprings Road, or out toward Salcha.
                              ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                              I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                              The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X