Driving with firearms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving with firearms

I apologize if this has been covered but is there a max number of firearms that I can drive through Canada with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think there is a maximum number, but as I understand you have to have a form for each firearm and there is a fee per firearm. Some weapons are not allowed at all into Canada.

Here's a link to their website.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/iefw-iefa-eng.html

You should also read up on importing firearms back into the US...

http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-.../#.VSQZIhj3arU
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

Comment

Thanks, I looked into it more and it's $25 per firearm. So, I'd either have to eat that cost because I have more than I'd like to ship or sell some which I won't be doing either. I already have to pay to ship my handguns, ARs and AKs. OR take the ferry which does not sound fun either.

Comment

I am going through this right now also. Good advice here but call the Chief Firearms Office for the area you plan to enter Canada, very helpful and I have email now that I asked several questions. Longest time to respond was half day. They sent me all the required forms and info. Very helpful.

First you have to submit Authorization to Transport with all firearms to the CFO at least 10 days prior to you entering Canada. They will use the info you sent to research and either approve or deny each firearm. Each firearm will have a number to transport. Every firearm I have to included ARs and handguns are sold by Cabelas in Canada as restricted. Not the same manufacture but 16" ARs & handguns, the difference is Canada is 5 round mags. 1 gun is definitely prohibited so I did not include it on the ATT and 2 I waiting to know if they are restricted or prohibited. CFO told me no prohibited firearms will enter Canada. The ATT form asked for how many shots for each gun and I was told to list exactly how each firearm was sold for their research. I used the manufacturer website for the info on the form. Since I am mailing all magazines to myself in Alaska, CFO told me to state that on the ATT form, so I did. You have 7 days to enter and exit Canada with ATT so make sure you know exact dates. This was our hardest thing yet to predict when we will arrive at the border, we gave ouself 1 day lee way. You will not be allowed to enter Canada early and if you arrive late, subtract those days from the 7. The ATT is only good for 7 days but you get to pick those days. Cannot be changed. You have to enter and exit at the locations you put on the form. The ATT is auto fill but will not save. Fill out all red boxes.

Once the ATT comes back list all approved firearms with their ATT number on the 5589 and the 5590 continuation form. Fill them out in triplicate but do not sign, they have to be signed at the border and witnessed. One form you keep, one goes with the border and the other back to the CFO.

There is not enough room on the forms for the amount of firearms I am requesting so CFO said just keep using the same form but include all info on each form.

Firearms have to transported in inoperative condition. Bolts removed and stored not with the guns, all guns have a trigger lock. Stored out of sight and try to lock them in the trunk of your car. I am using a big plastic container I can lock. Gun safe last thing on the Uhaul, guns in container in the back also.

RMCP at the border have final say in allowing you and the firearms into Canada even with an approved ATT.

Its quite easy and CFO very helpful but I still have reservations for the border crossing.

It would cost me a whole lot more to ship than take them with me unless they take them at the border. So, I am as truthful and honest with the CFO as I can be.

Make a list of questions before calling the CFO. You can still call them back but I found email much faster than being on hold.

Comment

Originally posted by 45.308 View Post
          I am going through this right now also. Good advice here but call the Chief Firearms Office for the area you plan to enter Canada, very helpful and I have email now that I asked several questions. Longest time to respond was half day. They sent me all the required forms and info. Very helpful.

First you have to submit Authorization to Transport with all firearms to the CFO at least 10 days prior to you entering Canada. They will use the info you sent to research and either approve or deny each firearm. Each firearm will have a number to transport. Every firearm I have to included ARs and handguns are sold by Cabelas in Canada as restricted. Not the same manufacture but 16" ARs & handguns, the difference is Canada is 5 round mags. 1 gun is definitely prohibited so I did not include it on the ATT and 2 I waiting to know if they are restricted or prohibited. CFO told me no prohibited firearms will enter Canada. The ATT form asked for how many shots for each gun and I was told to list exactly how each firearm was sold for their research. I used the manufacturer website for the info on the form. Since I am mailing all magazines to myself in Alaska, CFO told me to state that on the ATT form, so I did. You have 7 days to enter and exit Canada with ATT so make sure you know exact dates. This was our hardest thing yet to predict when we will arrive at the border, we gave ouself 1 day lee way. You will not be allowed to enter Canada early and if you arrive late, subtract those days from the 7. The ATT is only good for 7 days but you get to pick those days. Cannot be changed. You have to enter and exit at the locations you put on the form. The ATT is auto fill but will not save. Fill out all red boxes.

Once the ATT comes back list all approved firearms with their ATT number on the 5589 and the 5590 continuation form. Fill them out in triplicate but do not sign, they have to be signed at the border and witnessed. One form you keep, one goes with the border and the other back to the CFO.

There is not enough room on the forms for the amount of firearms I am requesting so CFO said just keep using the same form but include all info on each form.

Firearms have to transported in inoperative condition. Bolts removed and stored not with the guns, all guns have a trigger lock. Stored out of sight and try to lock them in the trunk of your car. I am using a big plastic container I can lock. Gun safe last thing on the Uhaul, guns in container in the back also.

RMCP at the border have final say in allowing you and the firearms into Canada even with an approved ATT.

Its quite easy and CFO very helpful but I still have reservations for the border crossing.

It would cost me a whole lot more to ship than take them with me unless they take them at the border. So, I am as truthful and honest with the CFO as I can be.

Make a list of questions before calling the CFO. You can still call them back but I found email much faster than being on hold.
          Fantastic. Thank you and good luck! Keep me posted.

Comment

Take the ferry

Comment

Two years ago I filled out the form before I got there and handed it to them. I was asked to come inside which I did. I had two firearms listed on the form (10/22 and a H&R single shot.) Border guard checked the paperwork, I gave him $25 and that was it. When I returned, I had left the H&R at my sons. So I crossed off that rifle and that was what I handed to the guard. Can't remember if I paid the $25 again or not. Pretty simple.

Patriot Life Member NRA
              Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
              Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by Chez View Post
                Take the ferry
                The ferry adds time and expense to the trip that I'd rather not.

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
                  Can't remember if I paid the $25 again or not.
                  You did not. You only have to pay once, and the form is valid for 60 days.
                  ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                  I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                  The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

I just received back my approved ATT. It took approx 7 days. I called to confirm if the CFO received my ATT and was told they are processed by priority / date for transit and I will receive my ATT approx 1 week before my scheduled date to enter Canada. They tried to call me about one of my guns but the number came up as blocked secured number so I did not answer it, thought it was a telemarketer or something if this helps anyone to answer a call. The reason was one of my guns (AR) on the ATT will not be allowed entry into Canada. I had 2 I thought could be. All others received approval on the ATT to include several ARs and semilar, several handguns, several shotguns, all are semi auto, full capacity guns in the US. Listed on my ATT it states I will be shipping all magazines that I will next week. The form states in 2 places it is valid for only 7 days of which are my choice and the port entry and exit from Canada that I must use. With the ATT came extra pages of rules to read careful.

List those approved guns on the 5589 and 5590 with the ATT approval for each gun in triplicate, do not sign it, and present those at the border to the RMCP at the border. This form is good for 60 days.

My ARs and similar guns will be locked in my safe with cheap gun case, locked in back of the Uhaul. The other guns will be stored not sure yet, that is one of the questions I have what does out of sight, cant be opened easily, limited access, to me the Uhaul locked up should meet that rule.

Canada CFO has been extremely polite and helpful. Its quite easy and yes it can be done.

Next adventure is crossing the border that I have never had any issues but with AK plates on the rig. Not this time.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X