A place to build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    You could start with the 5 acres on the bluff over looking Cook Inlet my brother has. 16x26 finished cabin with furniture. Outhouse. You pound the well or get water from the creek and rain gutters. I'll keep an eye out for your hatchet.
    If you're being serious I'd like to know more.

Comment

I woke up alive again today. It's all downhill from here. As the Keurig was filling my first thermos of coffee, I stepped to the door and opened it to great the day. Rain was falling rather heavily, drowning out the interstate traffic echoing off the empty run-down mobile home stationed a mere fifteen yards away. The dogs and cats were all hunkered down, and it was peaceful. I like the sound of rain. There was a Cardinal sitting on a wire, horny, calling out for a mate. Maggie Mae was there waiting patiently for me. She'll take me to my destination in a few hours, dodging in and out of the cars that don't have a clue how to get from here to there in a timely, organized manner.

"Today I do what must be done. I give my time to total strangers". Billy Joel. For the most part, I've been in the same line of work for the better part of 50 years. I even had the opportunity to do so in Wasilla for a very short ten months. (August thru May, 2008) I fell in love with Alaska. As I stepped onto the DC-10 (I think it was) and took my seat with a tear in my eye, I swore I would find a way to get back.

It's been ten years. I worked and worked and saved my pennies. I lived in near squalor so I could save more. I'll work and save more for another few years, because I have to get back to Alaska. I NEED to get back to Alaska, and the time is drawing near. I can see the light, dim as it may be. Y'all are being a great help to me, and I appreciate it more than I can say! I look forward to more comments and conversing with the friends I have yet to meet.

"It kilt the bar that kilt me". Hatchet Jack. roud:

Comment

ok Bill- everybody here has an idea of your vision.....it's not exactly an uncommon one. The only question that matters is: how much money do you have in the bank? How much capital can you realize? What's your fixed income going to be after retirement? Nobody here can give you any honest advice without knowing your budget.
        " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Comment

Originally posted by William42 View Post
          I just want a place to retire that I don't have to pay anybody anything. I don't want any bills. Simple as that.
          I want a well with drinkable water. I'll pound it in. I'll heat with wood. I'll hunt if I need to. I'll go to town for groceries and grow my own. I'll eat tree bark if I have to. Is tree bark tasty?

I just want a porch to sit on and watch the sun and moon all day long. I'll walk because I want to. I'll work the land and property to survive. I'll carry boards in one by one and by hand if I have to. I want to spend the rest of my meaningless days on this earth working for me. I want a simple life away from the rat race face passed pushing and shoving life of the world. I want to retire in the gentle quietness of 50-below and inhale its crisp air once again. I want to sit my warn ass on a cold outhouse seat to poop like I did in my youth on those fun-filled beer-drinking weekends with friends in the northern woods of Wisconsin.

I've had enough of dogs constantly barking at all hours of the day and night, and cats going through the neighbors garbage that he carelessly leaves on the ground. I want a bear and/or moose to scare the hell out of me one day. Maybe twice. I want to fight the sons********es with just a hatchet just to see who wins.

I want to show up in Alaska with Maggie Mae (Mazda MX-5) and the clothes on my back and go from there. I'll buy an old beat up Jeep and 4-wheeler from somewhere, find the nearest Home Depot and get to work on the next chapter of my life. If anyone finds my hatchet, that means the bear won. If he ends up on my laying flat on my cabin floor, stop on by, I'll feed ya. roud:

No matter where I end up, it's not going to be as bad as where I'm at now. If I want a view, I'll go climb a mountain.
          First of all find out what areas of the state are unincorporated so you don't have to pay property tax, hint most of the state has property taxes and the areas that don't typically are difficult to get to.

Next, if you have $100,000 that should cover you for land, building materials and tools. If you're far short of that, the cold hard truth is your dream will turn into a nightmare and however bad you have it now, it will be worse in Alaska. I'd venture to say that the majority of people that have the dream of moving to Alaska to become self sufficient without the financial means, quickly turn to government assistance.

Not all parts of the state have good drinking water, not all parts are suitable to pounding in a well. Heating with wood is romantic, but hard work and not all parts of the state have large stands of timber that you can cut to fuel your cabin.

Lastly, if Alaskan reality TV shows are giving you a notion of what it's like to live out in the woods, you have developed some misguided notions.
          Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

How much yearly income will you have once you stop working? It takes a lot of money to live cheap in Alaska bush!! Are you going to have electricity? Kind of hard to store much meat/fish without a freezer. Seems everybody has a dog up here so if you escaping the barking is very hard!!! Lots of quiet places with road access if you take your time to look. Get a pickup, slide in camper, and tandem axle flatbed trailer to haul supplies. Spend a year checking out all of the state!! Alaska reality shows have little reality in them!! Trucks, jeeps, 4 wheelers cost a lot more up here. So buy the truck before you come up. Jeep won't do much for you in the long run. For homestead work a small tractor is much better than 4 wheeler. Better yet spend that last few years working up here building contacts and getting to know Alaska better. Everything in alaska costs money and usually lots of it.
            DENNY

Comment

I just want a place to retire that I don't have to pay anybody anything. I don't want any bills. Simple as that.
              I want a well with drinkable water. I'll pound it in. I'll heat with wood. I'll hunt if I need to. I'll go to town for groceries and grow my own. I'll eat tree bark if I have to. Is tree bark tasty?

I just want a porch to sit on and watch the sun and moon all day long. I'll walk because I want to. I'll work the land and property to survive. I'll carry boards in one by one and by hand if I have to. I want to spend the rest of my meaningless days on this earth working for me. I want a simple life away from the rat race face passed pushing and shoving life of the world. I want to retire in the gentle quietness of 50-below and inhale its crisp air once again. I want to sit my warn ass on a cold outhouse seat to poop like I did in my youth on those fun-filled beer-drinking weekends with friends in the northern woods of Wisconsin.

I've had enough of dogs constantly barking at all hours of the day and night, and cats going through the neighbors garbage that he carelessly leaves on the ground. I want a bear and/or moose to scare the hell out of me one day. Maybe twice. I want to fight the sons********es with just a hatchet just to see who wins.

I want to show up in Alaska with Maggie Mae (Mazda MX-5) and the clothes on my back and go from there. I'll buy an old beat up Jeep and 4-wheeler from somewhere, find the nearest Home Depot and get to work on the next chapter of my life. If anyone finds my hatchet, that means the bear won. If he ends up on my laying flat on my cabin floor, stop on by, I'll feed ya. roud:

No matter where I end up, it's not going to be as bad as where I'm at now. If I want a view, I'll go climb a mountain.
              A fella named Chris McCandless ventured into the Healy area with the same thought process and wants. Read up on how that turned out for him. Put a little money aside for the return journey south.
              The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGAKSTUFF View Post
                A fella named Chris McCandless ventured into the Healy area with the same thought process and wants. Read up on how that turned out for him. Put a little money aside for the return journey south.
                Quite different. McCandless had no plan, hadn't worked for anything he had, hadn't previously spent time in Alaska, didn't seek or take advice, etc. This man has clearly worked hard for what he has, has spent at least some time in Alaska, and is actively seeking out advice from those with more experience (and seems to be listening). Totally different.

While we've seen countless people on these pages over the years with big plans of coming up to live off the land with no clue as to what they're getting into and no willingness to those offering advice, that's not what I'm seeing here.

Comment

Oh he's serious all right. And from the sounds of it, and from what I know about it, it could be pretty close to what you're looking for. Send him a pm...
                  Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

With due regard for what Brian highlighted, I'd suggest to the OP that he read and re-read PaulH's and Boneguy's posts.

FWIW, not that I've done it, but I'd guess that the estimate of $100K to get started (land, tools, etc) is a bit low....and while admitting that it might be possible, the "pay no one anything" idea is Utopia, very unlikely and in the end you'll pay someone (a transport pilot perhaps) in lieu of the taxing authorities in any case.

Continue to think long and hard about this: that's not language for "don't do it", just really think it through. And don't give any degree of credibility / reliance to the Alaska reality shows.

Comment

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
                      You gonna pound a well from on top of a bluff? Can I watch?
                      Other people have.
                      Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

I have it listed on CL.
                        Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Originally posted by pa12drvr View Post
                          With due regard for what Brian highlighted, I'd suggest to the OP that he read and re-read PaulH's and Boneguy's posts.

FWIW, not that I've done it, but I'd guess that the estimate of $100K to get started (land, tools, etc) is a bit low....and while admitting that it might be possible, the "pay no one anything" idea is Utopia, very unlikely and in the end you'll pay someone (a transport pilot perhaps) in lieu of the taxing authorities in any case.

Continue to think long and hard about this: that's not language for "don't do it", just really think it through. And don't give any degree of credibility / reliance to the Alaska reality shows.
                          I should have said $100k as a minimum. Figure $30k for land, $40k for building materials and $30k for tools/transportation. If the location isn't too remote it could be reasonably done.

Honestly the approach I'd take would be to get road accessible land, pull up a 5th wheel and park it on the land to live out of while building your cabin. Tow your boat to go fishing as you please.

Why people seem set on interior Alaska always baffles me. I'd go to Southeast in a heart beat to have a little piece of water front property for the get away and live the life dream. Great fishing, big timber, shorter winters...
                          Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

$100k is for that comfortable dream in the woods with low risk.

It's also easy to drive up, get an apartment, find a job, figure out what you want and what you can achieve, grind away, and make the dream happen. Earn it down there or up here. No wrong answers.

I remember the first guy I knew that did the wall tent thing....year 'round. Had no idea as I was sitting in his nice shop. Made me realize that crappy apartment could have been a lot crappier!

Comment

Another option to the RV or trailer parked on site is to set up a temporary structure, such as a Weatherport or a portable building from Alaska Tent & tarp. New ones are pricey but a used one on CL may be had for significantly less. This one is "insulated" and was under $2k for the structure, and cost me about $500 in materials for the 12x20 platform.

When the cabin gets built you have a ready-made workshop, sauna, whatever that is also a backup shelter.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X