Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to purchase land in Alaska for recreation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in SW Arkansas this is slightly modified:

Scrub Pine.
    Stock pond view.
    Double-Wide on concrete blocks.
    Train goes by so often you won't notice.
    5 minutes from Piggly Wiggly.
    200 foot long chicken house operation.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Comment

A few more........

Ice worn area

Roaring Tundra Toad area

White socks and mosquito area

F-16 flight departure path zone

Private Native Corp. Land No Hunting

Former WW-II military toxic waste disposal area

Former Atomic Bomb test area

AlaskaHippie Area

Originally posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
      Some keywords you will want to look for, and then avoid any land containing them.

Black Spruce.
      Swamp View.
      Trailer on site.
      Bluff overlooks river.
      10 minutes from Fred Meyer/Walmart/Carrs.
      Great rental property.

Best of luck to you....
      "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

Well, that last one covers a purty wide swath....
        “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
        "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post
          I have land in Grey Cliff on the edge of the Refuge that I consider remote. It's 5 miles from the end of the Spur Hwy. Has cabins. You ain't getting there in the family mini van.
          Yes, but can you drive your 4x4 highway vehicle to it like he is asking, or do you have to get to it via your atv?
          Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
            Yes, but can you drive your 4x4 highway vehicle to it like he is asking, or do you have to get to it via your atv?
            In the winter, I can drive right up to the door by traveling down the pipeline in my pickup. I hauled firewood from there all winter last year. In the summer, I can drive my pickup down the beach and hike in a short distance, or park at Captain Cook and ride the atv all the way to the cabin. The one we have for sale is right next to Leif Creek and Jacobs Ladder. I have a cabin about a half mile from the beach on the crest of a hill just off the pipeline that I currently use. My son has one next door. Both on 5 acre parcels. I also own 5 acres on the bluff with a 750 sq ft. cabin that is waiting to be finished inside. I plan to sell the one near the pipeline when the bluff cabin is done.
            Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Thanks for that information. Its good to know that I don't have to worry about the costs jumping drastically.

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
                My top pick......Sunrise, Alaska located in the heart of the Chugach National Forest has excellent hunting right on your own property, and nearly all properties adjoin government land. It is 78 miles from three hospitals (Anchorage, Soldotna, Seward) which becomes more important as you get older.

There are a total of seven inhabited households, with a total population of ten humans. The tracts are large, generally 5 to 15 acres, and most have their own private shooting range (Mine is 175 yards). Waterfowl and Small Game hunting is good to excellent. Caribou, Moose, Mt. Goats, Dall Sheep, and both Black and Brown Bears inhabit this area.

The area is accessed by the paved Hope Road, but most properties are accessed by logging type roads, which are good in the summer, but super suck in the winter. There is Zero employment, zero, zero, zero in this area. There is mail delivery, but mail boxes are generally a pleasant 1/4 mile walk from your residence. Sunrise, Alaska is an old Gold Mining town from the 1890's period.

Everyone minds their own business and not their neighbors. You can go for weeks or months without seeing another human if you stay on your property. While Sunrise, Alaska is not remote, it is very rural. Fishing is good in this area. When you become a legal "RESIDENT" of Sunrise, Alaska you are entitled to subsistence hunting and fishing permits.

There is electric and phone service available if a property owner wishes. Residents over 65 years old are exempt from property tax, up to the first $300,000.00 of assessed value. After 46 years of wandering around Alaska, I am happy to call Sunrise, Alaska home.
                Digging up an old thread here but how do these people pay for basics i.e. flour, sugar, fuel, health expenses, electricity etc.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GSPhunter View Post
                  Digging up an old thread here but how do these people pay for basics i.e. flour, sugar, fuel, health expenses, electricity etc.
                  Seems akin to asking how Elon Musk can afford to put a sports car on a rocket. If a person can afford to launch his own space ship, wondering how he's going to pay for the payload is probably not an issue, eh?
                  ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                  I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                  The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

I have no idea how things work in Alaska, never heard of the subsistence permits for starters. Very few extremely wealthy people go off grid in Australia, tends toward the other extreme.

Don't get the elon musk reference, but assuming it's self explanatory!

Comment

I have no idea how things work in Alaska, never heard of the subsistence permits for starters. Very few extremely wealthy people go off grid in Australia, tends toward the other extreme.

Don't get the elon musk reference, but assuming it's self explanatory!
                      Ah, you were referring to the "subsistence" mention. I was referring to the fact that land in that area is extremely expensive, and presumably anyone able to afford to buy and build there surely would be able to afford groceries, fuel and health care. The subsistence thing is a reference to laws which allow residents of some rural areas slightly more generous access to hunting and/or fishing is all.
                      ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                      I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                      The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Lots of people have great paying jobs during part of the year, save up money and head to cabin on time off. Despite what you see on TV few and I mean very few live off the land. The further from a road you live the more it costs. Lots of people live on the river systems and that helps some but still not cheap. If I wanted a cabin like the starter of this thread, would look for a nice view lot with road access. Power to the site would be worth a lot to me but not a deal breaker. Trying to move all supplies by ATV, snow machine, boat, or plane gets old real fast!!! As previous poster said boots on the ground are key!!! Come up and rent a camper or car camp for a few years and check out several areas.
                        DENNY

Comment

Yeah ok that makes a lot more sense, thanks for the clarification on that.

I really do envy you guys, I always wanted to go to Alaska, had to go and get married though so stuck here now for good!

Comment

Yeah ok that makes a lot more sense, thanks for the clarification on that.

I really do envy you guys, I always wanted to go to Alaska, had to go and get married though so stuck here now for good!

That's what family vacations are for....

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
                              That's what family vacations are for....
                              Haha yeah but I couldn't visit without hunting and that's a bit beyond me unless I win the lottery I reckon!

Comment

Haha yeah but I couldn't visit without hunting and that's a bit beyond me unless I win the lottery I reckon!

Totally understand....I've always wanted to go to NZ to hunt those Red Stags too, but as you say...."that's a bit beyond me" too.....lol

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X