No announcement yet.

Moving to Soldotna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Lord!!!!! Quick and agile is not my claim to fame anymore. Lol I'm going to trade the Rav in for something taller (much) because I'll squeeze under and keep quiet till he forgets about me.ill make sure to keep my keys on me at all times and have a remote starter installed to keep warm snuggled up to the exhaust while a lay there waiting for him to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post
      Just be sure to keep a wary eye out when you approach your vehicle in the dark in your driveway. I got chased a few laps around my pickup one morning by a bull I didn't see when I went out to get the paper. Truck was locked so I couldn't even jump in it. LOL. I was wearing slippers, flannel pajama bottoms, and a t shirt. Took about 5 minutes of maneuvering to finally get where I could make a break for the front door. It was mighty cold out.
      Reminds me of a time a neighbor who lives a few houses away came over to our house in the winter with their kids. They were out playing in the snow and a moose decided that the salt on their driveway made a nice salt lick. They came inside, warmed up with some hot coco, and when we realized the moose still hadn't left, I drove them home, using the truck to get between the moose and their front door.
      Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

First month update on the relocation. I can pretty much sum this up in just a few words. We love this place!!!!! The moose, the mountain views, the people; it was a lifetime of waiting, and then one heck of a journey with nothing more than what we could fit in the Rav without crushing our terrier.
        Everyone back in New York thought we were nuts leaving our home and everything we built there, but boy are we glad we followed through with our dream!

Comment

Have you tried the 'moose is loose' bakery in Soldotna yet? E.

Comment

Originally posted by 426nut View Post
            Have you tried the 'moose is loose' bakery in Soldotna yet? E.
            More times than I should!!! hahaha Killer apple fritters!

Comment

So I was just looking back and thinking how time has flown. I'm stunned to think we have now been living here 3 years in just a couple weeks. We love Alaska! : )

Comment

Hey, I wasn't active in this thread in 2014, but I'd really like to hear what you've experienced compared to what you were thinking it would be like. Where did you settle? How's the hunting been for you?

Comment

Closing in on my 5th year here. Where has the time gone? I still love Alaska, but to answer the question about "hunting", I have not been hunting a thing since I came here. I remain confused over the complicated (to me anyway) system of having to submit for tags, combined with not having had the opportunity to actually meet other hunters. I have had some memorable fishing moments, but they too have been few and far between. I spent countless hours working in the clinic I came here for initially which left little time to socialize, find friends, or make connections.

Comment

Originally posted by NYHillbilly View Post
                    Closing in on my 5th year here. Where has the time gone? I still love Alaska, but to answer the question about "hunting", I have not been hunting a thing since I came here. I remain confused over the complicated (to me anyway) system of having to submit for tags, combined with not having had the opportunity to actually meet other hunters. I have had some memorable fishing moments, but they too have been few and far between. I spent countless hours working in the clinic I came here for initially which left little time to socialize, find friends, or make connections.
                    Join some Meetup groups. There is one I could recommend, but it's more of an drinking club with an outdoor problem.
                    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Originally posted by NYHillbilly View Post
                      .I remain confused over the complicated (to me anyway) system of having to submit for tags...
                      You don't have to "submit" for tags. You're a resident so, say, to hunt moose, all you have to do is buy a license and while there pick up a free harvest ticket to hunt them. Couldn't be more easy. In fact you can do it all online now if I remember. You can also hunt other animals without putting in for tags. These "tags", I think you are talking about are only for special drawing "permits". Don't let the chances of drawing a permit keep you from hunting Alaska!
                      Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Id buy the Thule roof box. We have a very old 1980s Yakima Rocket Box but after being in the outdoors industry off and on for nearly 50 years Id say Thule makes a better product. As far as mileage bring affected Id say youd never notice it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X