Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving to Soldotna

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Catch it ain't kidding when he said it rains all the time. I think that's why it still isn't crowded down there. I've spent a lot of time on Kodiak, which has similar weather, and I think if I had to live in southeast, I'd end up putting a bullet in my head. But if dreary weather doesn't faze you, that is the place to be.

    Comment


    • #32
      Anything Alaska, you are right. But SE is a whole different kind of Alaska, and should probably be its own state. I lived down there for years and would live there again if I could find a job as good as the one I have, and if my grandkids weren't in SC.

      I'll take rainy weather over over-crowded city any day.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by sayak View Post
        Anything Alaska, you are right. But SE is a whole different kind of Alaska, and should probably be its own state. I lived down there for years and would live there again if I could find a job as good as the one I have, and if my grandkids weren't in SC.

        I'll take rainy weather over over-crowded city any day.
        Take Juneau out of SE and it would be perfect. 😙
        Vegetables arenít food, vegetables are what food eats.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by kingfisherktn View Post
          Take Juneau out of SE and it would be perfect. 
          Ha ha! I remember people in Sitka saying that. Of course, they are still pissed off that Juneau stole the capitol nearly 150 years ago.
          I do feel that not only the physical climate, but the socio/political climate in Juneau makes it... well... different. They say that Sitka has gone libby. I wouldn't mind living in Haines or Wrangell or Petersburg... or maybe Tenakee.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by sayak View Post
            Ha ha! I remember people in Sitka saying that. Of course, they are still pissed off that Juneau stole the capitol nearly 150 years ago.
            I do feel that not only the physical climate, but the socio/political climate in Juneau makes it... well... different. They say that Sitka has gone libby. I wouldn't mind living in Haines or Wrangell or Petersburg... or maybe Tenakee.
            Wrangell is great but you got to remember Amigowill lives there. 😱 😀. Just kidding, Will.
            Vegetables arenít food, vegetables are what food eats.

            Comment


            • #36
              Juneau suits me just fine. I logged 8 years in the bush in DLG and not knowing EVERYONE in town has it's advantages .... I work in Wrangell quite a bit and it's also a very cool town. Very small, and slow..... but good folks and lots of cool opportunities.

              It's funny the bad wrap that Juneau gets......my freezers are full of all kinds of fish and crab, my success rate on deer has been excellent and I haven't been crowded out even on the road, my wife can go catch a play that isn't put on by the middle school, I can actually get what I need in town without going online most of the time AND I still know 5 people by name every time I go to the store. (with only three years in JNU.)

              Before I moved here an old acquaintance who lives in KTN said how much Juneau sucked......said the fishing sucked, the hunting sucked, the people sucked.......well, I just keep sending him pictures of the neat stuff I am doing.....and if what I'm doing "sucks" well then I probably couldn't handle whatever the heck he's talking about, prolly have a heart attack.

              My only complaint is the real estate prices......dang.

              All this said, I've enjoyed the time I spent on the KP.....nice folks nice pace, decent winter weather and you may have to think about it but there's ways to get some space to yourself for sure. Just not on some rivers on some weekends. Hunting may be crowded from what folks say but it can't be as bad as the Stikine or Taku for moose......those boys are a wee bit territorial.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by sayak View Post
                Ha ha! I remember people in Sitka saying that. Of course, they are still pissed off that Juneau stole the capitol nearly 150 years ago.
                I do feel that not only the physical climate, but the socio/political climate in Juneau makes it... well... different. They say that Sitka has gone libby. I wouldn't mind living in Haines or Wrangell or Petersburg... or maybe Tenakee.
                Eh, no hard feelings from here. In fact I for one am glad we aren't the capital. That way we have a population of 8600 instead of 30,000+ which would ruin what we have here! We wouldn't be a rural town anymore, and all of our subsistence opportunities would go out the door.

                As far as Sitka being 'libby' I think politics are best kept out of forums unless you want to start fights. That being said I wouldn't say it's totally liberal, but a lot of people who live here (myself included) don't have the Cut, Kill, Dig, Drill mindset; which I admire. I look at it as less of a political standpoint, but more of an understanding, and a want to preserve and have conservation for the special lifestyles that we can live down here. We don't want Baranof Island to look like a bad Haircut in Google Earth like POW does.

                Of course I think this thread is getting waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic.

                Comment


                • #38
                  I have to say I'm getting quiet an education reading these posts. I'll have to get me a book of accepted abbreviations to keep up. Some of them I can figure out right off, others have me stumped. Thats OK though it's all part of my new experience.

                  I'm not sure how I would hold up with non stop rain but do like the deer hunting part. Here in Waterville, NY, deer season has most always blessed me with a full freezer. Then again few people around here put in as many hours as I have over the years. I've slowed down quite a bit since my early days. My youthful obsession and drive has been replaced with more of a relaxed appreciation for my time afield. And, although I'm very excited to finally be making this move, it still is bitter sweet. With our trip up next week I will be missing the first opening day and entire rifle season in the 39 years since my first season. I actually quit good and bad jobs in the past when such a thing was suggested. The desire to relocate to Alaska is pretty intense that it would break such a run when nothing else ever could.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Abbreviations:

                    KTN. Ketchikan
                    POW. Prince of Wales Island
                    KP. Kenai Peninsula
                    SE. Southeast (Alaska)
                    Vegetables arenít food, vegetables are what food eats.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by kingfisherktn View Post
                      Abbreviations:

                      KTN. Ketchikan
                      POW. Prince of Wales Island
                      KP. Kenai Peninsula
                      SE. Southeast (Alaska)
                      ROGTHFAWC = Resident old guy that hunts from a wheelchair = kingfisherktn

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Brian M View Post
                        ROGTHFAWC = Resident old guy that hunts from a wheelchair = kingfisherktn

                        Getting closer everyday Brian. roud:
                        Vegetables arenít food, vegetables are what food eats.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Brian M View Post
                          ROGTHFAWC = Resident old guy that hunts from a wheelchair = kingfisherktn
                          Ah... now we know what you REALLY think about your elders young grasshopper.
                          See, I told you we needed an elders' forum so we don't have to put up with such abuse and can commiserate a bit.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by sayak View Post
                            Ah... now we know what you REALLY think about your elders young grasshopper.
                            See, I told you we needed an elders' forum so we don't have to put up with such abuse and can commiserate a bit.
                            Here here, and I elect you chief elder. :topjob:
                            Vegetables arenít food, vegetables are what food eats.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by kingfisherktn View Post
                              Here here, and I elect you chief elder. :topjob:
                              KTKN- king of highjacks! I appoint you as the chief lackey.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by sayak View Post
                                KTKN- king of highjacks! I appoint you as the chief lackey.

                                Thanks, applause is appreciated.
                                Vegetables arenít food, vegetables are what food eats.

                                Comment

                                Footer Adsense

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X