Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaska Grandma
    replied
    I have found that the swallows that nest in the birdhouse boxes are usually tree swallows and the ones that nest on the eaves under roofs and the like are usually barn or mud swallows. But I ain't no expert, just from my observation. They are beautiful, but yeah, they sure do make a mess!

Bugs are out in full force today and the birds are having a feast!
    Grandma Lori

Leave a comment:

• jkb
    replied
    I've had swallow boxes up for several years with no residents. This year I spotted some investgating them. So where do they build the nest in the one part of the eave on my new addition that I did not put any bird screen. This fall I'll go up and clean up their mess.

Leave a comment:

• tailwind
    replied
    Eagles at Anchor Point
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• alaska4ever
    replied
    Good sign Spring is here.......Yesterday morning out front.

Leave a comment:

• alaska4ever
    replied
    THE GULLS ARE HERE

Leave a comment:

• alaska4ever
    replied
    The Ice is breaking definately up

Leave a comment:

• Rumbarr
    replied
    Need some fresh pics of Great Horned Owls please ......my favorite bird =)

Leave a comment:

• alaska4ever
    replied
    Gulls are returning

Leave a comment:

• Old John
    replied
    Originally posted by jkb View Post
    I've seen a bunch of sandhill cranes this year never seen them in big lake before spring or fall. Our neighborhood eagle has moved on. Lots of chickadees.
    Have a pair of sandhill cranes that nest near a little tundra pond out by my cabin off the yentna... when i get close the male gets between me and the female on the nest and is constantly chattering away... I don't know if he's telling me to bugger off, or if he's assuring the female he has everything under control.. I don't want to upset them so I always back off ...

Leave a comment:

• jkb
    replied
    I've seen a bunch of sandhill cranes this year never seen them in big lake before spring or fall. Our neighborhood eagle has moved on. Lots of chickadees.

Leave a comment:

• Alaska Grandma
    replied
    The eagles seemed to arrive on time this year, but I also agree that the song bird migration is a little late. Then again the past 2 years we were much warmer earlier and had a lot less snow on the ground so maybe we were just spoiled.

Those robins sure have a pretty tune!

I saw a squirrel check the vacant Common Flicker woodpecker nest last week so not sure if they have taken it over or were just investigating. The flickers are noisy, they sound like something that belongs in a jungle but I do love them nesting right here in a tall tree right in the yard! They won't be here for another week or two I'm thinking...right about the time we green up.

Sure love this time of year!
    Lori

Leave a comment:

• Old John
    replied
    Originally posted by Ak Bird Brain View Post
    Saw my first Robins of the year!
    Me too... they seem to be running a little later this year... Looks like a pair of chickadee's have taken over my swallows bird house..
    Last year I watched a woodpecker take several days to chip out a new home in a dead birch tree, but before they could move in a pair of nuthatches set up housekeeping.. Hope they come back...

Leave a comment:

• Ak Bird Brain
    replied
    Saw my first Robins of the year!

Leave a comment:

• Alaska Grandma
    replied
    Originally posted by tailwind View Post
    Couple pics today from a drive on the Kenai.
    Beautiful pictures! Woke up to the sounds of bird songs this morning...They are here finally. Thrushes, robins, various sparrows too. Really nice!

Leave a comment:

• tailwind
    replied
    Couple pics today from a drive on the Kenai.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X