Polar Bears on the Kenai Peninsula

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polar Bears on the Kenai Peninsula

I read a history of the Kenai Peninsula a few months back and it claimed polar bears were present as little as 60 or so years ago. I haven't seen this info in other references, but I couldn't figure why they would make it up either. Anyone have further details?

Well my father in law has been here that long & he never mentioned any... He used to guide for polar bear up north in the late 50s-early 60s (as well as moose & bear locally) so I think he would heve mentioned running into any around here.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Comment

I was very skeptical when I read it, but from a historical reference I didn't see why they would make a mistake like that. Poor editing I suppose.

Comment

That's funny.

I've heard old accounts of them floating by Kodiak. But, those were from longer ago than 60 years. And, equally subject to question.

I think what happens in these stories is that people confuse two places or merge two memories.

60 years ago was well within the era of photography.

I do know someone that saw a polar bear in Eagle River, but, that was after hours behind the wheel with no sleep.
        "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Comment

Remember a winter or two ago when local hunters killed a polar bear right outside of Fort Yukon. Everyone was astounded how far south that bear had roamed. It was unheard of. Well, Ft. Yukon is still above the Arctic Circle. I too have been stomping around the KP since the '60s and I have yet to see or hear of one. Maybe there was a white morph someone spotted and it was reported as a polar bear.

Comment

Last year they caught on here in Noorvik, 60 miles inland, from Kotzebue Sound, and this year they caught on in Noatak Village, also a consitterable distance inland.

Female Polar Bears go inland to den up and have cubs.

The ice has thinned out so much, its been ten years since Polar Bears, Walrus, Beluga and mny kinds of Seals have been common in the Sound.
            All are doing things diferently now.
            If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.:topjob:

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Comment

Originally posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
              Last year they caught on here in Noorvik, 60 miles inland, from Kotzebue Sound, and this year they caught on in Noatak Village, also a consitterable distance inland.

Female Polar Bears go inland to den up and have cubs.

The ice has thinned out so much, its been ten years since Polar Bears, Walrus, Beluga and mny kinds of Seals have been common in the Sound.
              All are doing things diferently now.
              Remind me to remind you to remind me to enlist you when the ice issue comes up again - we know it will.
              "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Comment

Hmmmm

never heard of that......but then again they said black tails are not in anchorage area.....until a pic was taken

Comment

Maybe I should go out and search the peninsula for the summer, sort of like that hunt for the ivory-billed woodpecker down in Arkansas. maybe someone will pay me to do so?

Comment

They do wander

Polar bears are great wanderers. Barry Lopez who wrote "arctic dreams" describes them being found on the top of mountains hundreds of miles inland, and even one that had wandered to within a few hundred miles of New York near the St. Lawrence seaway - the Sangquey river I believe, down from Hudson Bay...

Comment

They're There!

The polar bears that you all are looking for live right next to where everyone sees the cougars......happy hunting :)

Comment

I think that there is a potential for those seeing polar bears on the Kenai to die a violent death. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=49478

Comment

That thar bar be danc'in! puff puff give!

Comment

Skeptics! All of you!

Comment

Originally posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
                              The polar bears that you all are looking for live right next to where everyone sees the cougars......happy hunting :)
                              Would that be somewhere near the mule deer around salcha?

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X