Carpenter Ants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carpenter Ants

Out in the yard today and noticed over 100 large 3/8 to 1/2 " black ants moving around. Mostly the flying ones. I'm thinking the wet spring and quick breakup has increased the number of ants looking to start new colonies? Way more than I've ever seen in such a short time (5ish hours). Best way to fight these critters?

When my dad lived in Florida he used an ant food that the ants took back to the nest that was actually a poison. I have never seen a carpenter ant in AK though. Not doubting you but have never seen one.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Hard to deal with flying ants and until they establish an actually colony they are not much of a threat....
      That said if you notice lines of them marching around anywhere near your buildings, especially log buildings, follow them to the nest then dig, burn, spray destroy. If there are nests around they will only spread and in time will be likely to move into buildings. Nests are likely to be in rotting stumps, dead trees etc in the wood and underground. Spread a tarp, get garbage cans etc then use a chainsaw to section the infested wood. There could be LOTS of ants in there. Spray them and contain them in the tarps, etc.
      If they do move into the house logs, figure out where they are, drill into the wood where necessary and spray.

Comment

I noticed some at a property in Wasilla a few weeks ago. There are a few good poisons that will work, just ask at one of the big box stores

Comment

Chickens. Get some free chickens. Let them run loose.
          Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ant.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	2756558
            This is one of the big ones. Lots of small ones 1/3 this size.
            I'll give one of them shaker bag of insect death a shot.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post
              Chickens. Get some free chickens. Let them run loose.
              Right on. Plus they'll taste good later this year...

Comment

Used to have problems with carpenter ants every year. There was a fire here in the 70's. Lots of dead wood on the ground. As I cleared back further from the house, the problem went away. Too far for them to travel through the lawn without getting eaten by birds I guess. The few remaining spruce that were around all had infestations in them. Diazanon will kill them off if you can put it where they take it back to the nest. It's not instantanious though.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post
                  Used to have problems with carpenter ants every year. There was a fire here in the 70's. Lots of dead wood on the ground. As I cleared back further from the house, the problem went away. Too far for them to travel through the lawn without getting eaten by birds I guess. The few remaining spruce that were around all had infestations in them. Diazanon will kill them off if you can put it where they take it back to the nest. It's not instantanious though.
                  That's good to know. I'd rather use something they can take back deep into the nest and slowly time release to get as many as possible. I've been reading some stuff online and I'm seeing most of the products that claim to kill Ants specifically say they won't kill Carpenter Ants. Got to read all the fine print everytime or I'll end up wasting money on what don't work.

Comment

Originally posted by tracen8r View Post

That's good to know. I'd rather use something they can take back deep into the nest and slowly time release to get as many as possible. I've been reading some stuff online and I'm seeing most of the products that claim to kill Ants specifically say they won't kill Carpenter Ants. Got to read all the fine print everytime or I'll end up wasting money on what don't work.
                    Diazinon worked on them for me. I got mine at one of the greenhouse places.

Comment

This stuff actually works:
                      https://www.amazon.com/Terro-T300-Li...a-569393549881

Comment

Originally posted by BobG View Post
                        Thanks for the info.
                        That's what I ended up with. Also a shaker bag of granules. I'll use the liquid bait as close to the colony as I can figure, then use the granules as a moat of death around buildings.

Comment

Originally posted by tracen8r View Post

Thanks for the info.
                          That's what I ended up with. Also a shaker bag of granules. I'll use the liquid bait as close to the colony as I can figure, then use the granules as a moat of death around buildings.
                          That's what I have been doing for the last 10+ years and works
                          I put the ant baits our when I first see ants in the early summer (usually the little brown ants here in SE Alaska) but put them at the corners of the cabin and the base of porch and carport posts.
                          Then the sprinkles around the first of August when the flying carpenter ants start showing making a ring around the entire cabin.
                          When I first moved here I couldn't believe the number of flying carpenter ants - there have to be dozens if not hundreds of nests scattered in the woods

But since using the terro product no problems in the cabin (knock on wood)
                          Bob

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X