Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4merguide
    replied
    Depends on where you live. Some places in AK. will have a lot more than others. I've seen bears, lynx, coyotes, just driving around to and from work. Although I only had one brownie come into my yard in the 30 some years I've been here I used to see them only a mile or so away. A few years back a couple 10' brownies strolled into downtown Soldotna in the middle of the day in the middle of summer. Police had to kill one of them. People in downtown Anchorage may not ever see a bear in the neighborhood and yet recently they had to relocate a blackie sow and cubs from somewhere around there. In AK. there's always a chance to see a bear no matter where you live. It's just that some places have more than others. The more rural you are, the more chances to see them.....

Leave a comment:

• Frostbitten
    replied
    Originally posted by Arrowchaser View Post
    I've had a black bear coming around the last couple days here. It made me wonder
    how often different people see black or brown bears in Alaska? I'd hate to move up
    just to see less bears.

This bear came snooping around Friday night. He looked like he was licking the sap
    off a pine tree in our yard. I looked out the window and he bluff charged at me. (on the other side of the window) He must have
    been relocated because he's got a couple ear tags. Then I saw him again today while I
    was working on a gate post at my neighbors. He's a bold one. Huffing, puffing, and growling.

I just don't want to move to an area where there are no bears. That would be depressing.

So I guess the question is- How often do you see black or brown bears?
    I see them often (almost every time) when I go to the Russian River, but almost never otherwise. Contrary to what a lot of L48'ers have been lead to believe, there is not a bear behind every tree waiting to maul us everytime we walk out the front door.

Leave a comment:

• SmokeRoss
    replied
    Not so much around home, but we used to average a bear sighting every 12 hours we spent at our remote cabin. The black bear numbers have dropped off, while the brown bear numbers have exploded. i don't care to see a brown bear every 12 hours.

Leave a comment:

• Arrowchaser
    started a topic How often do you see a bear?

How often do you see a bear?

I've had a black bear coming around the last couple days here. It made me wonder
    how often different people see black or brown bears in Alaska? I'd hate to move up
    just to see less bears.

This bear came snooping around Friday night. He looked like he was licking the sap
    off a pine tree in our yard. I looked out the window and he bluff charged at me. (on the other side of the window) He must have
    been relocated because he's got a couple ear tags. Then I saw him again today while I
    was working on a gate post at my neighbors. He's a bold one. Huffing, puffing, and growling.

I just don't want to move to an area where there are no bears. That would be depressing.

So I guess the question is- How often do you see black or brown bears?

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X