Steller's Jay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steller's Jay

I have made several attempts to photograph a Steller's Jay. No matter what camera I use; digital, SLR, smart phone, instamatic, etc. the results are always very dull looking, not the bright vivid color I see. Can anyone tell me why?

Probably has to do with the time of day; are you shooting towards midday, when the light gets progressively bluer? The best way to photograph birds is with low-angled sun (sunrise or sunset) directly at your back. Second best, for close-ups, is bright overcast sky with a bit of fill flash, but the color of the Steller's jay isn't real conducive to outdoor photography...you might try playing with the white balance a bit, and shoot in RAW if you can. Can you post pics?
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Comment

Here's some examples of the "low-angled sun" method:

" Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Comment

And the "overcast with fill flash" method:

Comment

I was shooting mid day with lots of sun. I'll try your techniques this summer thanks.

Comment

Here is a typical shot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	stellers jay 4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	2490867

Comment

Yeah keep at it...for every couple hundred shots I take, probably get one I love lol.....those are pretty ballsy birds, if you set up a feeder platform, I'm sure you could get some nice closeups for the price of a few croutons.....good luck

Comment

Thanks. I'll try the feeder.

Comment

A bit more sun needed here

Live life and love it
                  Love life and live it

Comment

Originally posted by bullbuster View Post
                    A bit more sun needed here

very nice.

Comment

Old Lucinda...she died within a day or 2 of this washed out shot. Under the shed now. }:>

Live life and love it
                      Love life and live it

Comment

Lucinda last generation..

Live life and love it
                        Love life and live it

Comment

More Steller's Jay

Get close. This is Rudi. Rescued from a cat (out of his jaws) and nursed back to health. Attacked again and nursed again. Followed me like a puppy. Hop hop hopping along.

Rudi at the zoo. They killed him. Called me about 8 PM and said he had a heart attack. A friend of a friend that worked at the zoo told me that he strangled on a string toy in his cage. And they wouldn't let me keep him because I wasn't qualified and they knew best! Sons a b..}:>.
                          Good blue, but missed his face.

Live life and love it
                          Love life and live it

Comment

That's the vivid blue I've been trying to capture. Too bad about Rudi.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X