Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have one like this and what I have done is change the hose and put one on that has an adjustable regulator like comes on a turkey cooker. You can buy them at Lowes or Home Depot. I can regulate mine down to about 100*. The only thing is to keep the smoke going I use dry chips and take the rack out that the chip pan sets on and place it right over the burner. The hole over the burner will hold the pan about 2" above the burner and it works fine. If the chips start to flame up I just hit it with the spray bottle and dampen the chips some. I usually just leave the burner control on the smoker set to High and control the temp from the adjustable regulator. Good Luck and hope this helps.

Comment

Does anyone have a recipe for salmon candy or jerky?

Comment

Originally posted by pacific-23 View Post
        I find the temps you guys are using interesting. As salmon is considered done (officially) once the internal temp reaches 135 to 140, anything over this is only going to dry it out. As I am not running an USDA inspected kitchen, I consider it done after 120. I do like my fish moist and softer/rarer than some others I'm sure. Again just my preference.
        Looks like it's that time again, and other than a new great recipe, this is the kind of thing I'm interested in now that I have a digital smoker. I haven't looked through all the posts, so I'm gonna be lazy here.... Has anybody taken the time to do the research and came up with an ultimate temp. for smoking fish? I know for the most part it's personal preference as so many like their salmon smoked in so many different ways. But personally, I hate to babysit a smoker all day, thus the main reason for buying a digital smoker. I also know that many like cold smoked salmon with almost no heat, and some like to basically cook the fish at higher temps. Not interested in either one of those ideas. I just like my fish to not be too dry or too moist. So, again, has anybody came up with a good overall temp for smoking salmon and an idea of how long? I also found that I'm getting even lazier in that I now would rather smoke whole fillets rather than cutting them up in strips which I have always done. I would imagine this probably makes a difference as well.

Thanks for the input....
        Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
          OK so I just got done smoking some Halibut and it turned out really good as usual.
          Lots of people at work asked for the recipe I used and so I figured I would post it here as well.
          I got this recipe from a book and modified it slightly. Super simple to use and turns out a great product.
          I use my Big Chief smoker with the blanket they sell for them around it. To fill it up I needed to make 2 and 1/2 batches of this brine.
          This is a hot smoked fish recipe.

1 cup soy sauce
          1/2 cup brown sugar
          3 cloves garlic, crushed
          1/4 cup salt
          3 teaspoons black pepper
          2 cups water
          3 pounds halibut

In a large glass or plastic bowl mix soy sauce,brown sugar,garlic,salt,pepper, and water until well dissloved.
          Cut Halibut into slabs not to exceed one inch thick.
          Place halibut in sauce and refigerate for 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours,Stirring occasionaly.
          Remove halibut and pat dry. Let stand at room temperature for 45 minutes, or until a tacky glaze forms on the fish.
          Meanwhile heat smoker and have chips burning. Smoke fish for 6-8 hours, or until done.
          Do you smoke it with alder Chris?

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
            Do you smoke it with alder Chris?
            No I usually use hickory.
            I'm sure alder would be good also.
            I've just always used hickory as that's what my favorite smoked salmon recipe calls for so I always have some on hand.
            "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
              Looks like it's that time again, and other than a new great recipe, this is the kind of thing I'm interested in now that I have a digital smoker. I haven't looked through all the posts, so I'm gonna be lazy here.... Has anybody taken the time to do the research and came up with an ultimate temp. for smoking fish? I know for the most part it's personal preference as so many like their salmon smoked in so many different ways. But personally, I hate to babysit a smoker all day, thus the main reason for buying a digital smoker. I also know that many like cold smoked salmon with almost no heat, and some like to basically cook the fish at higher temps. Not interested in either one of those ideas. I just like my fish to not be too dry or too moist. So, again, has anybody came up with a good overall temp for smoking salmon and an idea of how long? I also found that I'm getting even lazier in that I now would rather smoke whole fillets rather than cutting them up in strips which I have always done. I would imagine this probably makes a difference as well.

Thanks for the input....
              What kind of digital smoker did you get?
              Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Comment

Originally posted by FishGod View Post
                What kind of digital smoker did you get?
                Sorry I forgot about this thread and didn't see it till now. I bought a Charbroil digital smoker.....

Here's the review I just gave it:

"I have to admit that the smoker smokes meats and poultry very nicely. But seeing that I bought the smoker mainly to smoke salmon I'm a bit disappointed. During pre-heat the smoker chips get to smoking very good. But once I turn it down on low the unit will not keep the chips lit and smoking. I live in Alaska and we smoke a lot of salmon up here. The key to real good smoked salmon is to use low heat for longer periods of time. This keeps the great oils and fats inside the fish where it needs to be. If you try to smoke (cook) at higher temps say above 160 the oils will cook out and the fish can easily become dry. Understand that I am not advocating for a cold smoke, that's an entirely different thing. I just want a consistent low temp around 140 degrees or so that produces smoke. This unit does not seem to be able to do that. The last few times I've tried to smoke salmon the chips have gone out. If I wanted to cook the fish rather than smoke it, I'd just throw it on the grill instead. I bought the unit because I didn't want a smoker that I had to babysit all day. Yet after an hour into the smoking process I just got done pulling the smoker box out and putting a torch to it in hopes of getting the chips going again. I'd like to give the unit a better rating and if it would smoke at a lower temp then it would be a great smoker. I'm actually tempted to send it back because it's still under warrantee."

Edit.... I should have said "140 degrees or lower". If this thing would keep the chips smoking at temps around 100 to say 120 it would be great. What I'm thinking is that because the unit is so well insulated, is that by the time it gets the chips smoking real good during preheat which is at 280 degrees, then I turn it down and put the fish in, in the time it takes for the unit to cool down and allow the thermostat to make the burner come on again, the chips have gone out. So at this point I'm trying to figure out a way to still make this work. I was actually thinking about setting it to a higher temp to keep the chips burning and maybe open the door a little to let some of the heat out. Anyway, all the ducks, moose, and caribou I've done in it (even at near zero degrees) have ended with "to die for" results, so I won't be sending it back. At this stage in the game I'll keep on working at it to see how I can get it right for fish. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

How about Lox? any tips on how to prepare before cold smoking?

Comment

Originally posted by agp View Post
                    How about Lox? any tips on how to prepare before cold smoking?
                    Anybody? Like lox out there?

Comment

• Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
                      Sorry I forgot about this thread and didn't see it till now. I bought a Charbroil digital smoker.....

Here's the review I just gave it:

"I have to admit that the smoker smokes meats and poultry very nicely. But seeing that I bought the smoker mainly to smoke salmon I'm a bit disappointed. During pre-heat the smoker chips get to smoking very good. But once I turn it down on low the unit will not keep the chips lit and smoking. I live in Alaska and we smoke a lot of salmon up here. The key to real good smoked salmon is to use low heat for longer periods of time. This keeps the great oils and fats inside the fish where it needs to be. If you try to smoke (cook) at higher temps say above 160 the oils will cook out and the fish can easily become dry. Understand that I am not advocating for a cold smoke, that's an entirely different thing. I just want a consistent low temp around 140 degrees or so that produces smoke. This unit does not seem to be able to do that. The last few times I've tried to smoke salmon the chips have gone out. If I wanted to cook the fish rather than smoke it, I'd just throw it on the grill instead. I bought the unit because I didn't want a smoker that I had to babysit all day. Yet after an hour into the smoking process I just got done pulling the smoker box out and putting a torch to it in hopes of getting the chips going again. I'd like to give the unit a better rating and if it would smoke at a lower temp then it would be a great smoker. I'm actually tempted to send it back because it's still under warrantee."

Edit.... I should have said "140 degrees or lower". If this thing would keep the chips smoking at temps around 100 to say 120 it would be great. What I'm thinking is that because the unit is so well insulated, is that by the time it gets the chips smoking real good during preheat which is at 280 degrees, then I turn it down and put the fish in, in the time it takes for the unit to cool down and allow the thermostat to make the burner come on again, the chips have gone out. So at this point I'm trying to figure out a way to still make this work. I was actually thinking about setting it to a higher temp to keep the chips burning and maybe open the door a little to let some of the heat out. Anyway, all the ducks, moose, and caribou I've done in it (even at near zero degrees) have ended with "to die for" results, so I won't be sending it back. At this stage in the game I'll keep on working at it to see how I can get it right for fish. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
                      Awesome, thanks for the feedback. You may want to check out this website. There are some crafty alterations that you can do to your smoker;
                      http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/

Comment

• A friend of mine just gave me some smoked silver. He told me it was the meat from the gill plate and said because it's the best part of the fish. First time I've ever heard this. Even though I like smoked silver about the best anyway, and it is really good, but I really haven't noticed much difference in this "cut" compared to the rest of the fish. Just wondering if anybody else has ever heard this?

Comment

• My wife loves lox, I like it from time to time. Best lox I've had was when the smoker died on a cold fall night and we didn't know it until later (not sure how long it was smoked or cooked) so it was lightly smoked, lightly cooked, and brined like normal. So for advice on making your own, either bust out a 12 pack set your smoker on a short timer and forget you were smoking fish, or do a very light smoke at very low heat. I always check the internal temp of my meat, so if needed finishing in the oven to get it to temp helps. Just don't follow the fda guidelines, they think medium is rare and rare is raw, I'm pretty sure they are a bunch of vegans who want meat lovers to hate meat.
                          I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

A friend of mine just gave me some smoked silver. He told me it was the meat from the gill plate and said because it's the best part of the fish. First time I've ever heard this. Even though I like smoked silver about the best anyway, and it is really good, but I really haven't noticed much difference in this "cut" compared to the rest of the fish. Just wondering if anybody else has ever heard this?
                            I assume your friend is referring to the collar.

Comment

• Originally posted by FishGod View Post
                              I assume your friend is referring to the collar.
                              Yes, your thoughts?

Comment

Yes, your thoughts?
                                I thoroughly enjoy the collar and belly strap. The bottom of the collar (throat) is my favorite. Like bellies, collars have a noticeable difference in taste and texture compared to fillets in species with high oil content, such as sockeye and king. Since silvers generally don't have a high oil content compared to kings or sockeye, I don't notice the difference between collar and fillet as much in silvers. King salmon collars are the cat's meow. We put a bunch of sockeye collars in our seafood chowder last night and it was fantastic! I keep every collar and belly strap off my sockeye and kings. Not so much with Southcentral silvers. They just lack the oil content. Now, Western Alaska coho, that's a different story.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X