Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always made enough for five gallons of brine. It is best to freeze the fish first, it will give you a firmer finished product. Oh, did i mention I worked in a meat market for about 10years, using a smokehouse every day?
    5 gallons of water
    3# salt (about 2.5 pints)
    1.5# brown sugar
    I had to use Sodium Nitrite aka sure cure for state law. For personal use it can be omitted.
    If you are looking for hot the easiest way is to find a coffee grinder or small food processor at a rummage sale. Clean it really well and grind a whole bunch of habaneros, jalapenos, and what everelse you can find that won't melt it. By using different peppers they all have heat, some "kick" at different times, once you play with it, you can get the heat to come in waves. The peppers don't need to be fresh, dry with fresh will produce a paste, you can really get a nice crust.
    I, by no means have the best way, everybody has different tastes. With that said everyone is right, because it's right for them. Best of luck finding what's right for you!
    http://www.glacierbearlodge.com/alas...experience.htm

Comment

Smoked pinks

Hi all, after perusing (spelling?) the many posts regarding everybody's favorite brine recipe; I decided that simpler was better; so I used fishNphysian's dry brine/rub recipe: 3 parts brown sugar to 1 part pickling salt.
      VERY GOOD! To top it all off, guess which salmon I used? FROZEN PINKS from July/Aug 2006!!! Go figure! Keep in mind that these pinks were caught out in Cook Inlet, bled & slushed upon being caught in a gillnet. I've always heard pinks get a bad rap and I don't doubt them being much more questionable in the fresh water, but those caught in the salt and taken care of properly were great. For those naysayers who say pinks are still only good for smoking: I barbecued a couple of them from the same batch using my favorite sockeye recipe, and they were good; not as good as a red (what is?) but good; mild like trout.
      Long live the lowly pinks! Give pinks a chance! Hug a pink! Go pinks, go!
      Give 'em a try! When the going gets tough (as in; no more reds or anything else in my freezer), the tough eat pinks!
      Jim
      Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Comment

Yet another vote for keep it simple. If you also through in the long bones from last seasons moose/caribou that have been held over in the freezer you'll have some verey happy dogs too.
        BHA Member
        Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
        The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Comment

Simple and good

A bag of brown sugar, and a couple cups of Montreal steak seasoning. After sitting in the brine for no more than 12 hrs make sure you dry it out for at least 16 hours before smoking. Yummy!

Comment

Smoking Recipe

I keep it simple as well,

Equal parts salt, brown sugar, and worchestershire sauce.
            Calvin

We need a revolution to get this country back from the crooks. Abolish the IRS, Income Taxes, Federal Reserve, and "All" government handouts.

Comment

I make a cold smoked jerky type. I use a wet brine and because we have refridgerators, I have, over the years backed way off on the salt. Salt's mission now is taste and not preservation. With 4 gallons of clean(distilled, good well or spring or filtered) water I add 3.5 cups brown sugar, 2.5 cups of non-iodized salt and 1 cup blackstrap molasses. If spices are desired I will sprinkle on the fish while it is drying prior to smoking. I brine previously frozed fish 4 hours. Fish that has been frozen wil take brine at a faster rate.
              My favorite smoke wood is alder, somewhat dried to reduct the condensation in the smoker. I have tried Cherry, maple, hickory, cottonwood and others but, for me, alder is best for salmon.
              Pete

Comment

hey guys this is my recipe for smoked sockeye. first i make some mud it consists of 1 cup of hi-country original jerky spice its made in montana and can be mail ordered the number is 1-800-433-3916 or www.hicountry.com I dont work 4 them I just like their product.so any way in a large mixing bowl I put 1 cup original jerky spice,2 cups packed brownsugar,2tbsb blackpeper,1/3cup of maple syurp, 1/2 cup soysause,and 1/2 a cup of water......mix all ingerdents together with a wisk till u got well mixed mud.,/.,set mixture aside..de pin youre filets an cut into 1in strips leave the skin on get 2 freezer sized ziplock bags fill the bags 1/2 full of fish strips throw in some halibut strips also if u gotem....pour 1/2 of the mud in each bag zip shut and tumble by hand till its all coated evenly..open the corner of the bag press out as much air as u can the zip it shut.. put it in the fridge or on ice 4 at least 24 hrs..remove from fridge open bag in sink fil bag with water zip shut shake and drain water repeat this step till water becomes mostly clear it will take about 4 times of fresh water then then put fish on smoker racks skin side down ...sprinkel with coarse ground peper an let air dry 4 about 2 hrs or untill sticky smoke at 190 for 1.5 hrs add chip smoke at 220 4 another 30 min remove from rack skin should stay stuck 2 the rack put fish on cookie sheets and let it cool ...then into bags and into the fridge when cold eat with chedar cheese and ritz ..hope u like it ...I do ps I use mesquite chips..oyea try some of the smoked salmon an halibut in a cheese alfrado sause ...

Comment

Brine

One of my favorites of mine for salmon is:

2 large cans frozen orange juice (thawed)
                  1 cup brown sugar
                  1/2 cup regular sugar
                  1/4 to 1/2 cup salt
                  Worchestershire sauce
                  Cayenne pepper to taste
                  soy sauce
                  Terryaki sauce
                  garlic
                  3 gallons of water

Adjust the amounts to your taste, but this is the basic recipe I made up, and it is good. I get the fish very cold but not frozen, and place as much in the brine I want to smoke. I keep this in the fridge for up to 2 days and pat it dry before I place it in my smokers. I sometimes don't use as much salt as some would when I know I am going to either eat the smoked fish within a week or two kept in the fridge or making it for a get-together. If I am planning on making a batch to keep a while, like for a hunting trip, I will increase the salt accordingly.

Also, whoever says pinks are not good for anything but a smoker either have not eaten much or have eaten some that have been in the rivers too long. My favorite pink recipe is to cube the filets into roughly 1 inch squares. Make a good cajun corn meal dry mix. Put the mixture in a gallon ziplock bag. Place a handful of the pink chunks in the bag and shake it until all pieces are coated. Deep fry in HOT oil until a golden brown, but do not over-cook. Drain on paper towels and you have a feast on your hands. Try it and you will love pinks. This works for other salmon, too (except chums), but the pinks are just better like this.
                  Last edited by Hawken54; 08-07-2007, 20:14. Reason: Fat fingers
                  Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???:mad:

Comment

One of our favorites is:

3 cans pineapple juice
                    4 pounds brown sugar
                    2 cups kosher salt

This makes enough for about 4 gallons of fillets. We cut'em up into smaller pieces and then after about 12 hours lay them out until they glaze over (with a fan blowing on the pieces) before smoking- even the kids fight for the fish!

Comment

Here's a point of information for those interested, noting that our household has also settled on the K.I.S.S. principle for smoking salmon IF it will be canned (we enjoy a variety of recipe for non-canned smoked salmon).

Still trying to find the 'perfect to us' flavor and texture combination, we recently tried the following combinations of steps and had the following results:

1. SKIN-ON, 50/50 BRINE, 75% ALDER + 25% HICKORY SMOKE: Brine skin-on cut strips for 4 hours in 50/50 solution (1-1/2 c. each brown sugar and pickling salt in 1 gallon of water), followed by one pan of smoke in a Big Chief smoker, wood chip mix was 3 parts alder to 1 part hickory. (We think a touch of hickory is necessary but otherwise alder is the wood of choice for salmon.)

2. SKIN-OFF, 50/50 BRINE, 75% ALDER + 25% HICKORY SMOKE: Same as #1 above, but skin removed after smoking.

3. SKIN-ON, 3:1 BROWN SUGAR:SALT, 50% ALDER + 50% HICKORY SMOKE: Same process as above, but brine is 3 parts brown sugar and 1 part pickling salt, and _dry_. Fish strips were rolled in the sugar/salt mix then put in a rubbermaid bin to brine ...no added liquids (let the fish make the brine.) The fish were left in this brine for 4 hours as above. Due to the sweeter nature of this brine, we opted for a little more hickory this time and went 50/50 with the alder chips (alder is a bit sweety ...or so we think.)

4. SKIN-OFF, 3:1 BROWN SUGAR:SALT, 50% ALDER + 50% HICKORY SMOKE: Same as #3 above but skin removed after smoking.

All fish was pressure canned at 17 psi for 110 minutes using 1/2-pint jars.

RESULTS:
                      a) The dry 3:1 sugar/salt brine produced a finished (canned) product that was ever-so-slightly softer than the 50/50 sugar/salt liquid brine ...but so close in texture that it didn't matter.

b) The color of the 3:1-dry brined fish was a lot more red ...more candy looking, while the color of the 50/50-liquid brined fish was more orange ...looked like salmon not like candy. The colors faded a little during canning..

c) We thought the 3:1 sugar/salt brine produced a sweeter product that we didn't like as well (when canned that is ...we love salmon candy) while the 50/50 liquid brine produced fish that seemed correct for the balance of sweet/salt for the salmon.

d) The 3:1 sugar/salt brined fish didn't seem to take on the smoke as well, even though we 'spiked it up' with extra hickory. The smoke flavor in the 50/50 brined fish was more pleasant and a little stronger ...without being too strong either. Nicely balanced.

e) Skin on versus off didn't make any difference that we could detect except that you had to peel the skin off when eating one but the other was ready to eat right out of the jar.

f) The 3:1 sugar/salt fish produced less oil/water in the finished product (about 1/4 full in the bottom of the jar) while the 50/50 brine produced a finished product that ran from 1/2 to 2/3rds full of oil/water. We like the extra liquid and it makes making our favorite dip easier (1 bar of soft cream cheese plus 1/2 pint of smoked/canned salmon plus the liquid from the salmon plus sour cream as necessary to make the dip have the right texture ...and we shoot a bit of tabasco into it as a finishing touch.)

NONE of the attempts produced canned salmon as soft as we'd like, and so far nobody has convinced us that it is even possible to produce a softer canned salmon product. Note that we were canning reds mostly, but the silvers turn out about the same.

OUR SELECTION: 50/50 brown sugar/salt liquid brine for 4 hours, skin off, 1 to 2 hours of smoke with 75% alder plus 25% hickory.

Anyone know how to make a SOFT canned/smoked salmon?

Thanks,
                      Brian

Comment

Only thing I have to add is White Wine Vinegar. Huck it in the brine next time and see how you like it, bet you'll keep it in your recipe!
                        Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Comment

8 hours in 2 liters of root beer and 2 cups of salt. Let sit until a good pellicle forms 4-8 hrs. Smoke over maple chips for about 4 or 5 hours at 190 degrees. An easy and really good recipe.

Comment

cold smoke help please!

just joined and not really good at this yet...I hope this works, here goes: I'm looking for help with cold smoking arctic char, any suggestions? Saw the dry rub recipe from fishMD and want to know if it's good for cold smoking...help! and thanks!

Comment

conservationgirl,

I use a simple dry brine of brown sugar and table salt an have for several years. The sugar isn't just for flavor, it really extracts moisture. After brining I rinse the pieces in water and air dry on a rack to get a tacky surface. That step is the most important. When warm smoking I brush some maple syrup or honey on the tacky fish and let it dry again for a while. I don't think there's a right or wrong. Experiment a little and find what you like.

Comment

cold smoking

Thanks Mr. Pid - so the same brines can be used between cold and hot (and warm) smoking? I'm told arctic char is best smoked cold - approximately how long would I smoke it for? (in the digital Bradley smoker). Eventuallly I'd like to try it with a cajun rub - know of any recipes for that? so many questions...so many fish to smoke...

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X