Cookin' beavertail ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cookin' beavertail ???

Just wonder if anyone has any suggestions on the best method for cooking beavertail ? Also is the meat as good eating as people claim ? Also what is the method for seperating the dark scaley skin from the meat prior to cooking? Thanks

Beaver Tail, now that is some fine eating.

I like to toast the tail over a campfire just to bubble up the skin. Really helps remove it.

Beaver tail soup is a favorite here, but sliced and fried or preboiled for a while then slightly fried is also very good.

Ah, you are making me hungry.:rolleyes:
    Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Comment

Originally posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
      Just wonder if anyone has any suggestions on the best method for cooking beavertail ? Also is the meat as good eating as people claim ?.....
      1) The best method is to boil it with an old boot, and when done, throw away the beavertail and eat the boot

2) No, it is not as good eating as people claim

Comment

tend to disagree

I respectfully disagree with Mark, perhaps it was how the tail was cooked, or how it was taken care of in the field. Just a little castor leaking on the tail will taint it to where it is not edible.

And beware...if you choose to fry it up as for cracklings, it will have a tendency to jump right out of the pan :eek:

Comment

Mark, now that is funny, "an old boot", lol.

AlaskaGrandma, now your method for cookin' beavertail sounds like it would be a real Alaskan treat. Next time I trap or shoot a beaver I will have to try it. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Grandma View Post
            I respectfully disagree with Mark, perhaps it was how the tail was cooked, or how it was taken care of in the field.......
            Your respectful disagreement is respectfully accepted. I actually didn't eat it.

I couldn't get past the visual after trying to skin it. It looked like pure gristle.

Then I figured people meant the rump when raving about "beavertail", so I bbq'd the rear quarters and threw the tail out.

It wasn't that bad................but it wasn't that great, either.........

The bottom line was that I didn't know what I was doing..........

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
              Your respectful disagreement is respectfully accepted. I actually didn't eat it.

I couldn't get past the visual after trying to skin it. It looked like pure gristle.

Then I figured people meant the rump when raving about "beavertail", so I bbq'd the rear quarters and threw the tail out.

It wasn't that bad................but it wasn't that great, either.........

The bottom line was that I didn't know what I was doing..........
              Well, there ya go, and that is why we have this forum and the pantry to share the things we do know :rolleyes:

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Grandma View Post
                Beaver Tail, now that is some fine eating.

I like to toast the tail over a campfire just to bubble up the skin. Really helps remove it.

Beaver tail soup is a favorite here, but sliced and fried or preboiled for a while then slightly fried is also very good......
                So it isn't just gristle?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                  So it isn't just gristle?
                  Gristle? Oh no, it is meat, really rich meat and falls off the bone like butter…when it is cooked right. :cool:

Comment

Well, I'll just have to try it again. I'll probably do the open fire trick to help get that leathery, scaly skin off................

Comment

I getting really hungry for some beavertail! Wonder if the beavers are making holes in the pond ice and coming out for some fresh feed yet?

:w00t:
                      Grandma Lori

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X