Retort Bags Pressure Canning Smoked Salmon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retort Bags Pressure Canning Smoked Salmon

Looking for any advice. I am set up with a VP215 and All American 921 to start. I am planning on cold smoking salmon for around 4 hours, then transferring to retort pouches, next canner.

Skin on or off in bags?
    How long and what weight for pressure canner?
    Do you put anything else in the pouch for taste?
    How many bags will fit into canner?

Any help would be great

Go over to Alaska butcher supply, if your in anchorage, They have a pretty good write up on how to do the retort bags.

Comment

I have done retort bags for a couple of years now and there is certainly a bit of a learning curve with them. I usually have a couple of bags fail each time but not a big deal as they can be eaten right out of the caner.

1) Skin on or off is person preference. The bags will give you the same taste and flavor as if you are using a jar. I prefer skin off as the skin gives them a stronger flavor than I like.
      2) For weight and time I would call Alaska butcher supply. When I was getting started they had a hand out that was pretty helpful. I do mine in a 20 qt caner with 3 qts cold water, allow to steam for 10 minutes before cooking at 15lb for 100 minutes.
      3) This is pretty much the same as number one. I have used onion, garlic, jalapeno, oil and a few different spice combinations. All were good but plain seems to be the most popular with my family.
      4) I can usually fit around 18-20 of the 8oz size bags. Larger bags of course will be less.

Things to keep in mind.
      Weighing the fish to make sure it is 8oz or less for 8oz bags will reduce the bag failure rate. The more you put in the bag the higher chance of the bag breaking.
      When taking the bags out of the caner they will look bloated. When they are cooled they will again look like they are vacuum sealed.
      I use a steamer tray on top of my bags to keep them from blocking the vent. When the bags swell one or two will pop up to the top of the caner.

Comment

here is a good post with some pictures and good information.

https://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com...retort-canning

Comment

I did sole using butcher supply's info. Worked great only had 1 bag fail. One think I learned is to put a metal grate on top of them like already mentioned so they sont push on the top of the canner or block the vent. I tell ya what bringing those bags of salmon out camping ice fishing or weeks long caribou hunt is awesome. I would throw the bag in the jet boil to warm it up before eating it and it was awesome. Bring along some pilot bread to spread it on and you got a meal to fill up on. <br/><br/>Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk<br/><br/>
          I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
          but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

Thanks for the input. Yes, already have the AK Butchers notes, which were helpful. Hearing from the users directly after their trials is always good.

How much oil is usually added?

If you put 18 bags in at a time for canning, appox how many filets would that be?

I know pretty technical, but OCD here...

Comment

One tip that has worked for me is this.<br/>The bags need to be packed tightly to avoid over expansion and ruptured bags.<br/>Problem is you might not always have enough for a full load.<br/>So I bought a cheap cooking pot at a thrift store that fits inside my canner.<br/>Then I removed the handle(s).<br/>Now I have a smaller pot I can pack tightly with smaller batches of fish.
              "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

Originally posted by wilsonsmw View Post
                Thanks for the input. Yes, already have the AK Butchers notes, which were helpful. Hearing from the users directly after their trials is always good. <br/><br/>How much oil is usually added?<br/><br/>If you put 18 bags in at a time for canning, appox how many filets would that be?<br/><br/>I know pretty technical, but OCD here...
                I dont add any oil. If you do 18 bags that's 144 ounces of salmon (8oz bags) so you could weigh your frozen fillets and get close that way I guess. <br/><br/>Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk<br/><br/>
                I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
                but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                Working...
                X