Get your Taps in the Birch trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get your Taps in the Birch trees

Sap started flowing at my place yesterday, the 14th. Having some refreshing Birch water now. Enjoy the health benefits.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

We put ours in yesterday. No sap this morning yet.

Comment

I love tapping birch trees. Great tonic. I love the syrup too, just takes a long time to boil it down. I tried making birch beer a couple times. It was pretty good, but the alcohol content was a little too strong because there was too much sugar to react with the yeast.

Comment

I love making birch syrup.
        I'm going to miss it this year due to my work schedule.
        But fortunately I still have a gallon or two at the house from previous years.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

"The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

How many gallons of birch water does it take to make a quart of syrup?

Comment

Originally posted by Gerberman View Post
            How many gallons of birch water does it take to make a quart of syrup?
            It depends on the brix (sugar) content of your sap.
            Birch ranges from ~86 for most of mine to as much as 120 for other people.
            So a good average is 100:1 or 100 gallons sap to a gallon of syrup.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

"The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

I don't make syrup with mine. I simply drink it. It looks like water. Has a hint of sweetness. Loaded with minerals. Has a lot of reported health benefits. I freeze as many jugs as I can for use later. Once the flowing sap starts appearing cloudy, it's time to pull your tap. The tree will heal itself.

Comment

I'll be tapping a tree out at my cabin next trip out. That's where I get my spring drinking water.

Comment

Sap is flowing in the Palmer area. Up to a gallon/day per tree.

Comment

Pulled my taps yesterday. Since the leaves are coming on, the sap was getting cloudy, a little bitter, and really slowing down. We drank gallons of that stuff. Man, that stuff comes out of the ground COLD!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X