This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite salmon recipes

We have a good thread on halibut recipes so I thought I'd start one on favorite salmon dishes. Mine is simple, and I'd like to branch out.

On the grill -

Salmon filet patted dry with paper towel

Over the filet -

-generous dousing (or inject) with lemon juice
    -generous dousing with lemon pepper
    -onion slices
    -several pats of butter along highest points of filet

Grill till juices start appearing bubbling through thick part of filet.

We also like simply spreading and injecting ranch dressing on/in a silver or red filet.
    Last edited by AKmud; 10-01-2006, 23:52.
    AKmud
    sigpic

The porcupine is a peaceful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I hear this is a great recipe, I still have to take it for a test run though.

I was at Costco one day and a lady in line was telling me her "secret" salmon recipe. Costco sells a marinade that is a rasberry chipotle sauce. She would put the salmon steaks into a glass pyrex dish and generously cover the steaks with this sauce and bake it at 350*. It sounds mouth watering considering the marinade is some good stuff.
    sigpic

Comment

Just came up with a new recipe tonight with a fresh silver fillet.

1 or 2 salmon fillets cut into 2 or 3 pieces each
      olive oil
      2 Tbsp creamy italian dressing
      1/2 medium small sweet onion, minced
      1/3-1/2 medium tomato chopped in small pieces
      1 Tbsp fresh minced garlic (garlic powder will do...not as good though)
      1/2 tsp oregano
      basil
      parsley
      1 tsp onion salt
      1/2 tsp red pepper
      dash of white pepper

Large frying pan....just cover the bottom with olive oil, place all ingredients in olive oil and cook on medium for 5 minutes.....add salmon and cook on each side for about 8 minutes or until done to taste.

This was made up as I went along and these are guesses as to actual amounts....I rarely measure anything. It was great. You can also add about 1/3 of white wine when you add the salmon.

Brian

Comment

The Salmon Recepie

This is my favorite top secret recepie. I lightly smoke salmon filets with apple or alder wood. The filet is seasoned with sea salt, garlic and lemon pepper. Then mayonaise is spread on it then Tiger Sauce. Garnish with slices of lemon and chopped chives. Place the filet on the grill skin side down. I put water in a small cast iron pan and let it steam into the fish. If you want you can put wood chips in the pan instead of smoking the fish but let them saok for 30 minutes before cooking the fsh. Don't over cook it. Slide the meat off the skin with a spatula and feed the skin to what ever will eat it. I lightly smoke quite a few filets every year and vac pac them. Then we enjoy them all winter.

Comment

Salmon Fettuccine. . .

SALMON FETTUCCINE WITH CAPERS
          1 pint canned salmon, drained and flaked
          8 oz. fettuccine pasta or spinach fettuccine pasta, uncooked
          2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
          1/2 cup sour cream
          1/2 cup milk or half-and-half
          2 tbsp. drained capers
          1 tbsp. chopped fresh dill (or 1 tsp. dried)
          1 tbsp. chopped fresh tarragon ( or 1 tsp. dried)
          1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
          freshly ground black pepper

Prepare fettuccine according to package directions. Toss salmon with lemon juice and set aside. Combine sour cream and milk in a large deep skillet; heat over medium heat. Add capers, dill and tarragon; heat through, stirring frequently. Drain pasta; add to skillet, tossing well. Add cheese and salmon mixture, tossing lightly. Arrange on four serving plates, sprinkle with pepper. Serve with additional cheese if desired.

Makes 4 servings.

Comment

Weird...

I stumbled upon this interesting recipe. Who will be the first to give it a shot?

Cooking Salmon in a Dishwasher

Needs:

salmon fillets
            aluminum foil
            a lemon
            a few butter pats
            electric dishwasher

Place the fish on two large sheets of aluminum foil. Squeeze on some lemon juice and place the pats of butter on the salmon fillets. Seal the fillets well in the foil, and place the foil packet in the top wire basket of your electric dishwasher. DO NOT ADD SOAP OR DETERGENT. Close the dishwasher door, set the dishwasher on the hottest wash cycle, complete with drying cycle, and let it run through a full cycle. When the cycle is complete the fish will be cooked just right.
            sigpic

Comment

I only like this for fresh salmon, ie day I caught it, or the day after, not nearly as good with thawed frozen salmon.

Fillets of one red, or 1 fillet of a silver or king.

1 stick butter
              1 lemon, juiced
              5 cloves garlic
              2 T diced fresh dill
              combign softened butter with lemon, dill and garlic. Put in the fridge the firm up, I lay it out on some parchement paper.

Place fillet(s) skin side down on a foil coverd bbq grill. I cook over birch or alder, burn the logs down to coals. Cut slabs of the seasoned butter and put on the fillets. Cook until the thickest part of the fillet just firms up, ie color just lightens and serve with rice and Alaskan amber.

It absolutely melts in your mouth!
              Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

dishwasher

W_Gremlin,
                My co-worker says he does the dw think with halibut as well. Sounds bland & seems like it would be a lot easier to grill it. Let us know how it tastes.

I like to take an untreated cedar or alder plank & soak in water for an hour, then put it on the grill on high heat for 5 minutes. Take salmon put a few slits in put some brown sugar in them, sprinkle on cajun seasoning & the standard others if you like place on hot plank & grill on medium heat for 10-15 minutes. One thing you have to watch the grill as 1 of every 3 planks will catch & start burning. Just open the grill & put out flame with a small spray bottle.

Comment

yummy!

With my abilities being what they are I have found simple
                  usually turns out better for me....

Take a gallon ziploc bag, pour in a goodly splash of olive oil, add a
                  smidgen of soy sauce, then add a couple few shakes of McCormicks
                  Montreal Steak seasoning. Put in a whole fillet, skinned or not,
                  let soak for 10-15 minutes, grill just until changes color.

I usually flip mine over for a couple minutes and serve.

Now, with my skill with a spatula, I have found larger fillets are
                  best cut in half or thirds.

Enjoy!

Comment

few fillets of salmon in 4 to 1 lime to tequila shots. bake 350 in oven for no more then 20 minutes. UMMM
                    Living the Alaskan Dream
                    Gary Keller
                    Anchorage, AK

Comment

Salmon With Basil Cream Sauce

I have made this recipe for family and friends many times. It always goes over well. The sauce is divine, so I usually double the recipe in that regard. ENJOY!!

Salmon With Basil Cream Sauce

Ingredients:

2 lbs. salmon fillets
                      1 1/2 T unsalted butter
                      3 shallots, peeled and minced
                      1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
                      1 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
                      1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
                      3/4 cup dry white wine
                      1/3 cup light cream
                      1 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
                      1/4 t freshly ground white pepper
                      1/4 t salt, or to taste

Cut the salmon into 6 equal serving pieces, wash and pat dry on
                      paper towels. Melt the butter in a large skillet over
                      medium-high heat. Sear the salmon on each side for about 2 to
                      3 minutes, keeping the center slightly rare since the fish will
                      continue to cook after it is taken from the pan. Remove the
                      fish from the pan with a slotted spatula and keep warm. Reduce
                      the heat to low and add the shollots and garlic to the pan.
                      Saute, stirring frquently, for 5 minutes.

Add the basil, parsley, wine, cream, lemon juice, pepper and
                      salt to the pan and cook over medium heat, stirring
                      frequently, until the mixture is reduced by half. Taste for
                      seasoning, adding pepper and salt as needed.

To serve, reheat the fish slightly in the sauce and then serve
                      the sauce around the salmon fillets.
                      "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." Theodore Roosevelt, 1913

Comment

Beer Battered Salmon

You would not belive the number of people that have not tried Beer Battered Salmon. I have found that Negra Modelo, a Dark Mexican Ale, makes an exquisite Beer Batter.
                        "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." Theodore Roosevelt, 1913

Comment

Great Alaska Salmon Bake Recipe...Shhhhh! Don't tell anyone!

Well, I think it is anyway LOL. Just grilled up some VERY FRESH dipnetted reds last week and this recipe was to die for. Folks were saying restaurants don't do it this good!

Alaska Salmon Bake Recipe

1 stick butter, melted
                          1/4 C brown sugar
                          1/4 C soy sauce
                          1/2 t dill weed
                          1/8 t cayenne
                          juice of 1/2 lemon

Combine all ingredients. Brush over salmon (enough for about 1 1/2-2 pounds). Marinate about an hour. Grill salmon over wood fire or hot coals, basting frequently with marinade.

Comment

Honestly I think so long as you don't overcook fresh salmon, it's about impossible to mess it up. A squeze of lime, a bit of fresh dill a splash of olive oil and baked or bbq works wonders.

Another recipe I like I refer to as Kodiak style, as that's where I learned it. Combine catchup, soy sauce, brown sugar and some mustard, and brush on fillets. Bake until just firm and enjoy. Can't help on the proportions of the sauce, within reasons it doesn't matter, just don't get too carried away with any one ingredient.

Later in the year when you need to be a bit more inventive, it's time for Salmon tacos, salmon stir fry, or battered and fried salmon.

Leftovers are great for salmon patties, combine with some rice if leftover, bread crumbs, some corn meal, a few eggs, dice up some onions, grate in some parmesian cheese, and maybe a bit of mayo and tobasco. Mush togteher, pick out the bones, form into paddies and cook up in some olive oil in a cast iron skillet. They go great with breakfast and some runny side up eggs and hashbrowns, or as a snack or meal for lunch and dinner.
                            Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

grilled herbed salmon

1/2 cup butter
                              1/3 cup lemon juice
                              2 tablespoons minced parsley
                              1-1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
                              1-1/2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
                              1 teaspoon dried oregano
                              1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
                              1/4 teaspoon salt
                              1/8 teaspoon pepper
                              1 salmon fillet (2-1/2 to 3 pounds and 3/4" thick)

In a saucepan, combine the first nine ingredients. Cook and stir over low heat until butter is melted: set aside. Coat grill rack with nonstick cokking spray before starting grill. Place salmon skin side down on grill. Grill, covered, over medium hot heat for 5 minutes. Baste with butter sauce. Grill 10-15 minutes longer or until fish flakes easily with a fork, basting frequently. makes 6-8 servings.
                              www.alaskahydrographics.com

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X