This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

blackened salmon

We used to always fillet out king salmon (my husband is a troller, so there is no other kind of salmon in our freezer ) but since we bought a meat saw, we ALWAYS steak it. There is less meat wasted, and a 1 1/4" steak is just right for two people and there is NO waste.

He has been blackening it lately. Melt butter and coat each side of the steak with melted butter. Let it cool then cover with blackened seasoning. Cook both sides in cast iron and devour.

He also barbeque smokes it over briquettes with alder or apple wood. It is THE best. (this is also wonderful for backstrap!)

Comment

My wife's treat:
      I normally prepare most of the dinner items in our house. I enjoy culinary diversions and enjoy the zen of food prep. Anyway, last night my wife cooked using a recipe that she tried at a friend's house. It was pretty tasty and amazingly simple. Here it is:

4 (5-oz.) salmon fillets
      4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
      Black and white or toasted sesame seeds
      1 1/2 cup Yoshida's Hawaiian Sweet & Sour Sauce
      1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

Directions:
      Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Brush tops of salmon fillets with Dijon mustard and roll in sesame seeds. Roast in oven for approximately 10 minutes. Combine Yoshida's Hawaiian Sweet & Sour Sauce with balsamic vinegar in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Drizzle over or around the cooked salmon.

I enjoy balsamic reductions with a variety of things but Yoshida's combined with the balsamic was awesome! I'm going to play around with the combo tonight with some beets and asparagus.

Super easy, super yummy, use the salmon up before it gets freezer burn!
      ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
      just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Comment

Anyone got any new recipes? This one hasn't been update in a while. I got a bunch of fresh reds I want to try some different things with.
        Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Comment

No recipe title sorry but this is the way my wife likes reds the best...

i do this with reds, silvers, and works great with grouse too

take ziplock bags and put bite size chunks in with enough olive oil to marinade
          little tony c's, season all salt, or lowry's (i like tony c's for the little bit of bite it gives)
          any type of garlic rub (i've tried like 4-5 different dried rubs)
          a little dry mustard
          marinade for 4 or more hours turning ziplock bag regularly and spreading the goodness around
          preheat grill or skillet to a high temp
          poor on meat with all drippings straight out of bag
          cook hard on one side then turn over and lightly cook opposite side (with red meat i make it a little crispy on both sides)

serve it up

and thanks twodux for the pickled recipe!!!!

Comment

Mine is super simple and super quick-
            I usually don't wait for my salmon filets to thaw. I melt about a half a stick of butter in the pan. Add Filets. On top of filets I add the following: garlic powder, onion powder, cover top of fish lightly with dried cilantro, chop a teaspoon of fresh dill, add on top, then place fish on med heat and cover with foil until the underside of fish is browned, then lower temp of burner and replace foil and wait for that side to brown. Garnish with fresh lemon juice & serve Tastes wonderful and you don't miss the salt!

Comment

Can't believe nobody's posted on here in almost a year!

Take some Wishbone Russian Dressing and marinate your salmon fillet(skin on) anywhere from 10 mins...to 24hrs. Add some salt and pepper to tast an grill up. Use the indirect heat from the grill and do not flip fillet. Add a little more dressing a little before it's done and serve. Salmon should come right off the skin. I call it Marek's Famous BBQ Salmon, some call it yum!

Fish On!

Anyone have something new to share?
              Click image for larger version

Name:	261572_130316657049650_100002139484602_219117_1862278_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	2480309
              You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Comment

Mayo, Dijon mustard, onions, lee and perrins sause, spices(anything spicy) and mix all in a big bowl
                Brush the mixture all over the fillets and wrap in tinfoil and cook up on fire or grill! Yum.

Bake with lemon pepper, pepper and some butter. Keep it simple
                -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
                -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
                -Local 907 Riders Union
                http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by DocEsox View Post
                  Just came up with a new recipe tonight with a fresh silver fillet.

1 or 2 salmon fillets cut into 2 or 3 pieces each
                  olive oil
                  2 Tbsp creamy italian dressing
                  1/2 medium small sweet onion, minced
                  1/3-1/2 medium tomato chopped in small pieces
                  1 Tbsp fresh minced garlic (garlic powder will do...not as good though)
                  1/2 tsp oregano
                  basil
                  parsley
                  1 tsp onion salt
                  1/2 tsp red pepper
                  dash of white pepper

Large frying pan....just cover the bottom with olive oil, place all ingredients in olive oil and cook on medium for 5 minutes.....add salmon and cook on each side for about 8 minutes or until done to taste.

This was made up as I went along and these are guesses as to actual amounts....I rarely measure anything. It was great. You can also add about 1/3 of white wine when you add the salmon.

Brian
                  I tried this recipe tonight with a red and without a doubt it was the best salmon to ever pass my lips. Top job with your recipe! It's not very often I enjoy my own cooking but this was dam good.
                  sigpic

Comment

Always a big hit and different way of enjoying salmon:
                    Salmon Pie
                    Ingredients:
                    1 pie shell
                    2 cups salmon
                    cup sour cream
                    cup green onion
                    Dill to taste
                    2 cups Cheddar Cheese
                    Small Can mushrooms
                    2-3 Eggs

Mix all ingredients and place in pie pan with shell.

Bake 350 degrees: 25 minutes for pre-cooked salmon
                    60 minutes for raw salmon

Comment

This is a tradition everytime I go fishing and I look forward too it each time..
                      The ingredients and amounts are based on one fillet. Depending on the size fish, two people per fillet.

I take softened butter(normally 2-3 tbspn) and mix 2 tsp garlic powder, 2 tsp onion powder, pepper(dependent on how much you like pepper), a couple grinds of sea salt and stir it in the butter. Spread the butter mixture thinly over the fillet, sprinkle some dill over the fillet, a couple slices of lemon and onion on top... wrap in foil and place on hot coals.. Fish should be cooked just right within 10 minutes or so...

Comment

This is stolen from another site, but this is probably my favorite way to have salmon besides smoked.

Firecracker
                        • 8 (4 ounce) fillets salmon
                        • 1/2 cup peanut oil
                        • 4 tablespoons soy sauce
                        • 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
                        • 4 tablespoons green onions, chopped
                        • 3 teaspoons brown sugar
                        • 2 cloves garlic, minced
                        • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
                        • 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
                        • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
                        • 1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Place salmon filets in a medium, nonporous glass dish. In a separate medium bowl, combine the peanut oil, soy sauce, vinegar, green onions, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, sesame oil and salt. Whisk together well, and pour over the fish. Cover and marinate the fish in the refrigerator for 4 to 6 hours.
                        2. Prepare an outdoor grill with coals about 5 inches from the grate, and lightly oil the grate.
                        3. Grill the fillets 5 inches from coals for 10 minutes per inch of thickness, measured at the thickest part, or until fish just flakes with a fork. Turn over halfway through cooking.

Comment

Prep Time:
                          15 Min

Cook Time:
                          30 Min

Ready In:
                          45 Min

Original Recipe Yield 6 servings

Ingredients

• 1 (2 pound) salmon fillet
                          • 1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
                          • 1 teaspoon onion salt
                          • 1 small onion, sliced and separated into rings
                          • 6 slices lemon
                          • 1/4 cup butter, cut into small chunks
                          • 1/3 cup sourcream
                          • 1/3 cup mayonnaise
                          • 1/4 cup dry white wine
                          • 1 tablespoon capers
                          • 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
                          • 1 tablespoon caper brine
                          • 1 teaspoon lemonjuice
                          • 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
                          • 3/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
                          • 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
                          • ground black pepper to taste

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil; grease the foil lightly.
                          2. Place salmon fillet with skin side down on foil. Season salmon with lemon-pepper and onion salt; top with onion rings and lemon slices, dot with butter. Fold foil around salmon and seal tightly.
                          3. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Unseal the foil and turn the oven's broiler on. Continue cooking the salmon under the broiler until the flesh flakes easily with a fork, 8 to 12 minutes.
                          4. While the salmon bakes, stir sour cream, mayonnaise, white wine, capers, chopped onion, caper brine, lemon juice, horseradish, dill weed, garlic salt, and black pepper together in a bowl. Serve with the salmon.

The best recipe we have tried

Comment

Cheeky, is that Salmon Illiamna?

Great first post I think I'll try your recipe; thanks & +1.

Comment

grilled salmon

1/2 cube real butter melted
                              2 tablespoons lemon juice
                              1 tablespoon soy sauce
                              1 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 clove fresh minced garlic
                              1 teaspoon dill weed
                              1 teaspoon seasoned salt
                              1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
                              1-2 salmon fillets
                              1 pre-soaked cedar board

Mix all ingredients except salmon fillets. Let stand, stirring occasionally. Mixture should become kind of gelled. Brush or pour on salmon fillets. Cook over grill on pre-soaked (at least one hour) cedar boards on the grill or in oven until the salmon flakes and is done.

Comment

Easy Pesto Salmon

Just spread a thin layer of pesto on top of your salmon and bake as ususal. You can also use sun dried tomatoe pesto (instead of regular pesto) and add just a touch of dried lemon peel. Both are favorites around our house, we cheat and use jarred pesto, both are available at local grocery store. Best on silvers and kings, have yet tried it on halibut.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X