Moose heart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moose heart

I eat quite a bit of deer heart, but I don't remember ever eating moose heart.

Any good ideas out there for this chunk of meat?
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Dice it up with liver...

& slow cook it with cream of mushroom soup...throw in some onions (shallots are best) & VIOLA! Best soup for you! NEXT!

Comment

Pickled heart...

Find your favorite pickling recipe and slice your hearts into that mixture. Pickled hearts make a great snack; beef or wild game should please you. I prefer my spice in this one on the sweet side...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com
      "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Comment

Originally posted by SoggyMountain View Post
        I eat quite a bit of deer heart, but I don't remember ever eating moose heart.

Any good ideas out there for this chunk of meat?

Then you will love moose, as moose are deer also.
        "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Grilled!

Over a charcoal fire that is, and slathered in barbeque sauce. That is how I first had it (a non-organ meat person) and it was delicious. That was on the beach not more than 4 hours after the kill. Mmmmmm. Tasty!

Comment

Boil it for a hour or so, let it cool and use it for sandwich meat. Thin sliced onions, salt & pepper...oh! makes my mouth water.

Comment

Moose heart....

Cooked slow in about 1/2 cup water with onions and sliced bell pepper. If you are still in hunting camp gather up some wild mustard greens along with the tops of the yellow flowers to use instead of the onions and pepper. Once the water is cooked off (about 1/2 hour) add a handfull of diced kidney fat and turn up the heat to brown. Add a little black pepper,, a dash of salt and serve with homemade highbush cranberry ketchup sauce.

Grandma Lori
              If God had intended us to follow recipes,
              He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Comment

Grandma... if I was in the field, and you were cooking, I'd sample that.

I'm at home, with no deer hearts left, but a gifted moose heart.

Big Al .... lol! "I'll do it my way"
                "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Comment

Alas...

Originally posted by SoggyMountain View Post

I'm at home, with no deer hearts left, but a gifted moose heart.
                  ...the gifted moose lives no longer.
                  A loss to all of mundane moosedom. Eat it well, Soggy.

Comment

Stuffed heart

I have a couple of recipe books where you stuff the heart with bread crumbs/cubes and veggies - so it ends up like stuffing. We have kind of merged them together and it is wonderful! I will have to look that up for you.

Comment

Some of these recipes sound really good! I like the charcoal fire, (not with BBQ sauce though) and also the boiled sandwich meat... that really surprises me cause I am not a boiled meat fan excepting stew...

The stuffed heart has me interested big time!

But... keep em coming!!

Comment

From ADF&G

http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/index...rticles_id=319

Comment

Thanks for the link Mauser...

I only have 1/2 a heart, but, I also have some veggies left from a pot roast I made the other day....

Given the above ideas, my pre-existing cooked ingredients, and a whole onion, I do believe I have tomorrow's dinner in the makings!

Heart is thawing as I type.

Comment

Given the above ideas, and the fact that I only had/have 1/2 a heart I...

1. Chopped 3 potatoes and browned them with light salt and pepper

2. Sliced a whole onion (Yellow) and browned it... in the same pan as the potatoes - then, placed them both in a pan together.

3. Seared my heart in the hot pan with salt, pepper, fried garlic and basil.

4. Dumped potatoes and onions in Cast Iron pan ontop and around heart.

5. Covered and placed in oven for an hour and 20 minutes at 250.

6. Added precooked celery and carrots from previous pot roast...

..... It is still cooking but, I'll let you know how good it tastes in the next post!

Comment

Hart makes wonderful chilli and Pasty's too.(Pasty= little meat pie created by finish miners in Michigans upper peninsula)
                              BHA Member
                              Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
                              The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X