Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to canning salmon

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New to canning salmon

    I'm new to canning salmon, I read somewhere that you could brine salmon in a flavor filled solution for 24 hours then can it...I was wondering if this is a good idea? The article didn't give the recipe for the brine or how to do it. Can anyone help please?

  • #2
    Angie,

    I don't think marinating fish is necessary to flavor it. I've added lots of ingredients to salmon to play with the flavor. Just season in the jar before you put the lid on. Garlic, lemon pepper, onion, liquid smoke, stc. I found that I prefer to just use table salt or Lawry's seasoned salt and then I can doctor up the fish to suit the use after I open a jar. Most of my fish is made into spreads, used in casseroles, or made into salmon patties. I like the canned fish to be versatile so I've found it better to season the recipe rather than the ingredient.

    I also can smoked salmon. I prep the smoked fish as normal with a dry brine but don't smoke it as long or cook it off as I would smoked fish that isn't to be canned. I always add a few jalepeno slices to those jars since it'll usually get eaten as it is, rather than in a recipe. It does make excellent spreads for sandwiches and crackers, though.

    Don't be afraid to experiment.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Mr. Pid View Post
      Angie,

      I don't think marinating fish is necessary to flavor it. I've added lots of ingredients to salmon to play with the flavor. Just season in the jar before you put the lid on. Garlic, lemon pepper, onion, liquid smoke, stc. I found that I prefer to just use table salt or Lawry's seasoned salt and then I can doctor up the fish to suit the use after I open a jar. Most of my fish is made into spreads, used in casseroles, or made into salmon patties. I like the canned fish to be versatile so I've found it better to season the recipe rather than the ingredient.

      I also can smoked salmon. I prep the smoked fish as normal with a dry brine but don't smoke it as long or cook it off as I would smoked fish that isn't to be canned. I always add a few jalepeno slices to those jars since it'll usually get eaten as it is, rather than in a recipe. It does make excellent spreads for sandwiches and crackers, though.

      Don't be afraid to experiment.
      I agree with Mr.Pid! Raw pack salmon canning needs very few spices. I would rather spice it later depending on what recipe I am making with it. In the smoked canned salmon I also add a few Hot Thai Peppers (don't grow much jalepeno's). The peppers compliment the fish and add a nice flavor. Great right out of the jar!

      Grandma Lori
      If God had intended us to follow recipes,
      He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

      Comment


      • #4
        Here's a link to a pdf file for a UAF booklet called Add Variety to Home Canned Fish. Might prove helpful.

        Comment


        • #5
          Success

          After tasting some awesome canned kippered salmon from a friend a few weeks ago, I took the plunge and decided to expand my salmon-preserving repertoire a bit. You can only freeze so many fillets before you go nuts. Even smoked, then frozen... So I researched and invested in a pressure canner.

          This last week I lightly smoked several fresh pink salmon fillets and canned up 11 small jars. They all sealed (drats), so I had to open one to try it! :-) Good stuff.

          I'm excited to try the jalapeņo idea, and look forward to canning many more things in the near future. The UAF info is an awesome resource. This forum ain't so bad, neither. Thanks!
          Palmer, Alaska
          "There are some things money can buy. For everything else, there's ALASKA!" :cool:

          Comment


          • #6
            Jalapeno Question?

            When using Jalapenos would you use sliced fresh ones or ones like you would eat on nachos from a can or a jar?

            Comment


            • #7
              Good question! I was thinking of just using fresh sliced peppers, but does anyone know if it makes a difference? Fun stuff!
              Palmer, Alaska
              "There are some things money can buy. For everything else, there's ALASKA!" :cool:

              Comment


              • #8
                This weekend I put up 12 jars. I put a chipolte pepper in the bottom of 6, half of a fresh jalepeno in the bottom of 2, and the other 4 had costco's lemon pepper in the bottom. I haven't tried the jalapeno or lemon pepper yet but the chipolte basically added a hint of smoke and a tad of spice if you think hard enough. Not as tasty as I suspected.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by trochilids View Post
                  Good question! I was thinking of just using fresh sliced peppers, but does anyone know if it makes a difference? Fun stuff!
                  I've always used jalepenos from a jar because we always seem to have them around. The only time I add peppers is when canning smoked fish. My smoked fish is a bit sweet so the hot peppers really work well. Lately I go with 5 or 6 slices in a pint jar. I don't add salt when canning smoked fish.

                  For unsmoked fish I prefer Lawry's and I use less than what's recommended (about 1/4 tsp per pint). We've always done it that way and have never had any problems. I like the seasoned salt a lot.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by francko View Post
                    When using Jalapenos would you use sliced fresh ones or ones like you would eat on nachos from a can or a jar?
                    Scalding hot jalapenos cool off when canned ...man, we canned some red-phreakin'-hot jalapenos one time and thought we'd give them out as a joke ...and nobody complained! As it turns out, they tasted mild like the ones from the store after pressure canning them. In any case, I now prefer not to use canned jalapenos in canned salmon, just fresh ones if you can get them (a very iffy proposition in Fairbanks.) Otherwise, tossing in one of those little crinkly red dried Thai peppers works fine as well.

                    Brian

                    Comment

                    Footer Adsense

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X