No announcement yet.

want to try smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks for the replies. I will do some frozen. we just got back from seward with halibut and still have some from last year, and in 2 weeks we head for the copper and we still have some salmon from last year

Comment

got a top load big chief, well, things went ok. smoked some salmon and it tasted great. made some errors I guess like not enough spray oil on racks because fish really stuck to the racks. smoked for over 12 hours. but dont know if that was enough, and I dont know how to test to know if really done. Also I think something like cookie cooling racks...something like a cross grid, to put on top of the main racks might be good as the fish wanted to go between the "rails". Then of course we wanted to vac pack rest of the fish but the stupid LEM vac packer that we only used about 50 fish ago last year died...so raced to costco and got a cheap vac sealer to get us through. gonna need to get a better one...a friend has a LEM chamber one...but that was out of our budget...over 550

Comment

Every month put some money aside if you can and buy a quality chamber sealer. They are worth their weight in gold. (maybe not quite, since my chamber sealer weighs about 60 pounds). When i take my salmon off the smoker it always seems a little soft and maybe not done. Once it cools down it firms up real nice then we seal it. It took me about 4 smoking sessions before i got down the brine we like, and the smoking time.
        I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
        but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

Chamber sealer? What's that? Post a picture please
          -Tim

Comment

thats what i use. MVS31X Minipac alaska butcher supply has everything you need.

Comment

How does that work? Are there bags?
              -Tim

Comment

I have the same machine and can't imagine being without it. Bags can be purchased from Alaska Butcher Supply and are a heck of a lot less money than the bags available in the grocery stores for the standard vac seal machines.
                Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Comment

As was said purchase bags from alaska butcher supply. They come with factory seal on one side, they come in many different thicknesses and sizes. We mostly use the 12"x8" 4 mil bags. One big difference between these bags and the normal vac bags are they are 4 mils thick for the entire bag unlike the regular vac bags. You just put your fillet or hunk of mean in a bag, put the entire bag inside of the chamber and over the seal bar close the lid and hit the button. You can have different settings for what ever type of meat your sealing. For all fish i have it pulling 99% of air out then it runs for an extra 10 seconds before it engages the seal bar. Another cool thing you can do with this sealer is seal fish or meat in retort bags (think the foil tuna bags you can buy at the store). Once you seal the fish in the retort bags you can then pressure cook them jsut like you would with salmon in jars. Bringing these 8oz bags for pressured cooked salmon on hunting trips tastes a hell of alot better then any mountain house you can find. also water or moisture has no effect on the these types of sealers because the entire bag is in the chamber so you dont have to worry about pulling liquid into the pump. I know some people who make soups/chili and will chamber seal bags full of them and bring those out on hunts also.

Comment

I like what you say about the moisture not being a problem. The cheap sealers are forever sucking liquid into the sealing area.
                    -Tim

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X