want to try smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• want to try smoking

have never smoked food that is. Would like to try, are those big chief and little cheif smokers any good. dont want to spend a lot right now. ..always cheap on craigslist

.some of the best smoked turkey, ham,deer and fish I ever had was from a guy who had a fire pit with a pipe going up hill to a little shack, he also made the best jerky I think I ever had. old guy...long gone

maybe some day I will get to that point, ,,the fire pit and shack...but for now …….

Originally posted by papabear3 View Post
    have never smoked food that is. Would like to try, are those big chief and little cheif smokers any good. dont want to spend a lot right now. ..always cheap on craigslist

.some of the best smoked turkey, ham,deer and fish I ever had was from a guy who had a fire pit with a pipe going up hill to a little shack, he also made the best jerky I think I ever had. old guy...long gone

maybe some day I will get to that point, ,,the fire pit and shack...but for now …….
    Many swear by the big/little chiefs. They do a pretty good job for sure. The way your friend did by piping in smoke is really the way to go. It's more of a cold smoke that way which is usually more desirable for fish. A couple years ago I bought a digital smoker and it does fantastic for meat and poultry, but it lacks doing fish. Mainly because it won't let the temp go down low enough and still keep the chips going. I can make it work, but I like a very low temp smoked fish. Can't really go wrong with the big/little chiefs. You may have to babysit them a bit more but that's kind of the nature of the beast it seems for fish...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Lots of smoker options out there. I'm still in the old school Big Chief crowd. If you go that route spend the extra bones for the top loader. The new front loaders don't have a stand alone rack for drying before smoking. Also, build a wind break and box it in. Works for me; I do the sockeye candy style.

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
        Many swear by the big/little chiefs. They do a pretty good job for sure. The way your friend did by piping in smoke is really the way to go. It's more of a cold smoke that way which is usually more desirable for fish. A couple years ago I bought a digital smoker and it does fantastic for meat and poultry, but it lacks doing fish. Mainly because it won't let the temp go down low enough and still keep the chips going. I can make it work, but I like a very low temp smoked fish. Can't really go wrong with the big/little chiefs. You may have to babysit them a bit more but that's kind of the nature of the beast it seems for fish...

Which one did you get? I’ve seen a really cool mod where you use a metal mailbox as a smokebox and pipe the smoke into the electric smoker with some dryer duct. Worked like a charm on my MES 40 for low temp smoking with fish and cheese.
        Originally posted by AGL4now
        Discovered that prayer helps sometimes. Also what a penis sheath looks like a few inches from my forehead.

Comment

Big chiefs are the simple way to go. Don't bother with the little chiefs because if you have more that 2.5 fish to smoke, you will need to do multiple batches. I use 2 Big chiefs at a time and can smoke up to 12 fish. If you want some recipes for brine and stuff, hit me up. Been smoking for over 40 years
          If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip? ALASKADIPNETTING.NET

Comment

yes it has been a year since posting, but I never did follow through on buying a smoker, Part of the reason was it was already getting cold out, the fish we had caught we had already frozen, The only things for sale locally was a masterbuilt...others were sold out. Did not want to go masterbuilt
            But I did just order a big chief top loader and it will get here by the time we get back from the chitna...but not in time for seward ( leave today).

Would be interested in recipes or point me in the direction

thanks

Comment

you can smoke fish after they have been frozen. Thats what i do. Last thing i want to do after fishing all weekend is deal with getting all the brine ready then drying and smoking them. Smoking fish takes about 3 days for me. Take them out of the freezer friday morning cut them into strips and brine friday night through saturday evening, then pull them out of the brine and put them on the smoker racks and put a fan on them over night then smoke them sunday morning. Really important to dry them until they are a little firmer (put your thumb to the bottom of your pinky and feel your palm thats about how i want the salmon to feel before i put them in the smoker) helps to give a crust and not smoke the fat out of the fillets. Smoke at 120 for 4 hours and their good to go.

my brine is couple gallons of water 2 pounds brown sugar soy sauce about 1/4 cup rock salt and couple teaspoons of daves insanity sauce. Sweet and spicy is how we like it.
              I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
              but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

First thing you need to get is a smoking jacket.
                Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Here's my set up. Old catering cart. It has a coil heater in the bottom. I installed a fan in the top to pull the smoke through. Use a little barbecue to burn alder. I use this to dry the fish first for 2 days then cold smoke for 12 hours 85-95 degrees. Holds about 50 fillets. In the spring I smoke our left over fish from the previous season. <br/><br/><br/><br/><br/>
                  -Tim

Comment

nice set up....a neighbor told me that a person does not thaw out fish and smoke it, said it wont hold texture...but obviously you do....so my neighbor must be full of it

Comment

Originally posted by papabear3 View Post
                      nice set up....a neighbor told me that a person does not thaw out fish and smoke it, said it wont hold texture...but obviously you do....so my neighbor must be full of it
                      I've always frozen mine first and smoked them later when time allowed. No issues.

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                      I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                      The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Same here, always freeze mine and smoke later on. I'd say your neighbor is full of it.
                        Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Comment

Yeah, I'd have to say that most people smoke fish that they have already frozen first. I know I do as well and like it just fine. But I must say, to my taste buds, you really can't beat fresh caught, never frozen, smoked salmon. No matter what, when you freeze a fish it's never quite the same as fresh. Every once in awhile when I have the time and energy, I try and treat myself and smoke fish that's just been swimming a few hours before. It's just better all the way around.....imo. Try it both ways and you'll probably be able to tell for yourself.
                          Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
                            Yeah, I'd have to say that most people smoke fish that they have already frozen first. I know I do as well and like it just fine. But I must say, to my taste buds, you really can't beat fresh caught, never frozen, smoked salmon. No matter what, when you freeze a fish it's never quite the same as fresh. Every once in awhile when I have the time and energy, I try and treat myself and smoke fish that's just been swimming a few hours before. It's just better all the way around.....imo. Try it both ways and you'll probably be able to tell for yourself.
                            Freeze them in the round and when you thaw it you'll have a tough time seeing or tasting any difference from a fresh one.
                            Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Yeah, no problem with texture on mine. Quite firm actually. Dip net reds.
                              -Tim

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X