No announcement yet.

Morels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be careful with verpa and other kinds of false morels. They can make you sick and cause lack of muscular coordination which could be a bad combo: crap like a goose but can't get to the toilet in time!

In Russia Verpa bohemica is a commercial species. It is usually sold frozen. No clinical cases have been registered within the Russian Federation concerning intoxications to this mushroom up to date. Despite that, the edibility of this species has been source of different opinions. Although Verpa bohemica is eaten by many, consumption of large amounts in a single sitting, or on successive days, has been reported to cause poisoning in susceptible individuals.[23] Symptoms include gastrointestinal upset and lack of muscular coordination, similar to the effects reported by some individuals after consuming the false morel species Gyromitra esculenta.[19] The responsible toxin in G. esculenta is gyromitrin; it was suspected that V. bohemica may be able to synthesize low levels of the toxin,[24] however, no experiments on V. bohemica have concluded that it contains any level of gyromitrin.[25] Over-consumption of the mushroom has been reported to have induced a coma.[26] Those who do wish to eat this species are often advised to parboil with copious quantities of water (discarding the water before consumption),[27] to dry the specimens before eating,[28]or, if eating for the first time, to restrict consumption to small portions to test their tolerance.[13] Some advocate only eating the caps and discarding the stems.[29] Opinions on the flavor of the mushrooms vary, ranging from "strong but not on a par with true morels",[30] to "pleasant",[18] to "not distinctive".[5]

Comment

I ended up finding enough to go with an evening meal and I gotta say they are GREAT tasting shrooms!!!! They were my first but not my last

Comment

I’ve gone out 2x with the family and have been doing pretty good last week we picked up 3 lbs, tried to leave the little ones but the kids are hard to control they are more leave no shrooms behind kind of pickers. We have had a few meals with them and dried and froze the rest. My wife doesn’t like mushrooms often but she likes morels.

Comment

Youngest daughter
          Attached Files

Comment

Went out yesterday and my family and I found 9 pounds!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1680.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	2757194

Name:	IMG_1681.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	2757195

Comment

Some nice sized ones too

Name:	IMG_1682.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	2757197

Comment

We found a few after striking out on our first go. Just looked for a hour or so. Much easier to find when you know where to look. One thing I have learned is they need very specific things to happen to pop up so if you find one search that area hard. I am sure that's common knowledge to most expert foragers though. How long do they keep popping for through out the summer? <br/><br/>Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk<br/><br/>
                I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
                but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                Working...
                X