Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Morels 2018

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    We struck out on our shrooming trip here on the peninsula Saturday.
    We guessed we we're a week or so early.
    Only found five false morels and they were small.
    Did see a nice old bull moose though.
    He was already starting to paddle out some.
    Might be legal this year.
    Some black bear and coyote scat and tracks.
    So while we didn't find any shrooms we did have fun, got some exercise, and saw some pretty country.
    Plus you can't find any sitting on your couch reading the forum.lol

    Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Brian M View Post
      I used vgy.me I ran into an issue with that site a month or two back where my browser said the site wasnt secure, but it was working for me last night.
      Oh, never mind. Thanks anyways Brian. I just tried it and now it works. Must be the website was currently down. Here are some morels I picked with Akhardwater about a week ago. My kids actually picked most of them. They were hard for me and my wife to pick out. But my daughter seems to be a natural shroom picker. She was finding them all over.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
        Oh, never mind. Thanks anyways Brian. I just tried it and now it works. Must be the website was currently down. Here are some morels I picked with Akhardwater about a week ago. My kids actually picked most of them. They were hard for me and my wife to pick out. But my daughter seems to be a natural shroom picker. She was finding them all over.
        Nice haul!

        Yeah, it's amazing how some people just have an eye for picking morels out of the litter on the forest floor. I was picking with my mother, and she is absolutely amazing at it. She grew up picking in rural Michigan, and she's like a bloodhound on the scent of a suspect when mushroom hunting. She easily out-picked me three to one last night. We got rained on pretty good while picking, so I'm heading back in a few days to see if a new crop pushes up.

        Comment


        • #19
          Brian those are some nice sized morels right there, reminds me of finding those big yellows back home. Hey Bushwackjack that was a lot of fun the other night I enjoyed watching your kids get all excited about finding their first shrooms.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Akhardwater View Post
            Brian those are some nice sized morels right there, reminds me of finding those big yellows back home. Hey Bushwackjack that was a lot of fun the other night I enjoyed watching your kids get all excited about finding their first shrooms.
            Yeah, that sure was. Thanks for taking me on my first morel hunt. I always wanted to try it out. I used to watch people when I was turkey hunting in the spring time but I never done it myself. My kids had a good time.

            Comment


            • #21
              Since it's warmed up a little, gonna give it another shot this weekend. Hoping not to strike out.
              hook, line, sinker, done.

              Comment


              • #22
                Here are the results of today's pick. This doesn't include the ones a friend picked while joining us.











                Comment


                • #23
                  Wow, those are some jumbo size Brian! Good job.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Very nice you guys did real good. How were they it looks like some of them might be starting to dry out, did you notice any fresh ones still poping? I must say though that spot looks real familiar 🤫

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Akhardwater View Post
                      Very nice you guys did real good. How were they it looks like some of them might be starting to dry out, did you notice any fresh ones still poping? I must say though that spot looks real familiar 🤫
                      Yeah, Id say maybe 1 in 5 felt a little dry and started to be a little crumbly. Most were pretty fresh - some very so - and the dry ones are dehydrating nicely. Well try once more if we get a few more good rain storms.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Look between Anchorage and Soldotna at multiple places. Only a few found. Most areas seemed dry and overgrown already, do we just need a rain to get them to pop or did I miss the opportunity?
                        hook, line, sinker, done.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Found a bunch of false morels between Willow and Cantwell yesterday, only a couple real ones.
                          hook, line, sinker, done.

                          Comment

                          Footer Adsense

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X