Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moose Fat....

You guys/gals ever do anything with it?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I will happily take any moose/caribou/blackbear fat you don't want! I will mix it with other wild meat, even grouse. Love the taste of it (if not too old)! My brother-in-law trims off any trace of fat from wild meat, but to me it is the essence of wild meat. And I never, ever put livestock fat in my burger because I don't want hormones and antibiotics in my wild meat.
    What else to do with it besides burger or sausage? My wife has been known to render the body and organ fat for Akutaq.

Comment

My brother recently mixed some small cubes of moose rump fat in with small chunks of backstrap which was then fried, and it was excellent! Some of it started to liquify, but the chunks remaining solid were super tasty. It wasn't great once it cooled and started to solidify, so at least with this method it was best eaten hot.

I know others that grind kidney fat in with their burger and swear by it. I've yet to try that approach, but intend to.

Comment

Taters and moose tenderloin fried in moose kidney fat.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Comment

Looks yummy Steve....(as always).....lol

Do you guys keep it on hand or just use it up right away? If you keep it stored away for another day do you freeze it?

Oh and Sayak.....We haven't added livestock fat to our wild game burger for years now. Just add olive or avocado oil. Works great and so much healthier for you....
          Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

I'm a huge fan of avocado oil! I use it almost exclusively unless I want the distinct flavor of olive oil. Except when I use duck fat, I guess. Love that duck fat.

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
              You guys/gals ever do anything with it?
              I didn't think of it in time when I was processing this fall but I want to try using it to make a few bars of soap.

Comment

Butcher shops say 'don't use fat from moose' Yeah, well why trim off the moose fat and then buy beef or pork fat?
                Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Our school has an Ed. Hunt permit and I brought down a nice cow last week. Meat is hanging now, but we saved all the organ fat and will be saving all the fat when we cut meat together in class next week. I want the kids to understand that well taken care of moose fat is delicious in burger and even on cuts of meat.

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
                    Looks yummy Steve....(as always).....lol

Do you guys keep it on hand or just use it up right away? If you keep it stored away for another day do you freeze it?

Oh and Sayak.....We haven't added livestock fat to our wild game burger for years now. Just add olive or avocado oil. Works great and so much healthier for you....
                    I would use it as soon as you can, I wouldn't keep it for too very long. Freezing it first does seem to make it easier to grind.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X