Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wild rasberries

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • wild rasberries

    I'm in the Wasilla area and was wondering where would be a good location to find decent wild raspberry patches. Our neighbor and I are wanting to make some jam and aren't that familiar where to look for them. We had our own patch in our yard when we lived in Anchorage. Please PM me with locations to start and maybe we can get a pie or jar of jam headed your way when successful. Thank you in advance.

  • #2
    Originally posted by dandeo2003 View Post
    I'm in the Wasilla area and was wondering where would be a good location to find decent wild raspberry patches. Our neighbor and I are wanting to make some jam and aren't that familiar where to look for them. We had our own patch in our yard when we lived in Anchorage. Please PM me with locations to start and maybe we can get a pie or jar of jam headed your way when successful. Thank you in advance.
    Wish I could help as I know pleny of spots down on the Peninsula.
    I am going to make a lot of wild raspberry jam this year I think.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

    Comment


    • #3
      KC, on the peninsula would be fine, we make several trips down for fishing and it wouldn't hurt to extend a trip to do some picking. We are also looking for other berries too. Such as cranberries(low & high bush), blueberries, salmonberries, mellonberries, etc.. Our neighbor moved down here from up by Livengood and isn't familiar with the picking areas or times down here and my wife is happy to have someone to go picking and do some jarring with when I'm gone.

      Comment


      • #4
        Has anyone been out to pick raspberries up near Fairbanks? When do they come in?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Daniel7723 View Post
          Has anyone been out to pick raspberries up near Fairbanks? When do they come in?
          On the Peninsula we pick them in early to mid August. Not sure on Fairbanks.
          When they are ripe don't dawdle pick them quick. A good rain will knock them off quickly.
          "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

          "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

          Comment


          • #6
            Just for the record guys do not be surprised if you don't get a lot of responses on berry patches.
            It is like giving out GPS coordinates to your favorite halibut fishing spot. If you give it out you may find it barren when you get out there yourself.
            Most berry pickers also have plenty of pies and Jams thats what we pick them for.
            My wife also makes and jars pie filling and makes berry pancakes all year round. As well as cobblers,jelly,sauces and syrups.
            dandeo2003 I sent you a PM
            "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

            "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
              Just for the record guys do not be surprised if you don't get a lot of responses on berry patches.
              It is like giving out GPS coordinates to your favorite halibut fishing spot. If you give it out you may find it barren when you get out there yourself.
              Most berry pickers also have plenty of pies and Jams thats what we pick them for.
              My wife also makes and jars pie filling and makes berry pancakes all year round. As well as cobblers,jelly,sauces and syrups.
              dandeo2003 I sent you a PM
              I was thinking same thing. I asked two years ago where to pick at, and was told to go find. Then the person took me but I was so new I have no Ida where we went.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by dandeo2003 View Post
                I'm in the Wasilla area and was wondering where would be a good location to find decent wild raspberry patches. Our neighbor and I are wanting to make some jam and aren't that familiar where to look for them. We had our own patch in our yard when we lived in Anchorage. Please PM me with locations to start and maybe we can get a pie or jar of jam headed your way when successful. Thank you in advance.
                The wild raspberries down here are pretty small! It would take a lot to do much with them. I do know a road with a lot of them, however. Mr. Dandeo, I will share that road location with you but you better not freakin' go and spread that info. PM me if you want.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by sayak View Post
                  The wild raspberries down here are pretty small! It would take a lot to do much with them. .
                  I don't know guy.....there's been a few patches I've hit that had some pretty good size to them.........
                  Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    There are no raspberries off the parks highway so don't go look'n there. Nothing to pick here...just move along:nyanya:
                    If we all agreed....this would be no fun

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
                      I don't know guy.....there's been a few patches I've hit that had some pretty good size to them.........
                      I've run into domestic raspberries in places where people had camped or lived. Or perhaps they were hybridized, anyway, they were good size berries. The ones that are obviously wild, however, seem to get no bigger than my thumb nail.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by sayak View Post
                        I've run into domestic raspberries in places where people had camped or lived. Or perhaps they were hybridized, anyway, they were good size berries. The ones that are obviously wild, however, seem to get no bigger than my thumb nail.
                        Yes, for the most part the wild raspberries around here are indeed pretty small. But while moose hunting I have stumbled across a few wild patches that were nice sized. I just wish I'd still find the low bush blueberries like I used to see.....
                        Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Something that has worked really really well for me over the years is scouting for berries.
                          Buy the berry book for AK and learn what the plants and flowers look like with out berries.
                          Then whenever I am out fishing,hunting,hiking,etc. I am always on the lookout for berry plants.
                          Keep that in mind as you are out and about. Know what terrain the berries like and you will begin to find the plants. Mark them on your GPS or in your memory bank, come berry season youll know right where to look.
                          "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

                          "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            We have our own secret stash of bushes, but were out around Jim Creek area last weekend and saw lots of berries and bushes. Might be worth checking the area out!

                            Good luck!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              If you have a canoe you could check out the Canoe Trails in the Kenai National Wildlife refuge. We found quite a few in the portage between paddle lake and channel lake.

                              That said, there is something to be said for having your own patch. A friend gave us some starters several years back and our small patch easily yields 5 gallons a year.
                              Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

                              If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X