Invert Tires warm garden planters/round raise beds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invert Tires warm garden planters/round raise beds

Sun heats the black rubber. help with soil warmth.
    cut out one side wall right at tread,
    tricky to roll inverted but after a few it's easy.
    Need bigger opening, cut out other side wall 1/2 way to the tread. (too far it gets floppy)
    Free at many of the tire shops/stores. Good recycle use.
    Don't look like tires now, look like a fancy raised bed garden planter. roud:
    Throw it where you want it on the ground.
    Fill with compost/soil mix, (tip: pack the outside of the bottom layer so when you water the water
    don't run down & out the tire/soil interface.)
    stick in a broccoli, (or sun flower, onions, lettuce etc) easy to water. last a long time.
    Attached Files

Great idea on how to use the tires. I was thinking of using some this year also and was worried how they would look. They look much better how you have done them. Thanks for the idea!

Comment

That looks like a way sweet garden, in fact genius.
      Low maintance, High yeild and extended growing time, and all this whole time i been trying to make my garden look like ol grannys but mostly ended up with a few bushels of green tomatoes and a bunch of weeds.
      How do you water? got anymore pictures?

Comment

if anyone needs some tire i got some you can have for free, if you have a nice rack i might require a hug tho.
        Semper Fi!

Comment

LOL...no rack, but need tires..too bad I'm in North Pole.

Comment

Originally posted by AKHuntressNP View Post
            LOL...no rack, but need tires..too bad I'm in North Pole.
            u can drive down and get um, i got a extra bed at myplace
            Semper Fi!

Comment

Originally posted by greythorn3 View Post
              u can drive down and get um, i got a extra bed at myplace

Hmmm, is it solar heated like mudbuddy makes? hehe

Comment

i dont know, i use fuel oil and wood.
                Semper Fi!

Comment

Originally posted by slimm View Post
                  That looks like a way sweet garden, in fact genius.
                  Low maintance, High yeild and extended growing time, and all this whole time i been trying to make my garden look like ol grannys but mostly ended up with a few bushels of green tomatoes and a bunch of weeds.
                  How do you water? got anymore pictures?
                  Water: I have 2 -- 55 gallon drums elevated, well is cold water, sun heats the water in the drums. I ran garden hose around with "T"s & short waters hoses where needed. Gravity from drums.
                  Going to almost all raised beds filled with compost.
                  Pic: 1 is May last year, from standing on compost bin, can se drums. 2nd: later in the year from water drums
                  Attached Files

Comment

DOn't take this the wrong way - I think the tire deal is great - but I am wondering about the fact that rubber, being a petroleum product, would leech into the soil and kind of ruin the whole "organic" gardening experience. I don't know anything about it, but just my first thought. Love the idea, and the watering method is exactly what I tried to convince my wife of - and she shot it down until she saw yours! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by mudbuddy View Post
                      Water: I have 2 -- 55 gallon drums elevated, well is cold water, sun heats the water in the drums. I ran garden hose around with "T"s & short waters hoses where needed. Gravity from drums.
                      Going to almost all raised beds filled with compost.
                      Pic: 1 is May last year, from standing on compost bin, can se drums. 2nd: later in the year from water drums
                      Really like this idea...I usually just have a bucket inside my greenhouse that I water with..you know, fill it up, let water warm up, use gallon milk jug to get water and water plants...the way you have it set up is great. I had thought of something like that, but didn't think of the gravity feed thing. I was wondering how to "pump" the water out. Although, doubt the gravity feed thing will work with the soaker hoses I bought last year.

Keep the ideas coming...My husband is soo going to hate you though. He already swears I make a couple extra passes with my tiller each year and that my garden has doubled in size since I started it 4 years ago

Comment

I have a I think its a 40 gl rubbermake trash can in my green house the sun heats up the water in the day
                        and puts out some heat after the sun gos down

Comment

AK explorer:
                          "rubber, being a petroleum product, would leech into the soil and kind of ruin the whole "organic" gardening"

I believe tires break down less than other rubbers & plastics (tires in land fills still since the 50s)
                          I use: rubber, vinyl & plastic hoses; PVC water pipes, valves & fittings; various plastic plant pots & starter 6 packs; various Clear, black & white sheet plastics; several various plastic kitchen utensils; a microwave; plastic 55 gallon drums; Green house sheeting; Aspirin; various size plastic trash cans; 5 gallon plastic buckets; nylon strings & ropes; & on & on. All petroleum products
                          Even my Horse Manure compost is not considered "organic".
                          I buy some plants from commercial nursery's, Green houses & other stores, knowing they use
                          pesticides, plant foods & procedures not meeting "true organic" criteria.

I just haven't figured out how to be a "true blue, hard core organic gardner" If you have, you are "Awesome".

GH water:
                          Water from drums also feeds the GH for auto watering & various uses.
                          Just have to remember to keep the drums full. Underground hose to a GH manifold valve to fill them.
                          I turn the valve on & try to remember to shut it off. Now I have a piece of orange yarn on the valve, goes on
                          my finger until I shut the valve. Have overfilled a few times for hours, irrigates the garden well,
                          but muddy mess sometimes.
                          Need an overfill shut off or a timed valve, some day. (On the list)

Comment

I didn't know they break down slower. I'm not fully organic if using a hose disqualifies. LOL Just an observation tho - really cool idea!

Comment

i only water my garden with my urine, hows that for organtic?
                              Semper Fi!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X