No announcement yet.

Starting Your Garden?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it took 8 days for my Tomatoe seeds to start sprouting... I've never tried growing any of the golden varieties... (yet).../John

Comment

The Gold Nugget/Golden Nugget variety has done very well for us, even after the old greenhouse imploded. They did well in raised beds, out in the elements.

If you start them in a timely fashion, keep a decent ph, and feed them what they like best, you'll have golden-orange, tasty cherrry tomatoes in unbelievable quantity right through Fall. They're truly a multi-climate, fairly-fast-maturing, full-flavored cherry tomato. One of the primary types we plant on a year-to-year basis.

Comment

Planted our tomato seeds Monday here they are today..

Comment

I recently moved to Alaska and this year will be first year at an attempt at a garden ever. I lived in Las Vegas for most of my life where water shortages keep gardening to a minimum. I live in the western part of AK in the bush and I hoping to try some alpine strawberries, green bell peppers, heirloom tomatoes, green beans, snow peas, nutri-red carrots, watermelons, different leaf lettuce varieties, and onions. I've started planting indoors already, just as everyone else here. I think I'm a bit in over my head, but I'm excited nevertheless.
          Lone Alaskan Gypsy
          Lover of arctic fox and northern lights.
          Reader of arctic runes. Alaskan storyteller. Handcrafted trinket trader. Grower of organic plants.
          Find me online at www.lonealaskangypsy.com and at fairs, markets, and festivals around AK.

Comment

couple since it made my day when I checked on them this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by COtoAK View Post
              garnede,
              Pictures?
              You can follow the link in my signature line to my blog for pictures. I'm in the process of making some post for today.

Originally posted by Bsj425 View Post
              I use ed hume seeds as well and some denali seeds. What does everyone use to get them started? we usually have our own little planters and used plugs with soil but this year we got a couple of these jiffy green house things with the pellets. Has anyone used these before with any success?

http://www0.epinions.com/review/Jiff...t_329403174532
              Those peat pellets do work, but I think I prefer seed trays or a traditional seed box. Just build a box out of scrap wood, boards from broken pallets work well. Then fill them with 1/2 compost or peat moss and 1/2 screened garden soil. Then plant...

I am also looking to make some raised beds outside and I would like to use wood and make them aesthetically pleasing as well, before we had some very crude beds out of rebar and some old metal roofing while they were effective they didnt look the greatest. Everything I have read says dont use treated wood. Are there any types of wood that is safe short of making it out of logs or finding someone with a mill that can make some for me? I read cedar is ok to use but man is it pricey! Or would it be ok to use treated wood then line the inside with some sort of plastic liner.I dont think anything would seep through it and it would help keep heat in the soil.
              Cedar, cyprus, oak, red wood, and sometimes spruce make good weather resistant garden planters. If you can find a sawmill get some rough sawn boards or even scrap cuts and trim them to make it look neater.
              It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

got our sweatpea flowers in the planters today. will see when they pop up!
                Semper Fi!

Comment

BSJ!!!! You guys already have sprouts!! Amazing!!!
                  Lurker.

Comment

Originally posted by COtoAK View Post
                    BSJ!!!! You guys already have sprouts!! Amazing!!!
                    I know I was suprised as well I usually don't look at them for about 2 weeks after I plant the seeds and even then some aren't sprouted this time it took 5 days and 23 out of the 25 pellets have sprouted and some of them have
                    Multiple sprouts.

Comment

I know I was suprised as well I usually don't look at them for about 2 weeks after I plant the seeds and even then some aren't sprouted this time it took 5 days and 23 out of the 25 pellets have sprouted and some of them have
                      Multiple sprouts.
                      I am so proud of you. We just bought our seeds. I had ever intention on starting them this weekend just like the style that you have (inside of those round soil pads). We just haven't found the ones that I want to use just yet.
                      Lurker.

Comment

I am also looking to make some raised beds outside and I would like to use wood and make them aesthetically pleasing as well, before we had some very crude beds out of rebar and some old metal roofing while they were effective they didnt look the greatest. Everything I have read says dont use treated wood. Are there any types of wood that is safe short of making it out of logs or finding someone with a mill that can make some for me? I read cedar is ok to use but man is it pricey! Or would it be ok to use treated wood then line the inside with some sort of plastic liner.I dont think anything would seep through it and it would help keep heat in the soil.
                        I found this amazing site online that has really helped me with creating my raised garden. http://www.no-dig-vegetablegarden.com/ They were chocked full of information. I live out in the bush where not very many things are readily available and I was feeling a bit overwhelmed. This website definately helped calm my nerves, I'm sure it could give you some helpful hints too!
                        Lone Alaskan Gypsy
                        Lover of arctic fox and northern lights.
                        Reader of arctic runes. Alaskan storyteller. Handcrafted trinket trader. Grower of organic plants.
                        Find me online at www.lonealaskangypsy.com and at fairs, markets, and festivals around AK.

Comment

We held off on the melons for now. I'll instead plant them in another week or so.

Thus far we've planted (12) Gold Nugget tomatoes, (12) Oregon Spring tomatoes, (12) hybrid, short-season egg plants, (6) Hungarian Hot Wax peppers, (6) Sweet Banana peppers, (6) Short-season jalapeno peppers, (6) Anaheim peppers, (6) red bell sweet peppers, and (6) Cayenne peppers.

We'll plant another similar amount of the peppers, 12 of a third tomato variety, and the melons (canteloupe and watermelon), in about a week, filling up another flat, and staggering the starts a bit, ending up initially with two flats of 72 each.

From there, a bit later, we'll start some of the different varieties of squash (Table King Danish, Black Beauty zuchinni, early yellow crook neck, bush scallop, etc.), broccoli, and who-know-what, in another couple of weeks or so.

Beautiful sunshine hitting the windows these days, though still with cold nights and warm days (30-50 degree temp. spread between night and day/highs and lows). Worried that the snow will leave too soon this year, but.... it'll be what ever it'll be.

Comment

Its time
                            Got my seeds in
                            Peppers -California Wonders, Crispy Hybrid from Burpees Ancho,Joe parkers and Jalapeno from Renee's
                            Tomatos-Better boys,Romas ,EarlyGirls,Early Red Chiefs and some Sub-Arctic
                            let the summer begin

Comment

Seed staring!

In the last day and a half about half of the tomato seeds I planted have sprouted. Can anyone tell me why staring at my little planters every five minutes won't make the rest of them sprout faster?
                              "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Comment

They're either shy, or they're reclusive asocialites, or both.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X