Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Your Garden?

When are you starting your garden??
    We are going to be starting ours on Saturday this week!!!
    Tomatoes and Cucumbers first!!!
    Lurker.

I started my tomatoes last Friday... everything else we'll plant direct in mid May...

Comment

Originally posted by Old John View Post
      I started my tomatoes last Friday... everything else we'll plant direct in mid May...
      What kinds of toms did you start?
      Lurker.

Comment

I'm not up there, but I extended my plantings by about 700-800 seedlings today. All were either heirloom or organic except for the onions and leeks.
        It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

We are starting ours this weekend also tomatoes and cucumbers first followed by green beans

Comment

Lots of great responses here.
            Usually I follow the suggestion board at Holm Town Garden, but I have a heated garage this year so I'll be taking in the plants into the garage to start the germination process!
            Lurker.

Comment

My tomatos are 8-10 inches high, the cukes are about to bloom, the cantaloupes are about 6-8 tall the lettuce and corriander have been harvested for the last 2 weeks can't wait for the watermelon radishes to get big. All the windows are full will kick on the heat in the greenhouse in a week or so. Going to clone my black current bush this year Hormex #8 works great did some tasts this winter.

Comment

Originally posted by COtoAK View Post
                What kinds of toms did you start?
                Siletz out of Ed Hume seeds
                I've never had very good luck with tomatoes here in the Mat-Su... so every year I try something different... maybe some year I'll have a real crop of "matters"..../John

Comment

alaskamokaiman,
                  Are you in Alaska? Was this from a year round greenhouse of yours?

Old John,
                  Maybe you should consider a few different types and just putting the kinds of seeds into a file so that you can determine which are the best toms for you to plant. I have ones that I will only try from a certain brand. They are beefsteak toms and I did pretty good on some cherry toms, too. The seeds I purchased at Holm Town Garden in Fairbanks.

BSJ,
                  What kinds of seeds are you starting from this weekend?

garnede,
                  Pictures?
                  Lurker.

Comment

thanks for the heads up kimberly I have been witing for someone to make a post on this
                    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
                    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
                    Μολών λαβέ

Comment

CotoAK
                      that's a good idea about a file... of course the weather has a lot to do with it, and each year is just a little different... This is the first time I've tried planting my own starts... and I picked this type as it's supposed to be good for this climate and they are supposed to be early... The problem, short of giving in and building a green house, is keeping the plants/roots warm enough... Last year, a cool year, I had some plants in 5 gal black buckets... This year I'm thinking of trying white buckets... I got this idea because I know if I cover my garden area with Black visqueen it doesn't warm the soil as fast as if I cover it with clear visqueen... /John

Comment

I use ed hume seeds as well and some denali seeds. What does everyone use to get them started? we usually have our own little planters and used plugs with soil but this year we got a couple of these jiffy green house things with the pellets. Has anyone used these before with any success?

http://www0.epinions.com/review/Jiff...t_329403174532

Comment

Toms just poking thru.
                          Early girl, 4th july, Brandy wine Cow lick (OP), sweet 100, & a yellow (OP) from Mom, back east.
                          Celery & pansies also seeds in but no sprouts yet
                          Last year toms cucs from GH (other just a garden zuc)
                          Left to right 4th july, EG, sophies choice, Pink brandywine

Comment

Originally posted by ironartist View Post
                            thanks for the heads up kimberly I have been witing for someone to make a post on this
                            Of course! Anytime!

Originally posted by Old John View Post
                            CotoAK
                            that's a good idea about a file... of course the weather has a lot to do with it, and each year is just a little different... This is the first time I've tried planting my own starts... and I picked this type as it's supposed to be good for this climate and they are supposed to be early... The problem, short of giving in and building a green house, is keeping the plants/roots warm enough... Last year, a cool year, I had some plants in 5 gal black buckets... This year I'm thinking of trying white buckets... I got this idea because I know if I cover my garden area with Black visqueen it doesn't warm the soil as fast as if I cover it with clear visqueen... /John
                            Okay... so the visqueen deal works, but it has to be the clear stuff. The black stuff only works with corn. The plastic is tried and true. We've done that at the end of the season every year. This year, I am starting my toms earlier so hopefully they will be much more ripe than the years before, but sure enough, come every single August, the rain comes in for days and we lose all of that sunlight. If the sun is going to do it's work for us, it's going to do it in June and July... not in August. But... you are going to want to keep that moisture inside and quarantine it so help continue the growth of your plants. Clear visqueen is the way to go.

Originally posted by Bsj425 View Post
                            I use ed hume seeds as well and some denali seeds. What does everyone use to get them started? we usually have our own little planters and used plugs with soil but this year we got a couple of these jiffy green house things with the pellets. Has anyone used these before with any success?

http://www0.epinions.com/review/Jiff...t_329403174532
                            Oh yeah... we have done strawberries in those topsy turvy and upside down planters and they seem to work really, really well!

Originally posted by mudbuddy View Post
                            Toms just poking thru.
                            Early girl, 4th july, Brandy wine Cow lick (OP), sweet 100, & a yellow (OP) from Mom, back east.
                            Celery & pansies also seeds in but no sprouts yet
                            Last year toms cucs from GH (other just a garden zuc)
                            Left to right 4th july, EG, sophies choice, Pink brandywine
                            Oh good. I remember seeing this picture from last year. You did a great job on your garden. I don't think that I posted any pictures of our garden on AOD from last year.
                            I'll keep up better with this for next year.
                            Lurker.

Comment

COtoAk yes I am in Palmer have a small 12x12 that I put heat in over the winter. In the past I have started the seed late January so I get lettuce radishes and leafy stuff before I can put them in the greenhouse this year I bought a LED light and I am way ahead of last year.
                              The peat pellet things work keep the seeds warm like 74-76* and you will get a very good start, as soon as you see roots put the pellet on top of some dirt in a bigger pot let the roots run down in the pot lets you put 2-3 in a larger pot and not crowd them.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X