No announcement yet.

Keeping slugs at bay.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use wood ash right now to treat the soil. Maybe a berm of it around the edge week help. Of course our rain level over here is not going to help.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 1 week ago.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

I have had decent luck with the commercially available organic slug killer.
      I do notice when it's used regularly that it does keep the slug population down.
      The problem is on years like this one where we have excessive rain it's really hard to keep up with it and it does get expensive if you have to reapply it every few days due to rain.
      When I was a kid my mom used the beer trick. She used the little aluminum pie pans from pot pies we had for dinner to hold the beer.
      You'll read a lot about snails not liking sharp edges such as eggshells. But they actually have video of snails crossing over razor blades so the whole idea of sharp things is a fallacy.
      Another one I heard about that I may try next year is a thin strip of flat copper or copper tape attached to the wood all the way around your raised beds just below the top.
      Some of the videos I've watched suggest hooking a 9-volt battery to the copper strip, but others say just the copper is sufficient as the slugs do not like to cross it.
      https://youtu.be/ENMwst9DTsw
      But I got to admit I really really hate slugs myself.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

"The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

A quick internet search showed sand and sawdust as good things to keep slugs out of a garden. Egg shells and pistachio shells also were on the list.
        Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

I've tried the organic slug killer and had little success. Sand, sawdust, egg shells, etc. haven't worked for me. I'll probably try a weed burner this year and just torch everything around my sidewalk. I hate the dam* things.
          Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post
            A quick internet search showed sand and sawdust as good things to keep slugs out of a garden. Egg shells and pistachio shells also were on the list.
            Egg shells are not effective on slugs.
            In fact if they aren't cleaned first they may even attract slugs.
            Here's a reference article:
            http://www.allaboutslugs.com/eggshel...ttract%20slugs!

Bone dry sand, gravel or diatomaceous earth will deter them a bit from my research.
            How would you have kept the sand dry this last summer?
            I've never found anything that completely eliminates them..
            But I have found the commercial slug killer does significantly reduce the numbers in my raised beds if applied regularly during the summer.
            Completely encircle the raised bed with the slug killer for effective results.
            The problem this summer was it rained so much and I could not keep up with applying the slug killer while I was working on the slope.
            I think the excessive rain caused the slug killer to wash away more quickly than it has in the past.
            I am going to try the copper strips/tape around my raised beds this coming summer.
            Even if it reduces their numbers a bit it will help.

Comment

At my brothers place in Wa. he puts out Sluggo to keep them away from the heat pump cause the small ones get inside and screw things up. I noticed that they didn't go far onto the crushed rock next to the house so I put some around the heat pump. They didn't cross it. Even in the rain.

Comment

I found these. It looks like it could be fun. But not sure if I'd have to boil them first. Lots of great replies.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
                  I found these. It looks like it could be fun. But not sure if I'd have to boil them first. Lots of great replies.

Yes you'll need to boil that in some logwood dye.
                  And then wax it well and set it for a hair trigger.

Comment

Get yourself a couple of ducks. They are voracious slug eaters. They likely enjoy strawberries just as much however. The right breed lays better than the best of chickens as well.

Comment

Growing up we always had bird houses and bird feeders around our gardens. Free pest control.

Comment

I would have to depend on natural birds eating them here. People close to me have tried chickens and ducks and they become bear/martin/river otter/ermine/eagle food.

i had a yellow lab once and he left his bunny rabbit stuffed animal in the yard. I looked out and an eagle was about 3 feet away just eyeing the thing. Walked right up to it and smelled it. I wish I could find the picture I took of it.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
                          I would have to depend on natural birds eating them here. People close to me have tried chickens and ducks and they become bear/martin/river otter/ermine/eagle food.

i had a yellow lab once and he left his bunny rabbit stuffed animal in the yard. I looked out and an eagle was about 3 feet away just eyeing the thing. Walked right up to it and smelled it. I wish I could find the picture I took of it.
                          Had eagles swoop down and snatch duck decoys off the lake at the gf's place.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X