Garden soil source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garden soil source?

We live between Wasilla and Palmer. We are going to start raised bed gardening next spring and I’m building 8 raised beds this fall. Any suggestions on where to get a good garden soil mix? i will need about 15 yards and need it delivered. Thanks.

Originally posted by akpackfan View Post
    We live between Wasilla and Palmer. We are going to start raised bed gardening next spring and I’m building 8 raised beds this fall. Any suggestions on where to get a good garden soil mix? i will need about 15 yards and need it delivered. Thanks.
    Susitna Organics. Their soil is really high quality and will get you off to a good start. Their garden soil has compost mixed in and is way, WAY better than topsoil. They will deliver for loads the size you're looking for.

Comment

Thank you Brian. I will give them a call this week.

Comment

I like Susitna organics as well, however for me its just a base soil that gets heavily amended before going in the beds.

Comment

Originally posted by Alasgun View Post
          I like Susitna organics as well, however for me its just a base soil that gets heavily amended before going in the beds.
          Thanks for the input Alasgun. Can you please elaborate on how you amend the soil?

Comment

Sure, a little background first. We’re full on organic and if your a chemical guy none of this will matter to you. if you are still interested i’ll mention, there’s a lot more to this than just the dirt but if your all in, this is a great starting point.
            For the sake of easy math, this recipe is PER BED. Our beds are 3ft by 12 ft and 36 inches deep. Over the last 3 years, in the spring each bed receives the following.
            10 lbs. of Azomite, 10 lbs. of Andersons Humic DG and 10 lbs. of paramagnetic bassalt. Then from “Down to earth” the following amendments. 3 cups Kelp meal, 1 cup Langenbite, 3 cups Oyster Shell, 5 cups Fish bone meal, 3 cups Alfafal meal, and 2 cups Feather meal. All this stuff is available on Amazon or ebay, some of it probably locally but due to the variety and quantity we use, i shop online. Its a lot less headache.
            after broadcasting evenly over the top of the beds fork everything into the top 6 inches. The document i put together to help get going folks is 12 pages long but i’ll quit here.
            In the foreground is the potato bed then some broccoli and kale. That picture was taken June 27th!
            Results speak for themselves!
            Last edited by Alasgun; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

Outside in the beds we grow Pumpkins, potatoes, chard, kale, broccoli, cabbage, peas, beets, carrots and parsnips. In the greenhouse- tomatoes, cucumbers, celery, parsley, bush and pole beans. Everything is grown in the same soil mix.
              Everyday we’d get this many Beans, Cukes and Tomatoes when things were hopping! All thats left in the greenhouse right now is the one big tomato plant some celery and parsley. The tomatoe is still setting flowers and ripening fruit. She’ll keep going (slowly) for another month at least.
              Celebrity tomatoe, Sweet success cucumber and Blue lake pole beans have worked this well for us the last 3 years.

Comment

I would use hay bales for base then topsoil let them mulch. Google Hay Bale gardens. Works great and ground temps are warmer as it breaks down. Been doing it for over 5 years now.

Comment

Id be i interested in seeing some result photos of this arrangement?

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X